Omni without HMD

I plan to use the Omni mostly without a HMD, maybe even without power. Most of the time (about 4 hours per day) I would use the Omni as a treadmill to walk slowly while working at a PC on a high table (here is why). My questions:

1. In such a scenario(slow walking, no HMD), is it possible to omit the Omni support ring?
2. Is the support ring quickly mounted and unmounted again?
3. Is it possible to map walking forwards/backwards/sidewards from the Omni to such movements in games like Skyrim while leaving turning left or right for the keyboard?

Comments

• blazespinnakerblazespinnaker Posts: 233
    edited January 2015
    Oooh that's a very clever idea Tardigrade. I think I'll do the same. Product idea for Jan, extension to hold your laptop.

I don't get the "omit support ring" though. That makes no sense to me. The omni even has a sit down feature to when you need to focus for a bit and can't deal with walking distraction.

3. Is it possible to map walking forwards/backwards/sidewards from the Omni to such movements in games like Skyrim while leaving turning left or right for the keyboard?
    +1!
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,049
    You can turn using a different input device. It would be easier if you wore the harness while working, and no it doesn't take long to add and remove the support. I wonder if Microsoft's HoloLens could generate a virtual keyboard and mouse for operating a PC? Then you wouldn't need an extended tray for your keyboard/laptop.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • yeah, or just need a good finger mo-cap like control vr. Might be awhile before we get that kind of fidelity though.. The future is bright, however.
  • Thanks for your feedback!

Well, I work in a normal office environment. Sometimes I walk over to a workmate, etc. It would be strange to climb out of the Support ring each time. Or maybe I have a wrong idea about how to go in and out. Is there a video about it somewhere? I would also like to compare times with or without the harness ...
  • @sutekiB I think my 5kg ROG laptop will break the rack, not to mention the force I use on the keyboard....I broke the W button. ROG laptop keyboards are not very durable, and maintenance requires you to remove the entire keyboard module. which is expensive and hard to find as far as im concerned.

I need to ramp up my living standards. Time to work hard for my own room! (I wish it were that easy)

• JorgenJorgen Posts: 108
    edited February 2015
    @Tardigrade If you want to use the Omni front of a screen, you loose all the interest of the "omnidirectional" part....
    Perhaps what you need is a traditional treadmill-desk... http://blogs-images.forbes.com/susanadams/files/2014/03/steelcase-e1394564003875.jpg
    Or perhaps just a simple low-friction slope if you want a passive device ?

Or just the nicest DIY solution yet : http://inhabitat.com/diy-human-hamster-wheel-lets-you-conquer-the-office-rat-race/ :)
  • TardigradeTardigrade Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    @Jorgen: Thanks, but a traditional treadmill-desk doesn't quite fit the bill for me, because I only work most of the time, but not all the time -- and I don't want to have another space consuming device just for gaming. Apart from that, treadmill-desks are awfully expensive. The DIY wooden thing looks cool though ;-) but comes with additional drawbacks: it is even bigger than other devices and you are forced to being close to the screen.