Drivers for other software

jgwinnerjgwinner Posts: 35
edited July 2013 in Omni SDK
I would love to work on a driver for a real CAD program to allow things like Architectural walk throughs, CAD work (walk around your model) and the like. It wouldn't even have to involve an HMD, using the tray and regular CAD controller, would still enable an amazing amount of interaction.

Can't wait - I jumped on the kickstarter, but have to cool my heels until 2014. :oops: :D

== John ==

Comments

• adminadmin Posts: 161
    John, thanks! For just walking around, any software that uses WASD input commands can be used with the Omni without the need for additional drivers.

Thank you for your support!

Jan
  • jgwinnerjgwinner Posts: 35
    Thanks Jan

Most CAD software doesn't do WASD, it would have to be an HID controller I'd think, i.e. a mouse driver.

== John ==
  • 1oddgirl1oddgirl Posts: 5
    John,

I don't know much about CAD programs and their Mouse vs. WASD abilities, but if there is no WASD solution out there, you could always talk to some software engineers or indie game developers to see if it's possible/affordable to create an application to easily import and interact with your CAD designs in VR using something like the Omni/Rift combo.

Note: Some users at the Oculus forums have useful things to say about this: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=40&t=883

If there is no ready-made solution available, you could perhaps form a partnership with a software engineer or pay to have them write a program that can give you WASD functionality with your various cad designs (again, IF a solution does not exist, which it might, I just haven't found it with my limited knowledge of CAD needs). I would suggest considering this option, as it could be a useful tool for the future. I'm sure other people would like to be able to import their own CAD designs and view/interact with them in VR... and they might want to show their designs to others who may not have the CAD software, but still want to view/interact with the designs to give feedback.

This is a great, active site full of game developers: http://www.gamedev.net

Though you aren't looking to make a game, this may still be a project that appeals to a programmer there. You could post in their classifieds section if you want to hire someone, or check the forums if you're looking for a collaborator. There are some very helpful people there. No harm in asking, anyhow. Just check the FAQ's before posting to the forums (many people don't, and it's often immediately apparent to forum regulars).

Also, you could perhaps try importing your CAD file to Unity or another game creation program and use that to make a "game" yourself (It wouldn't actually be a game, just a walk-through program, but still would be awesome to walk through/around your designs). Unity is a FANTASTIC, free tool and there are plenty of tutorials out there for someone to learn the basics of it pretty darn quickly. Here's a thread on the difficulty and workarounds to importing CAD files to Unity. It's from 2010, but still might have some good suggestions for you (and there may be more recent solutions out there):

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/34738- ... into-Unity

As I said, I don't know a great deal about CAD programs, but I hope these might be some useful suggestions. If not, well... I was just trying to help. ;)
  • RaoulRaoul Posts: 125
    What John posted got me thinking. It's not only CAD software that uses HID controller input, playing games would also be much better with this.

Using WASD would only allow for two speeds in most games (walking/running). Since 1:1 pace is supported through the SDK, using HID controller output you could map this to correspond to the output of a gamepad's analog stick.

With a little calibration and the ability to setup a profile per game, it would allow you to match your walking speed with the character in game. Provided the game supports a gamepad (almost all modern games do).

If the Omni SDK does not support this hopefully someone can code some software to simulate a HID controller. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to do that myself. But maybe software like GlovePIE could be adapted/configured for this.
    I am a software developer :) ... but it's hard to develop the software without the device :D

A mouse driver would be the way to go, but ideally you could 'twist' in addition to moving forward/back. This would allow people to use the device as an architectural walk-through. That could be big bucks for design firms. Probably no HMD, just a screen, but you get the idea.

== John ==
    @John

Let's hope Virtuix is able to release the SDK before the Omni ships so we can work out some sort of translation of the Omni output to a mouse or gamepad controller in advance. If the SDK does not support it natively.

Although I wonder how well suited the Omni would be for an architectural walk trough. Not because of the Omni, but more due to the nature of these type or renders. Pre-rendering will always look way better than anything rendered in real time. Therefore static 360° renders where the user can look around in all directions, but not move around, are in my opinion more suitable than anything in real time.
    You should see some of the newer rendering engines with a full blown PC and fully loaded graphics cards.

There's also been a lot of work lately on real time raytracing, but unless you're living in a glass house :) you really don't need that for a good ArchVis.

The only thing that wouldn't look real would be people in it (the "uncanny valley" problem), but usually you wouldn't have people wandering around an ArchVis.

But as far as CAD goes, I was also thinking of being able to walk around inside your model / level / building while designing it. I ordered the keyboard rack :) so I can experiment with this myself.

== John ==
    It's definitely not a problem of graphics looking good, more of a technical problem rendering a model that complex. Considering this has to be done without any discernible latency, and therefore render at 60 fps using a single GPU.

As a design tool the Rift seems great, if only to get a good sense of scale. But to be able to render a scene for a client without any complaints of nausea might be a little harder.