TRAVR

adminadmin Posts: 169
edited March 2014 in Coming Soon
Hi all,

We just announced TRAVR (pronounce Trevor), the first (mini) game made specifically for the Omni! TRAVR is a totally immersive, open-source demo and Omni trainer utilizing the Omni SDK for motion control. You will be TRAVR, a futuristic VR adventurer who was been transported to an ancient planet. You must escape this hostile world in a limited time by finding a remote gate and utilizing a range of motion and control tactics. TRAVR combines real-time pressure of an arcade game with the immersion of the Oculus Rift, motion controllers, and the Omni.

1069390_10151501310741727_1973562027_n.jpg

994505_10151501310851727_183456151_n.jpg

TRAVR demonstrates the game dynamics of free move/aim/look with analog player direction and speed when using the Virtuix Omni. This demo will be designed to help developers integrate the Omni into upcoming VR titles using the most dynamic and compelling motion and control modes available today. This mini-game will be a test bed for innovative movement paradigms and will demonstrate coding methodologies. Most importantly, this game will be made for you, and we will listen to your input regarding elements you would like to see incorporated into the game.

Let us know what you would like to see in this game?

Best regards,

Jan

Comments

• RaoulRaoul Posts: 125
    Looks cool, it would be great being able to play a game that supports full implementation of the Omni from day one.

Give that character model a mustache and some longer sideburns, and I'd say he looks suspiciously like Ben. :)
  • Nice. Well done. Stretch goal?

I think having increasing levels of difficulty might be interesting. Having to run further in shorter periods of time, for example. Being able to chart your progression could be cool. Make the OMNI a cross over into the exercise market?

I'm also very interested to see what sort of tuning options you'll provide. For example, how much a user has to move his feet to trigger running. Will that be fixed or configurable? How easy will it be to configure it?

Sometimes I'm feeling lazy and I want to be able to trigger a run just by making small movements. Sometimes I want a workout.
  • Looks awesome!

@Raoul

I actually talked to ben and told him it looks like him. He got a kick out of that.
    “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one”

― Bruce Lee
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,059
    @Raoul @BankaiDylan: The mustache and sideburns were merely a disguise. Now my true identity has been uncovered that dragon is sure to find me again :cry:

I would like to see an emphasis on survival - filling a canteen with water, building a fire, obtaining food from the environment. Items could be added to utility pouches on your character's jacket and retrieved using motion controllers.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    @Ben, better get to stretching those legs then, cause it look's like you'll be doing a lot of running soon. Maybe find yourself one of those Jan Goetgeluk wigs, that seems to work well for Dr. Evil. :)

In all seriousness what I would like is for the game to be as accessible as possible. Maybe even have a separate level where there are no game objectives, just a small virtual environment to explore like the Tuscany demo.

This game will probably be used a lot to demo the Omni/Rift to people who have never experienced VR before. Therefore it should aim to be be as friendly to VR virgins as possible. Things like proper scale, visible arms/legs, IPD configuration through the Rift SDK, maybe positional tracking through a Razer Hydra, are very important. Also keeping the system requirements as low as possible to get a consistent 60 fps on an average PC would seem wise.

Although if this game is released fully open source I'm sure the community would get right to work on integrating those features into the game.
    Dammit - Not again!

frontcam4_zps8c87b42d.jpg

tailcam3_zps5af11a73.jpg

I knew this would happen. Thanks a lot guys :cry:
  • @SutekiB

You are to funny my friend! That is just hilarious!!!!

― Bruce Lee
  • adminadmin Posts: 169
    Haha, that is hilarious!

All good suggestions. Note that the game will be focused on full and natural motion and the innovative possibilities with the Omni. Collecting objects etc. will not be part of this mini-game. We want to provide an exciting and thrilling VR ride!

Blazespinnaker, good idea! We are thinking about adding running / walking sensitivity.

Best regards,

Jan
  • Will there be some hot girl characters in this game?
  • Might be cool if there were a facial/body import feature . Might be beyond the scope of this particular project, but for future immersion I see it being a desirable feature. Your webcam or Kinect could snap 6 shots of you at appropriate angles as you rotate in the omni and import your skin/body shape/hair etc onto the default character.
  • NighteyesNighteyes Posts: 29
    Can't wait to try this out. It looks like it should be a very fun experience with the Omni and Rift.
    edited April 2014
    @Firehazard159: There will almost certainly be some kind of 'body import' at least as far as calibrating your height (hopefully shoulder width too), as this is recommended for VR. Being able to select skin tone is a good idea. Hair and facial features are less important as it will be 1st person with few or no out of body cutscenes (the pictures are just to give us an idea of the character and what we can expect to be doing - a lot of running by the looks of it!)
    On the subject of music, I'm leaning towards ambient - you don't want something so overpowering it breaks immersion. It should give you a feeling of comfort, excitement, happiness and adventure! We want to make a good first impression. Maybe for the intro something classical and profound - like this:

edited April 2014
    Here's a project on Kickstarter you might like. They have 3 days left, will provide Oculus Rift support but are offering enhanced compatibility as a stretch goal. Interesting to compare it to TRAVR, as in this you also explore another planet. Their teaser video:

A more descriptive video:

KIckstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tyl ... na-passage
    edited April 2014
    Idea for some gameplay. You're running up through a pass and boulders are rolling towards you. Maybe the dragon is knocking piles of them down, then flying further up the ravine and repeating. You have to avoid by zig-zagging. The path may narrow in some areas and you have to jump over smaller debris. You could have a scoring system where you lose points by getting hit, gain more the faster you complete the section.

edited April 2014
    Let's just take it all the way and go for this :)

edited April 2014
    Speaking of dreams :D

• That is so awesome!

