Oculus DK2 announced, preorders start.

sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
edited April 2014 in Oculus Rift
I just chose the worst possible time to go out for an hour and get some fresh air. When I got back I found the DK2 had been announced! That little delay probably means I'm going have to wait an extra 6 months before I get mine! :lol: (hopefully not)

Shipping to begin in July, the same as the Omni.

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/announcing-the-oculus-rift-development-kit-2-dk2/

camera_dk2.jpg

Community Manager at Virtuix

Comments

• OmnewbieOmnewbie Posts: 11
    It's too bad that they're keeping with the camera-and-LED motion tracking solution. Unless they have track-enabled LEDs or other devices on the back of the Rift, the DK2 isn't going to be Omni compatible without a STEM tracker. I hope Virtuix gains enough traction in the mainstream to warrant Occulus' attention and consideration when postulating their next release. I plan to buy a STEM system anyway, as I'm sure most of us here do. However, no everyone can afford an Omni, a Rift, and a STEM system.
    Current VR Device Status:
    Rift: not owned
    STEM: not owned
    Omni: not owned
    Reactive Grip: not owned
    Please PM me suggestions for my list of devices needed for the most immersive VR experience currently possible!
  • novalkarnovalkar Posts: 6
    I noticed 15 minutes after i received the news from the KS update, just hope that doesn't mean that I'll be on the 15000 spot on the list...
  • KijutsuKijutsu Posts: 85
    novalkar wrote:
    I noticed 15 minutes after i received the news from the KS update, just hope that doesn't mean that I'll be on the 15000 spot on the list...

I went to be 5 MINUTES before they made the announcement. I wonder what crazy number I'll be. This year is gonna bankrupt me...
  • dariusudariusu Posts: 1
    I wonder if it would be possible to craft some sort of mount for the DK2 camera that would be attached to the support harness and would rotate with you as you turned. That was it always stays in the same place relative to the body and would lose tracking much less often as it is difficult to twist the head and torso more than about 90 degrees from the hips.
  • SuprM4nSuprM4n Posts: 81
    As I mentioned in a previous post, adding LED's to the straps holding the Rift on your head wouldn't be hard or expensive to do and I don't believe Oculus would ship consumer versions without 360 degree tracking. I mean, they're already most of the way there anyway.
    supermansig.png
    Props go to Plixity for the sig.