Oculus Rift... what happens if you rotate > 360 degrees?

quirkenquirken Posts: 9
edited January 2014 in Oculus Rift
Say you are a proud owner of both your very own Virtuix Omni and an Oculus Rift.

You're playing a game that has you turning in one direction fairly regularly.

Eventually, you'll have turned clockwise 360 degrees.

Is there anything to prevent you from wrapping the Oculus Rift's cable around your body during this process?

Comments

• SuprM4nSuprM4n Posts: 81
    As it currently stands, you must untangle the cable. However from what I've heard it doesn't happen THAT often. Also, there are those of us on here that are trying to use a hook or something above the Omni to hang any cords from so as to prevent this.

It's also rumored that the Rift is hoping to be wireless for the consumer version. I'm beginning to second guess that simply due to the fact that it hasn't happened yet... but at the same time they're probably more focused on getting the display and tracking parts taken care of first since they take priority over wireless capabilities.
    supermansig.png
    Props go to Plixity for the sig.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    edited April 2014
    Hi quirken, SuprM4n's right. It's very rare that you get tangled.

VR computing will be wireless or wearable soon. In the meantime you could hang the cable/s above your head with a boom stand (not that expensive). A more elegant custom boom might be provided by Virtuix in the future (not decided upon yet, they're still focused on the Omni). We have the control box Velcroed to one of the arms and it's quite neat and effective. If you do find yourself having to turn more than 360 degrees clockwise, you can always avoid getting tangled by taking a turn anticlockwise.... unless you're Derek Zoolander of course. :lol:

Community Manager at Virtuix
  • sutekiB wrote:
    Hi quirken, SuprM4n's right. It's very rare that you get tangled.

VR computing will be wireless or wearable soon. In the meantime you could hang the cable/s above your head with a boom stand (not that expensive). A more elegant custom boom might be provided by Virtuix in the future (not decided upon yet, they're still focused on the Omni). We have the control box Velcroed to one of the arms and it's quite neat and effective. If you do find yourself having to turn more than 360 degrees clockwise, you can always avoid getting tangled by taking a turn anticlockwise.... unless you're Derek Zoolander of course. :lol:

I was thinking of trying to have some sort of backpack-mounted stand. Screwing something into my ceiling seemed a bit much :) calling it a "boom" will probably help wonders in finding a commercial product to use, thanks :)

anyone know whether the "omni rack" rotates with you?
  • Much more interesting is the Question about 180degree rotation!
    Because the Occulus DK2 has a camera to track your head distance, so if you rotate 180degree and lean back, does the Occulus interpret it as coming closer to the camera or does it knows the rotation?