edited April 2014 in Oculus Rift
http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook ... ion-2014-3

http://kotaku.com/facebook-buys-oculus- ... 1551487939

Can this be true?

I don't know what to think.

EDIT:

At least this doesn't sound too bad:

Zuckerberg:

"Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home."

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    Wow. Okay. :shock:

Congratulations Oculus! I'm sure this will raise the profile of virtual reality just a bit.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 139
    I know... the publicity is massive, the money is massive... but facebook? Really? I'm very confused.

But all the best, we're guaranteed 100% a casually adopted future for VR as well now.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    It makes perfect sense, in hindsight. VR is a powerful medium. It can bring us together in a way that is far more natural and desirable than our current interfaces allow. It was always going to evolve into a persistent social network, a metaverse - though I'm surprised it's happening so quickly. What remains to be seen is, will Facebook have competition? Will Sony and Microsoft respond with their own VR social networks? I think they will. 2014 is indeed the year of virtual reality.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • novalkarnovalkar Posts: 6
    I'm happy for the guys at oculus :D, the only thing that i hate about the purchase is that now the Oculus subreddit is full of haters.... haters gonna hate 9__9
  • SuprM4nSuprM4n Posts: 81
    I'm both excited and a bit worried out of caution. Excited because Oculus has that much more money to use to optimize their device and to provide the user with a much better experience, but having Facebook constantly looking over your shoulder (even if they are hands off for now they'll surely be keeping a very close eye on them) is going to add even more pressure for them to get this product shipped. While that sounds grear because consumer will finally get their hands on these devices, if Oculus is pressured into prematurely shipping out their product and it flops... I expect that the VR revolution will be in a different decade than this one. While there are numerous devices being made for VR that are completely independent of the Rift, Oculus was kind of the Captain of the ship. Now, someone else owns the ship, even if Oculus is still steering it we will all know who the boss really is....

Oculus must continue to lead as they will be looked to by so many and under so much scrutiny. Just because a leader hands off their position to someone else, that doesn't mean they won't still be looked to for leadership.
    supermansig.png
    Props go to Plixity for the sig.
  • Hey, i heared about facebook aquisition OCULUS.
    I am frm Romania and here, despite all the finncial things, we buy anithing is new on the it market. But in my opinion, oculus made a BIIIIG MISTAKE "joining" Facebook.
    Facebook interests is not in raising the oculus image or revolutionate VR. Facebook is afraid that oculus may raise it head and make a revolutionaire social platform, the most and e biggest in the world. In my opinion that's the real reason for buying them.
    So.. Omni... dont make the same mistake as oculus did. DONT SELL YOUR SOUL. Dont be afraid about facebook. Is just a big boy with a lot of money. Of course, revolutionaire idea at that moment but they are p***y. Think.... whats up(why?) And now oculus (why?).
    Thx and remember... not the money are important. The continuity and ascending brings you money and honour.
  • lorenfellorenfel Posts: 2
    The Facebook company has a good recent history of not interfering with the directions of the companies they buy. There is no reason to believe they will not continue in this vein with Oculus.