how is crouching detected

is it done by pressing your body against the harness, and that simulates a key press?

also I can only assume that sprinting is detected by running faster on the device, and jumping by the device sensing if your feet are on the device, can you correct me if i'm wrong about those two things.

Comments

• NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 143
    edited December 2014
    Crouching I think is likely to be fully controlled by the Oculus now - full positional tracking means you merely need to lower your head leaning forwards and crouching can be detected. If the Omni can still detect crouching I think remains unseen.

The Omni is capable of recognising every step you take and matching that step 1 to 1 in game for ultimate immersion where you can walk, powerwalk, jog, sprint and everything in between at the pace you yourself set. On legacy games though it can work as you say with a speed threshold for each movement type (unless it supports analog movement already in which case the omni can get much closer with calibration.)

As far as I know, yes, jumping is probably recognised by both feet leaving the device.
  • OculusRiftRocksOculusRiftRocks Posts: 131
    edited December 2014
    yeah I Meant for legacy games where your head is the mouse and there is no 3D height detection of sorts, I've seen some omni videos where crouching is done and i see it being registered in game, but I'm not sure how the omni knows to do this.

I can only assume its a large pressure being placed at the front facing part of the harness.

this video shows exactly, what i mean, happens right at the start.

• NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 143
    edited December 2014
    This, and similar older videos, rely on Kinect v1.0 for tracking and hence can track the whole body (albeit with much longer response time and much less accurate step measurement).

The Oculus will still generate 3D height data in legacy games - it just can't be translated 1 to 1 like rotation can in all games. It is simple enough to see how calibrated threshold heights could 'virtually press' the crouch button or the prone, duck or jump buttons as necessary. When using the Oculus at least, the Omni needn't provide these functions.
  • ah I see, they are using kinect in that video, what about newer demonstrations at CEX for example, are they keeping kinect hooked up just for crouch detection or using custom software that is recognising the rifts rotation shift and keypressing the crouch button.

is this possible to be done without being in line of sight of the oculus camera though?

Will omnis software provide a way to read in the rift and crouch appropriataly for the release version.
  • "is this possible to be done without being in line of sight of the oculus camera though?"

The latest Oculus prototype has 360 degree tracking and was demoed while standing so line of sight should not be an issue any more with the Omni than with using the Rift generally.

"Will omnis software provide a way to read in the rift and crouch appropriataly for the release version?"

There will be a solution for crouching on release, what form it will take we don't know (at most until CES 2015). Virtuix are trying to keep the final spec under wraps for a big reveal.