1080p Oculus Rift impressions

RaoulRaoul Posts: 125
edited January 2014 in Oculus Rift
Visited Gamescom yesterday and got to try out the 1080p prototype. Was able to play Hawken for at least 10 minutes. :D

Got a seat in the back facing the wall and they seemed to have forgotten about me for a while, because others only got about 3 minutes each. It was a step up from the 800p dev kit, but I have to say it was a bit underwhelming.

Definitely still has the screen door effect, although it was drastically reduced when compared to the dev kit. Much easier to read small text, and see detail at greater distances. For example I flew my mech all the way to the top of the level a couple of times, and I could clearly make out the other players standing far away on the ground below.

But the greatest improvement over the dev kit was the quality of the screen itself. Colors seemed vastly improved. Maybe it was just the increased brightness, or maybe it was better calibrated. But the vibrancy of the whole experience was much better.

Maybe I was expecting too much, but to me this shows 1080p unfortunately is still not enough. Also I have come to appreciate other factors quite a bit more. Would happily take a screen that has improved color, brightness and reduced motion blur over simply upgrading the resolution.

Sidenote: Also got to play Titanfall yesterday, and that was easily best of show for me. They really need to add Oculus Rift support to that game!!!

Unfortunately missed the Cyberith Virtualizer. Had no idea it was even at Gamescom until my friend told me he spotted it, but forgot to mention it until we where on the train heading home. :x

Comments

• ChairmanChairman Posts: 12
    Glad to hear it is that good. In the end a lot of people on this forum will most likely have omni anyway so you will get a lot of replies on it too.

About the resolution... I could not find any mentioning of 4K, 7 inch or close to that screen so they can try it out on Rift. Anyway the Cons OR will most likely be with 1080p unless they want to wait few more months for 4K, 7 inch production to get cost low. Even If they don´t wait the common guess everywhere is that two versions will come out. The 1080p one for 300 USD and the 4K one with higher price (at least at the beginning because of LCD price).
    minichart.png
  • RaoulRaoul Posts: 125
    Although higher resolution would certainly further decrease the screen door effect, I doubt a 4K Oculus Rift will be released within the next two years.

Not because of screen technology. I'm sure 4K will be developed in this time period. LG already has a 7 inch screen with 2560x1140 resolution, so 4K can only be a year or so away. But because the PC required to run games with 4K resolution (at 60 fps) would be prohibitively expensive.

Could definitely see Oculus releasing a higher resolution Rift over time, but it would not make sense to split the user base at launch. Either way I would personally prefer a 1080p screen with bright and accurate colours with a 120Hz refresh rate (to reduce motion blur). Than a 4k screen of average quality running at 60Hz.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,032
    Agree with Raoul here, I don't think 4K will be feasible this gen. The resolution would not be worth the impact on frame rate. 1080p is fine with me for 1st gen VR.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • I read somewhere that increasing the pixel density was a viable way to reduce or remove the screen door effect, rather than just expecting a bigger resolution to be the solution. I think Palmer himself was quoted as having talked about this.

You can expect the consumer version to be better still.
    I think you are referring to a statement he made that pixel density is not the only way to reduce the screen door effect. Oculus can make the physical space between pixels smaller, or use a diffuser (like the 3M privacy screen mod) between the pixel space.

But as far as pixel density is concerned, 1080p on a 5 inch screen is about as high a pixel density (PPI) as Oculus can get their hands on at the moment.

That said the screen door effect doesn't really bother me when using the current dev kit. Although it is readily apparent when you put the Rift on, it is the first thing you 'forget' about when immersed in a game. The only time it really bothers me is when I am trying to focus on something in the distance.

Motion blur on the other hand is something that I constantly notice when using the Rift. To me this is a much bigger concern than the screen door effect.
  • Ah okay, my bad. I'm not sure if I've just confused what I read or if the source I got it from was unreliable.

I don't have first hand experience in what it is like but I think someone nearby was renting out their Oculus Rift to people. Might have to give it a try. :lol: I really wanna see what the fuss is about over these "issues". I'm wondering if some people just have overly high expectations.
    I'll admit I had high expectations for the 1080p prototype since several people had reported the screen door effect was gone.

My expectations when I got my dev kit where pretty low, so the screen door effect on the 800p model was not as bad as I had expected.

Motion blur kind of caught me off guard. Have always laughed at people who complain about this on a regular LCD monitor, never had any issues with it myself. But when you're entire field of view is filled with an LCD screen these issues become much more apparent.

Although having given lot's of demos it has also become clear that these issues effect people differently. Noticed that people who wear glasses tend to have a lot less issues with the limited field of view and motion blur, than people with good eye sight.

Also the IPD settings make a huge difference. Most people who got uncomfortable in the Rift usually have an IPD that is very different from the default IPD most games/demos are set to use. Setting up the right IPD tends to get the player to focus on screen issues a lot less.

If you have a chance to try the Rift I would definitely recommend it. Although it takes more than a 5 min demo to get a proper feel for it. You really need to try it with a few different type of games.
    Well looks like 4K is not going to cut it either according to Palmer: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... php?page=5

Looks like we need to wait until we get to 8K before we will stop seeing the individual pixels. Guess that is going to take some time then. :cry:
  • As an avid Oculus Rift fan I hope that a consumer product is available soon. I’m not technically minded but it occurs to me that the main complaints about the Oculus Rift were solved in 2011. Sony produced the HMZ-T1 head mounted display with twin 0.7-inch 720p OLED screens nearly 2 years ago and will soon release the HMZ-T3. All the HMZ products have problems but the screen door effect or poor image don’t seem to be an issue. Obviously the HMZ and Oculus Rift have a different FOV.

It just shows what custom builds can do compared with off the shelf smartphone screens used with the Oculus Rift. I think Oculus Rift has a great price point of 300 dollars which is needed to make a product truly mass market (unlike the very expensive HMZ products). I was just wondering if the price of the OLED technology from 2011 (used by Sony in the HMZ-T1) will be vastly more expensive than current HD smartphone screens being tested by the Oculus Rift team. If so wouldn’t the price increase be worth it?
    @IY2013

The price of OLED in general has gone down a bit, but I'm not sure this also translated to OLED micro displays. The HMZ-T3 is going for €1,299 so these displays seems far from suitable for a mainstream product.

Either way the total resolution of 2 720p displays is still less than 1080p the Rift prototype uses. So when stretching these pixels to the Rift FOV of 110°it would still cause a screen door effect.

Decreasing the FOV is not an option in my opinion. Have tried the HMZ-T1 a while ago and it simply does not come close to the experience you get with the Rift.

Sony is rumoured to be developing their own VR headset to compete with the Rift. And I doubt they will use a dual display design for this. Besides the cost the biggest problem is synchronising the two screens.

This requires buffering of frames, which is not a problem when watching a movie. But it is very detrimental to a good VR experience because it will either cause lag (buffering) or will not give you a good sense of 3D (no sync). Both of those will worsen the nausea many people are already experiencing with the Rift.

The fact that the Rift does not require dual displays is it's biggest advantage over other headsets. A 5 inch screen is actually the ideal size for the average human IPD. However getting access to OLED displays seems to be an obstacle. Palmer Luckey recently said: "Samsung is pretty much the only high PPI AMOLED vendor out there, and they don't like to share those with anyone."
  • The 1080p Oculus Rift claims to put you into the game. This is due to wraparound graphics and smart head-tracking. I would love to try this out.