Novint XIO Controller

bjousmabjousma Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Motion Controllers

This looks like it could be a great peripheral for the Omni and Rift combination. Though, it appears that this company hasn't done too much lately.

Comments

• RaoulRaoul Posts: 125
    This company has announced something lately: http://www.novint.com/index.php/novint/management

And it doesn't look good. :(
  • bjousmabjousma Posts: 3
    It may not be a bad idea for Razer to buy out this product or any company trying to get into the VR market.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,061
    I was thinking the same bjousma. I like the look of the Xio. Shame for all that research to go to waste just when VR is experiencing a major revival.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    I'm not so sure, have some serious doubts about the Xio. Mainly that it's near impossible to make something like this:
    - Light enough to comfortably wear while running.
    - Strong enough to resist a user's arm muscles.
    - Flexible enough to move freely.
    - Wireless and sell for a reasonable price.

For it to work in VR it would have to be all of these things. Having tried the Novint Falcon I can tell you it was none of those. Therefore I don't see a bright future for the Xio, even if it's picked up by another company.

It seems that haptic feedback will be the next holy grail of VR technology. But I believe it will take quite some time, with several failed attempts before anyone get's it right.
    @Raoul: good points, that's the challenge.

I guess we'll never know how effective the force feedback on the commercial version would have been. I'm hoping for something like this which you can wear and it will put your arms in the game, leaving your hands free to use props (knives, guns etc) - as he in the demo.

I'm ready for another kickstarter 8-)
    @Ben

For putting your arm in the game the Myo control armband would probably be your best bet. Certainly for games that are not designed with VR in mind, this seems to be the most suitable product available in the near future. Supporting hand/finger gesture recognition, and tracking of rotation and subtle movements. Those should translate nicely to button presses as input for traditional games.

Since it doesn't seem to feature absolute positional tracking, for true VR games it might have to be paired with a stem from Sixense. But it would leave your hands free to use props.

As far as force feedback goes I have high hopes for the Reactive Grip from Tactical Haptics. That should be able to simulate the feel of almost any prop used in a game.

Imagine combining all of that with four Aireal cannons to simulate walls and other physical objects around you. Along with four bass transducers (like the ButtKicker) for surround rumble. And you have yourself one hell of a VR setup. :D

Unfortunately for the foreseeable future there are no games that would support all of that. At the rate hardware is progressing, it looks like the software will have a lot of catching up to do. :(
    @Raoul

Yes I hope Myo lives up to expectations! Rumble for the base to simulate landings etc would be a great addition.

It would be amazing if something like Xio enabled in game objects to have varying weight. Imagine feeling resistance when pushing or pulling an object, such as opening and closing a door. :geek:
    @Ben

Actually feeling weight or resistance would be amazing, but realistically speaking we are a very long way from that. The best we can hope for is simulations of those sensations through haptics. That hopefully will be convincing enough to become second nature in VR.

For example the way that the Reactive Grip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfY2JIMiDIg) simulates inertia and resistance by utilizing friction on the users skin. So it makes you feel the physical forces without actually producing them.

In the same way the Aireal cannon can simulate the feeling of physical objects by firing a vortex of air. Imagine it working with collision detection in games. If you bump into a wall or other object you get a burst of air directed at the parts of your body that corresponds with the collision. At the same time the character model in game can bump back slightly giving you the impression you just walked into a physical object.

Or even the way that the ARAIG suit simulates impacts through rumble and electronic muscle stimulation. Although personally I have serious doubts about the latter.

Of course we all wan't a holodeck level experience where physics are truly experienced. But barring any major advances in technology this seems very unlikely.

Exo skeletons (like the Xio) could provide actual weight, and are being developed for other applications. But are way off when it comes to commercial use for VR. And would have to encompass more than just your arm to be effective. A fully fledged VR glove could provide resistance for grabbing objects. But can't actually stop the movement of your arm.

To get this developed at all is already quite the challenge. Let alone to work in well in conjunction with the Omni.
    Looks like the University of Vienna is using a VR setup much like what I described earlier. Check out this article: http://oculusrift-blog.com/virtual-prosthesis/2015/

In place of the myosensors i'm looking to use a Myo armband. And in place of the ArmTarget, a STEM unit from the Sixense wireless tracker.
  • SuprM4nSuprM4n Posts: 81
    In regards to the Reactive Grip, imagine playing LOTR and being in battle. Whether it's a quick draw of the bow or clashing swords/axes/whatever with an AI, I'm sure it would be amazing. Also, I'm very intrigued by the driving aspect of it as well.
    supermansig.png
    Props go to Plixity for the sig.
    The STEM and Reactive Grip Kickstarter videos will be very interesting. Get your popcorn ready :ugeek: