Exact Dimensions

2»

Comments

• CoasterproCoasterpro Posts: 8
    edited February 2015
    Please someone clear this up. Is the step up plate separate? Are the wings for the supports separate? My DIY concept relies on these being removable. Otherwise, my plans are boned.
    -edit-

Never mind, I Just saw Robert's reply. Missed it up there.

> But, the short answer to your footplate removal question is - no. It should not be removed. This piece provides additional stability and its rubberized surface allows player's to enter and exit the Omni more easily.

Well there goes my plans. Hopefully the DIY kits are worth something on eBay.
  • another dev said you could remove the plate, it is at least removable, but not advised, but if your a certain weight I don't see why it couldn't work, could just add weights to the omni base to make up for it.
  • TelevangelistTelevangelist Posts: 10
    edited February 2015
    Not being able to remove that plate is going to be a HUGE problem for many of us who live in urban apartments and are planning to store this sucker vertically against a wall when not in use. If there's no essential electronics inside it, I'll literally take the thing off with a hacksaw if I have to. I'm 5'4" and 115lbs so it's not like I'm going to be placing some massive strain on the device.
  • yeah people that backed the kickstarter thinking it would be 45" diameter are in for a surprise when it turns out to be 49x54!
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,035
    There's been some confusion about this. Technically, the footplate is removable, but they strongly advise against it. The same applies to the strut bases. They are integral to the Omni's structure and it would be like removing a load bearing wall from a house. I'm sorry if this is going to affect some people. Please note that the DIY tier is now the same as the standard one - all Omnis are being shipped with the support for safety reasons.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • The DIY tear is getting a great price then!

but would you say a 5' 5" person could probably get away without the step up plate? and could you not simply add more weight to the omni base so you don't need the step up plate, and is there any reason why that has not been done for the consumer version, wouldn't 't it make more sense to do that to lessen the footprint?
    @OculusRiftRocks The rubber-coated footplate is not only there to add stability to the base, it's also needed for users to safely put on and remove the shoes. The shoes are low friction remember, and on a hard floor especially you could easily slip. I'm afraid I don't know how it interconnects, as I haven't set up or dismantled the Omni yet. The official statement is not likely to vary either - all users are recommended to install the footplate for safety reasons. I'm sorry about that.
  • OculusRiftRocksOculusRiftRocks Posts: 131
    edited February 2015
    but would they slip on a carpet? most peoples floors are carpeted.

you could also take your shoes on and off while in the omni in the very few cases where people have hard floors.
  • Suteki I have no problem with using the footplate when the Omni is in use; but once I'm done using the Omni, it's going back into its storage, so it doesn't really matter whether the footplate is attached then or not. Presumably attaching or detaching the footplate will be 30 seconds of additional effort at most once we're used to this.
  • The footplate is an integral part of the structure, and is an important support for the Omni, therefore it should not be removed while using the Omni. However @Televangelist it can be removed for storage.
  • Hey Everyone - we have been testing the crap out of the Omni over the past few weeks since we got the latest prototypes back from CES. Exact dimensions are still in flux... We are tweaking various aspects of the mechanical footprint to optimise the experience. Should have more for you shortly.
  • OculusRiftRocksOculusRiftRocks Posts: 131
    edited February 2015
    okay, really look forward to hearing what they are exactly, especially in depth excluding the omni plate
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    Acording to the latest blog post

When fully assembled, the Omni platform is 49″ wide (incl. strut bases), 54″ long (incl. the step-up deck), and 35″ high (when the ring is in its lowest position).
  • What about the height of the strut bases? (without the struts)

Can be the strut bases and deck disassembled in order to store the Omni in a closet, when not in use?
  • @Procyon The height of the strut bases (without the struts) is about 18 inches high.

The struts and support ring can be removed easily for storage (no screws are needed to be removed for these). The bases and deck can also be disassembled, but there are a few screws that must be removed making it slightly less easy to disassemble and store.
  • @KellCam_Virtuix , could you please advise - what's the height of the 'bases+deck' when assembled (without the struts)?
    Ha, this is an old thread! Well found @Dazzlemary. The parts were re-named to reduce confusion. The 'Towers' (formerly called strut bases) are about 18 inches high, without the 'Arms' (formerly called struts).
  • OK @sutekiB , I'm clear about it now. Lastly - could you please advise about the weight of the 'platform+towers' set?
    @Dazzlemary, I'm afraid I don't know the weight of the individual components. I can lift the base by myself easily enough, but with the towers attached I would need help. Not only would it be heavier, it would be more awkward to move. You might be able to slide it on a rug perhaps? I'm sorry I can't be more help!
  • difecodidifecodi Posts: 2
    Quien habla español, necesito que me ayuden con una información de envíos a latinoamerica
2»