Exact Dimensions

OculusRiftRocksOculusRiftRocks Posts: 131
edited January 2015 in Omni Feature Questions
can we get some confirmation on the exact dimensions of the omni.

website states 42"x47"

assuming that 42" includes the posts, maybe that makes the footplate 35" diameter?

and can we remove the extra material that adds on presumably 12" to its footprint.

Comments

• When we get the new model back to the shop, I'll get you more precise measurements. But, the short answer to your footplate removal question is - no. It should not be removed. This piece provides additional stability and its rubberized surface allows player's to enter and exit the Omni more easily.
  • OculusRiftRocksOculusRiftRocks Posts: 131
    edited January 2015
    I thought there must be a reason for it.

but could weights not be added to either end of the omni which would balance/stabalise the unit, so in that case the footplate would not be necessary?

And is it mainly a question of the footplate helps stabilize the unit when someone large and heavy is running on it, which causes the unit to move around if the footplate isn't there, in that case, in your testing have you found people of medium weight to be able to use the unit without the footplate being attached.

I only ask because with the footplate I cannot fit it in my room very well at all, if I could remove it, and simply make the omni weigh more with weights placed under/inside the unit I could purchase the item and fit it in my room and be happy :smile:
    edited January 2015
    Okay just had an idea to hide the footplate under a chest of drawers, but I would need the measurements of the footplate itself

if this would fit I would be really happy, I'm guessing the omni would then take up 42"x36" of 'visible' space.
    edited January 2015
    Had an even better Idea, may be able to fit the omni in front of my bed.

but I need to know how deep the omni is as I would need to purchase a new short bed before hand.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,032
    I would put the Omni in the middle of the room, and push less important things (beds, chairs, wardrobes, drawers) into the corners :wink:
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    edited January 2015
    aha yes if only that could be done, but such decisions cannot always be made by the omni purchaser!

just thought I'd do another photo mockup to show which measurement I need, it's the blue one,

I'm assuming the quoted 42" length on the website includes the posts?
    It says 45" on the FAQ now, which I would guess is from post to post, but I expect we'll get final dimensions before delivery.
    edited January 2015
    are you talking about the statement that says 'The Omni platform has an outer diameter of 45″'

isn't that refering to the old prototype, as the consumer version is not structured that way anymore as it's deeper than it is wider, that statement has also been there for almost a year on the website, it has to be out of date.

on the product page it states 'The preliminary dimensions of the main Omni package are 47"x42"'

this would make more sense, it is deeper than it it wider now due to the extension footplate.

do you think it would be possible to find ouf the measurements of how deep it is within the next week or so, the height at the outer rim of the omni base would be useful to in case I need to hide that bit under my bed, Dev_Guy_Robert implied he may be able to get the measurements some time soon-ish, although I may have read that wrong, I just assumed you were near an omni device,

I just need to make sure i can fit it in my room prior to purchasing the unit, and not just before delivery of the unit, then it's too late!
    The 47" x 42" x 27" may be referring to the box the Omni and accessories comes in, but I'll ask.
  • seems the website has been updated.

When fully assembled, the Omni platform is 47" wide (incl. strut bases), 54" long (incl. the step-up deck).

I have updated my picture below,

any clues as to how long it is sans the step-up deck, my guess is 42"

That sounds right.
  • okay could you take a guess at how tall the omni base is? would that be maybe 5"?

my plan is to raise my divan bed with bed risers, bringing it 7" above the ground, then hopefully my feet will just go under the bed when 'traversing' the southern most part of the omni base.

when moving on the omni do you lift your feet much at all, or is it more like sliding your feet.
    The base used to be 6" I think, but I believe it's less now. I lift my feet when moving, just like real life! Some people shuffle when they first try it, until they get a bit more confident.
    edited January 2015
    ah I see, if you find yourself near an omni it would be great if you could double check, keep in mind I am referring to the outer most part which would be the tallest.

my new plan is to raise my bed with bed risers, its a divan bed so there is only 4cm space from ground to bed, with 15cm raisers that will bring me to 19cm from the ground to the bottom of the bed.

now having the bed 19cm high from the ground will make it so I can put the 7" of the southern most section of the omni under the bed, i think my feet wont hit it, what do you think?

oddly enough 15cm risers are the highest ones you can get in the UK, in the US they sell 20cm risers, how totally bizarre.

links to bed risers just in case anyone wants to see

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/beds-and-bedding/bed-raisers/economy-cone-bed-and-chair-raisers/ UK 6"
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Adjustable-Bed-Risers/5148131 USA 8",....may have to import them via amazon.com
    edited January 2015
    Sure, the outermost part should fit under your bed if you use those risers. I don't know if you'll catch your feet on the bed, hopefully not. I hammocked my way out of that problem.
  • hehe of course, I did notice on the CoD video that your feet don't lift so much going forward, but more on going backwards as they kick up in a way.