― Bruce Lee
    edited April 2014
    Whatever happens, do not be tempted to get TRAVR sponsored by Pepsi. :)

New TRAVR screenshots! Check update #19 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game/posts/753764

Let the speculation begin!

KzV7vby.jpg

It already has independent looking and (analogue!) moving vectors. If it also has co-op AND independent aiming so you can bring the gun to your face to line the reticule up with enemies, then this will be the most awesome introduction to VR you could have! :D

I'm guessing if you don't own the STEM (assuming it will be supported) and you want to use the reticule you would hold a button and that would bring the sight up to your face and you'd aim by looking with the Rift.

Thoughts?

5TQktyB.jpg

This is beautiful too. Well done Virtuix! Can't wait to walk on that beach. Are those shells? Hope I can reach down and pick them up with the STEM (possible with home-customized support) - that would be cool. So pumped right now! Don't mind waiting until May/June if they do have to postpone the shipping again.
    Some more images:

The wall of this room

8BX6vPz.jpg

Reminds me of the holodeck from The Lawnmower Man

4Q69gTJ.jpg

And if you look closely...

NovU1y6.jpg

:D

What are they doing there? It has crossed my mind while using it that it would help immersion if both your starting and end point were virtual Omnis. That way you transition more seamlessly between both worlds. It could be this is where the game loads, and maybe where you have to save the game from, instead of bringing up a menu. It may have something to do with multiplayer but I'm not sure. There are probably three of them (one obscured by the gun). Why is that? Could it be level selection? Or are there 3 connected zones in this game and you work through them, making two of these checkpoints?
  • I'm guessing if you don't own the STEM (assuming it will be supported) and you want to use the reticule you would hold a button and that would bring the sight up to your face and you'd aim by looking with the Rift.

Thoughts?

5TQktyB.jpg

This is beautiful too. Well done Virtuix! Can't wait to walk on that beach. Are those shells? Hope I can reach down and pick them up with the STEM (possible with home-customized support) - that would be cool. So pumped right now! Don't mind waiting until May/June if they do have to postpone the shipping again.[/quote]
  • Really hope it supports STEM controller!
  • Same, STEM support would be awesome. It would make TRAVR a go to demo game for VR technology making sure the Omni stays up there with Oculus and Sixsense.

Hope the delay isn't too long... but don't rush the product.
  • We hope to be able to integrate STEM as well. The idea of having multiple STEM modules available for game play activities is very appealing. We are speaking with Sixense in order to create an integrated demo. Pretty tricky when both platforms (Omni & STEM) are both just prototypes. Sixense are a bunch of great people though. I'm certain we will be able to get something together.
  • Dev_Guy_RobertDev_Guy_Robert Posts: 173
    edited April 2014
    Ben,

As you have so keenly pointed out, there are indeed some platforms within TRAVR that resemble the Omni. These are transfer stations in an area that acts much like a bus terminal. The transfer stations are where our players jump on to transport themselves to new and fantastical worlds. The image below shows the station when it is open and when it is closed. The question is, where did the TRAVR agent go? Well, we will just have to wait a little bit longer to see :) Better yet, come by our booth at GDC and see for yourself!

edited April 2014
    First teaser trailer for TRAVR - I love this! Terrific job by Orb Interactive. I've been looking at their other work and they really are an amazing team with a beautiful art style. We are so lucky to have them making this game! Surely this is the best stretch goal in this history of Kickstarter? :D

More pics & info on the TRAVR page here: http://www.virtuix.com/travr-shadows-ops/
  • TrabbiTrabbi Posts: 19
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering, are you guys planning to add weapon tracking support via the stem system or prioVR?

I backed all of this on kickstarter and preordered the dk2, so I'm looking for the best vr experience I can get. I've heard the half life VR guys are planning to natively support the omni. I'm sure I could spent months with half life in VR, but still it would be great if you would add some of those tracking systems aswell.

I don't wanna wait for july :(
  • MJoMJo Posts: 36
    @Trabbi, as Dev_Guy_Robert mentioned we are indeed looking at integrating the STEM into our TRAVR demo to create an even more immersive experience, and we hope to be able to show gun tracking soon! We are definitely trying to bring you the best VR experience we can provide.
    Hi @MJo, as the STEM is a split controller, I wonder if there are any plans to build around that. For instance, adding hand to hand combat if say you run out of ammo, or manipulating objects?
  • TrabbiTrabbi Posts: 19
    Thanks for the answer MJo. I totally missed Dev_Guy_Robert's comment. From half life VR I know that weapontracking adds a whole new layer to the vr experience.
    I also saw a video of some guy using prioVR with the omni, that could also be a great fit.