A friendly reminder from Canadians, please do not use UPS.

fogwalkerfogwalker Posts: 14
edited June 2013 in Kickstarter Backers
Just a forewarning that not a lot of companies know before shipping to Canada. UPS at your door customs fees are pretty much close to extortion. If you do not want to get a lot of super whiny Canadians who paid a lot of money on their brokerage fees.

Save yourself the headache of the inevitable 20 page thread of people complaining about UPS shipping when the UPS truck arrives at their door with the OMNI on their doorstep and a 100 dollar plus fee. =)

Comments

• LazarusLazarus Posts: 5
    Definitely agree with this! After getting burned a couple of times I refuse to order anything from the U.S. that ships to Canada using UPS.

Ideally they'll load up a truck with the Canadian orders, ship them up here and clear them all at once, then send them to individual backers from within Canada. Less headaches for everyone that way.
  • tpapas1tpapas1 Posts: 10
    This is not just for Canada... Also in Europe we pay extraordinary prices when using UPS....
  • Hi ,

Please don't use UPS... They are sharks and rip Canadians off!
  • +1
  • Heard from internet that UPS is bad. Luckily Indonesia doesn't have UPS. the biggest one is DHL here.

• mp1nlmp1nl Posts: 1
    I wonder if the Virtuix team would team up with a broker to predo the customs brokerage. This could be possible. Must ask a few questions about this.
  • Thanks for the tip
  • CyberPunkVRCyberPunkVR Posts: 5
    edited October 2016
    Another Canadian who's also been hit with excessive UPS fee's in the past. However considering the size of the Omni, an LTL freight service will likely be used for transportation. As a suggestion to Jan and as a major business owner in Canada, I'd recommend Day&Ross as they offer the lowest freight prices into and across Canada.
  • MarkHMarkH Posts: 11
    edited December 2016
    well, guess this is no longer a problem because Virtux has royally screwed most of usl...although their Chinese commercial backer now has a lot more initial stock now that they canceled everything but the US ones...
    Royally pissed off is not the word for what I feel right now
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,059
    edited December 2016
    @MarkH - We understand your anger. This isn’t the outcome we imagined or had hoped for. We’re devastated that we’ve had to disappoint our international backers and pre-order customers. This process has been very humbling for us and we’re sorry we let you down.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • @sutekiB Such BS that is easy to say from someone who wasn't royally screwed. Not only do I spit on Virtuix but I sure as heck will never use Kickstarter again, should have known... Backer NUMBER FREAKEN 9!!! Waiting for 3 and half years and you dare say "even if our terms of sale do allow us to offer a refund any time prior to shipment" Disgusting.
  • Kijutsu said:

@sutekiB Such BS that is easy to say from someone who wasn't royally screwed. Not only do I spit on Virtuix but I sure as heck will never use Kickstarter again, should have known... Backer NUMBER FREAKEN 9!!! Waiting for 3 and half years and you dare say "even if our terms of sale do allow us to offer a refund any time prior to shipment" Disgusting.

bruh calm down. did you ask for a refund already then, if you're THAT upset? you yelling at @sutekiB will nt make your shipment suddenly arrive ya know, regardless if you're backer numero freaking 9 or 100k =v

• @Wolvenworks Wow, that was just as helpful as my post. Thanks, you live up to you tag.
  • adminadmin Posts: 169
    Let's all please stay civilized. This is a bad day for all of us. This is not what we at Virtuix intended. Luc, you have been with us since the beginning. I have absolutely no joy in our decision to not deliver units to our faithful backers all over the world. It's a decision out of necessity to make it long-term. We are not giving up.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,059
    @Kijutsu you're right to be upset, and I apologise for my wording earlier. Pointing out the refund clause was insensitive of me - it wasn't intended to come across disrespectfully. I have edited my comment. This is very difficult news to break and it's hard to find the right words sometimes.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • AdminoAdmino Posts: 38
    @admin @sutekiB
    Delivering bad news is never easy. Hopefully this advice won't be needed, but if you ever need to deliver bad news again, I recommend announcing it a month or two in advance as "an unfortunate possibility if things don't improve". You can then say a month later "sorry guys, but unfortunately things didn't improve so...". There will still be an outcry, but people would be more prepared, the news would be less of a shock , and the backlash would be less severe.

I envy the US based backers and hope that the situation improves so that non American's can also get their hands on an Omni in the future.

Good luck all.
  • adminadmin Posts: 169
    Hey Admino, thank you. I appreciate your post.
    Best regards,
    Jan
  • the ability for the internet to be both butthurt and polite in one page never cease to amaze me =D