Virtuix Omni - Flexible Support Ring R&D

ModManModMan Posts: 79
edited May 2014 in Announcements
Hey guys,

We just uploaded our Virtuix Omni - Flexible Support Ring R&D video onto our YouTube channel. This prototype demonstrates the crouching functionality for the Omni. Please keep in mind that this prototype is extremely clunky, and not close to any product we would ever release to market. We are still investigating how to make this functionality available to our backers and customers. While crouching is not difficult to achieve mechanically, adding these moving parts would increase the cost structure of the product significantly (far beyond the reach of our current price point). Not to mention the reliability and maintenance headaches that typically accompany moving parts.

That being said, perhaps a good-looking variation of this movable upper structure could one day be available as a high-end upgrade?

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,032
    Nice work team! This is very promising. Yes, moving parts can add cost, bulk and maintenance concerns, but now you've got me wondering what a high end upgrade would look like.
    Hmm.

Community Manager at Virtuix
  • AscensiAscensi Posts: 116
    edited July 2014
    Hi I purchased a unit a while ago and a few questions come to mind now. 1. are your making adjustments to make the Virtuix Omni (VO) upgradable or are you trying to make changes to allow customers everywhere to have the new crouching ability in the existing system? 2. What is the time frame for this now? 3. The VO is stated to be the first first virtual reality interface for moving freely and naturally but there seems to be a system almost identical with the crouching ability already tested and refined cyberith.com/en/node/11/done?sid=376 Is the VO a clone or something? You might want the circle/body ring held together by a triangle rather than metal poles connected to the posts and have the triangle's corners attached to the posts instead. Or maybe better yet just get rid of the metal poles, make the ring a bit bigger to slide up and down the posts allowing just enough leg room. I understand the body ring would have to be closer to the body to be able to twist but maybe the body just needs its own smaller ring with bearings to offer the free rotational movement -so if that is the case have only 3 posts with ropes connected to the smaller body ring with it's own track and bearing to be built into the harness. One last suggestion for a 1 post configuration.. have the body ring connected to a vertical triangle (like a flag inthe wind) at it's corner that slides up and down a single post.
    Forgot to add that if the unit only had one post for the ring to be attached on make it slide up and down like an adjustable basket ball hoop.. kinda makes sense when my last comment was describing the triangle being like a triangle flag blowing in the wind but with the body ring connected to one of its corners.
    Hi @Ascensi, welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to make some suggestions. Virtuix are researching ways to add a movable upper support structure to the Omni, most likely as a high end optional upgrade. I'm not aware of any plans to include this feature with the consumer version, which they're hoping to have produced and shipped in the next few months.

The Omni is indeed the first platform for moving freely and naturally in virtual reality. The device you've seen from Cyberith actually appeared after the Virtuix Omni. Although, I wouldn't call it a clone as they're both quite different. The Virtualizer uses a flat base which means it requires more effort to use - you have to push your body against the support and force your feet back behind you. Also it produces a less natural gait than the Omni, and a lower top speed despite the fact it will likely be more expensive. Here's a comparison video I found which demonstrates how different they are in operation:

I'm sure you'll get a huge amount of enjoyment from your Omni once you have it. See you in the game!
    edited July 2014
    I realize now that if the tongue that is connected to the waste ring can be made to hinge and extend only on a downward position just enough for the user to squat that the ring would likely still maintain the safety of side to side and backward forward stabilization. So this idea might make a simpler construction design and still not require additional posts, poles and bigger costly mechanical configurations.
  • giroudfgiroudf Posts: 127
    if you push the idea to the extreme, you discover that the pilars and arms are not needed.
    you just keep the ring around the waist and you attach it by the side to a fork (From top view it looks like this)

then you need a single arm, but not fixed on the floor but in the ceiling. (from the side it looks like this)

the topof the arm will get a roller bearing allowing all the assembly to turn.

this would allow many more than jumping our crouching, you could even fly....
    to allow the ring to go up and down, you need to add an isoelastic device, either at the top or in the red arm.
    and if you got no way to fix in a ceiling , you simply add a portic.

Who would install a swing frame indoors? :grinning:

@giroudf I like the assembly you drew in principle, but I'm not sure if we turn in a perfect circle. It might be difficult to engineer something like that in a way that lets us rotate effortlessly, and with minimal interference. Any examples of such a mechanism being used this way?

Speaking of flying, maybe you could incorporate one of these. Just think - limitless barrel rolls!

edited August 2014
    yep the belt is great but allowing to turn in the belt would put you just in front of the supporting bar soon or later.
    i think the secret in this kind of concept is to keep everything loose while solidly fixed, like a mast on a windsurf.
    they put a steel cable in a rubber cylinder, so you get some play while keeping a strong grip between the surf and the mast.
    after all the system is supposed to allow freedom until your balance goes out of control. then it is here to prevent a faceplant (especially
    if wearing an oculus rift)
    the concept of the cardan

if you are really anoyed by the celing mount, you can still use the virtuix omni.
    you just need to cut the two legs from the base and mount them on roller.
    they will travel on a ring around the base.
    a bit like that

• I was a senioir sw developer/engineer in my pre war injury days 2009. So I kind of have an informed decision when it comes to brain storming R&D and typical bs that couls work. What i think would be worth looking into is maknetic sencors, that through pizeo eletric cjanges in the field could be mapped to as many deminsions of motions. If you wanted to go even higher tech. The Actor ha ha yes UML could be within the field whild in the device, and his natural bioelectric field could be mapped in start up. Or low end put rfid tak on top of vr helmet, and other areas where needed then incode each
  • can we play on ps4 ps3 x box one and xbox360?????or this is just for pc
    ????? :\
    Hey @edgarmetz just PC for now, but hopefully console support may come later.
  • Why look into something this complicated to track crouching? Why not simply tape one more sensor to one's ass, and you're good to go?! Or just put one more sensor in one's back pocket? That should do it, no more flexible support contraptions etc.
  • ViveaciousViveacious Posts: 5
    edited July 2016
    Are there any further updates on this? One of the hesitations I have about getting the Omni is the fact you cannot crouch or duck (or at least it seems so, since the ring is stationary.)

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not you can crouch or duck while in this? Or if there's ongoing R&D into a solution for this?
    The ring doesn't prevent you from ducking/leaning over, so I wonder how many people would want a larger and more expensive device that had a dynamic support.

• NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 137
    @sutekiB Having now tried room-scale myself I can say I really do appreciate being able to crouch/prone and on occasion dive (not recommended). However I've found the Omni has a plethora of genres which really work for it - well... basically anything that you can't teleport in. To see both room-scale and treadmill-scale VR someday combined at a consumer price point would be incredible.I remember you had a project to allow crouching... did you ever try it?
    I did finish my design for a support that allowed crouching, but I've been too busy to assemble it. I will at some point get around to that, but meanwhile I have developed a deeper appreciation for the ring - it's very useful for leaning on when you're stationary, and that's probably more useful overall than the ability to kneel.