preparing a setup for the omni

ok , i received my oculus dk2, i got a a cabela's top shot (ps version with his own usb key receiver, the gun is seen as Guitar hero device), also an Xbox receiver (my kids have an Xbox 360, so i can steal them a controller), i also got a chinese wiimote+ , waiting for the omni, i got a PrioVR on order, and i just finished to assemble a very powerful pc .
Now the question is about the software.
I want to be able to reproduce the setup used by Virtuix to demo the omni, just to make sure everything is ok (i am not really for gaming, especially for killing zombies, but currently it seems the only games available and fully working). My target is to be able to write new VR stuff, but i need first to sense the look and feel of the existing setup, to check if i am worse or better.
so the question is : what do i need now. Obviously some game (Battlefield 4 ? Half-life VR ? other ?) and is it the standard version or do i need some mods.
I am in IT for 30 years now (soft and hard ), programming , multimedia, so don't be afraid to speak with your words.

Comments

• giroudfgiroudf Posts: 127
    ok , i received my oculus dk2, i got a a cabela's top shot (ps version with his own usb key receiver, the gun is seen as Guitar hero device), also an Xbox receiver (my kids have an Xbox 360, so i can steal them a controller), i also got a chinese wiimote+ , waiting for the omni, i got a PrioVR on order, and i just finished to assemble a very powerful pc .
    Now the question is about the software.
    I want to be able to reproduce the setup used by Virtuix to demo the omni, just to make sure everything is ok (i am not really for gaming, especially for killing zombies, but currently it seems the only games available and fully working with props). My target is to be able to write new VR stuff, but i need first to sense the look and feel of the existing setup, to check if i my own findings are worse or better.
    so the question is : what do i need now. Obviously some game (Battlefield 4 ? Half-life VR ? other ?) and is it the standard version or do i need some mods.
    I am in IT for 30 years now (soft and hard ), programming , multimedia, so don't be afraid to speak with your words.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    @giroudf I'd recommend playing TRAVR: Shadow Ops, which will come with the Omni. In the meantime there are versions of Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 that have been patched through Steam to work with the Oculus Rift. All you need is a gamepad, but to use the Cabela I'd recommend a piece of key-mapping software such as x-padder (older, free versions are available). There are some injection drivers like Vorp-X that add Rift-compatibility (even DK2's head-tracking) to titles like Skyrim. So yes you could start setting up your games now to be playable in VR while you're waiting. The process will be much more streamlined by the time dedicated content and consumer hardware is released though.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • giroudfgiroudf Posts: 127
    edited September 2014
    thanks, i already tested all these software (Vorpx , vireio, xpadder , joy2key etc..) and some games , but i am not really happy since they all got some glitches either with tracking, display etc...
    most of the current setup are limited to minimum tracking of head (when it works) and i am looking for at least independant tracking of head and something else (gun ?).
    The current problem is the oculus is tracking with camera and this is a no-go for devices like the omni, that is why i am looking for a setup that works just as reference sample or proof of concept.
    I already think the only way to do this is to write a super Xpadder, including all features and devices avaialble (past and futur) . But for this we really need somebody to set a standard interface for
    all games and apps, so we can make sure they are cross compatible.
    Ideally i could be able to choose walk detection from my omni, aiming from topshot equipped with Stem, head tracking from my PrioVr etc...
    after all there is not so many cases we need for the usual tracking: feet, hands, head and a stick (gun, arrow, axle or don't know what you can point or aim)
    the main problem you got with all these different devices is some must be in sync or move relative to others, so just having motion sensor (gyro) is not enough (drift).
    Aboslute positionning is a must and there are not som many available yet.

• @giroudf You shouldn't have any problems at all accomplishing that while playing TRAVR or any other VR developed game.