Think I'll go on the 6" risers since I don't want to import, giving me 19cm from ground to bottom of the bed, hopefully the new model is more like 4" high, it kinda seems so in pictures, certainly less so than the prototype.

If that doesn't work out plan 2 is to cut the wood off at the front bottom of the bed, omni is major priority over my bed!
    That's true, they don't seem as though they lift much, because the base curves up towards the edge.

Beds > Expendable. Omni > Essential.
    edited January 2015
    okay after some more research I found that 7" of the omni base would be covered by my current bed, not very ideal, I think my legs will hit the bed while running.

I have a plan to buy a smaller bed/mattress so the new bed only covers 3" of the omni, which I think will be no issue, imagine if 3" of the omni was missing at one side, I think that would be acceptable since I'm 5' 5" with a stride 10cm less than a 6 5 male which is the maximum the omni supports, but with 7" missing with my current bed setup I think that is too much to not have), anyway that is assuming the omni is 42" deep.

my only question is I would like to know how deep the omni is exactly excluding the step-up ramp. 42" is just a guess by me! but if its actually 41" or 44" it kind of affects the decision I make when ordering a new bed size.

it's a big decision, as I will be purchasing the bed prior to the omni arriving, it is not a small purchase and custom bed sizes do not allow returns or exchanges for other sizes.
    It would be better not to have anything overhang the base if possible. I still recommend putting the Omni at the centre of the room, which will help you avoid knocking peripherals against the wall. I might post a few snaps of my setup later for comparison.
    edited January 2015
    on not having something hanging over the bed, Yes, that would be preferred and may be achievable once I can determine how deep the omni is, once I have those measurements I can order the mattress and bed size.

just a picture so we are on the same page, this assumes a 5 10 bed frame (hosting a 5 9 matress) and the omni being 42", leaving 3" on top of the omni.

for being in the center of the room I don't have the clear space, however in front of the bed I will, I know the omni will fit in front of the bed I just need to decide between a 5 6- 5 9 matress, which will be determined once I have the measurements. current bed/matress is 6' 3" btw (picture mockup is of future bed) current bed leaves 7" of the omni covered which i think wont work well
  • Please remember - the model we were showing at CES is still a prototype. It is very close to what the production version will look like. However, we are still collecting feedback on this latest model so that we may continue to improve the experience. Current dimensions are still not set in stone...
  • You still haven't tooled the factory? Eek. That can take quite awhile. Add a month for shipping that means we won't get omnis at our door until June at earliest.
  • oh right I had no idea, do you think the base dimensions would change much, are people sayings its too big or too small?
    I doubt the dimensions would change significantly.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    @OculusRiftRocks‌ Perhaps a loft bed? that way you could put some of the existing furniture under it. That is what I ended up doing, I grew up in a VERY small room.
    edited January 2015
    oh right yeah haha use the height of the room to your advantage, never thought of that.

however I would prefer a double bed so, and anyway it all fits in with no bed covering the omni base when I get a 175cm bed frame, so all should be well.

will probably order the bed come april, so there is stll time to decide, thanks for your suggestion.
    and if all else fails you can bolt your wardrobe to the ceiling and get a ladder. Not only would it give you more room but its also a phenomenal conversation starter. :p
  • well before buying my bed I would like to know if the omni is 42" deep or say 40" deep, as it effects the bed I would buy, so I will hold off on purchasing the bed until then.

do you think you will be able to get those dimensions in the next month or so?
    New Kickstarter update

What are the dimensions of the final Omni design?
    When fully assembled, the Omni platform is 49″ wide (incl. strut bases), 54″ long (incl. the step-up deck), and 35″ high (when the ring is in its lowest position). The ring and vertical struts are easily disassembled from the base.
    edited February 2015
    lol is got 2" wider overnight!

do the packing dimensions still imply its 42" deep, or has that increased?

yeah they need to update this page with this new information

http://www.virtuix.com/products/