KOR-FX Vest Review

Started a separate discussion because I think the discussion title better reflects what is being talked about. I did a quick review of the KOR-FX months ago so I hope someone will find this review to be informative.

Got my Kor-Fx and been testing it since yesterday. Here’s my quick impression of it: I love it. However, there are some issues with it.

Pros:
-Immersion. I played some FPS and flight sim and the tension was retched up a level. When firing a bullet or firing a missile, the rumble from the vest and controller do add to the experience.
-It’s fairly comfortable to wear. After a while, you’ll forget it's there (wear a shirt... or not if you like to live dangerously).
-It’s wireless. The vest and station is powered by four AA each (the station can also be usb powered) so using it with the Omni should be hassle free. Make sure to get rechargeable AA.
-The vest has numerous sound settings but, to be honest, I really couldn’t tell a difference between them. The tutorial video did say they were subtle, so maybe I need to play longer or they’re too subtle. Regardless, it’s nice that they’re there (you feel like a badass changing them during playing).
-It’s well made and looks cool.
-If you’re a girl, yes, you can use it. There are tutorial videos of a girl using it.

Cons:
-Tweaking. Every game is different so you’ll have to adjust the volume of the vest and sound settings of the game to how you like it.
-Sound leakage. These were meant to be used with headphones because otherwise you’ll hear mumbling sounds from the vest. Not as bad at lower volume though.
-They do impede some movement of your arms, not much though. I’m only mentioning this because I’m going to use this with the Omni whereas if your playing traditional games it won’t really matter.
-The vest only takes AA so if you don’t have some laying around, you’ll have to get some. Again, get rechargeable.
-No rumble in the back. Maybe it’ll be added in V2.
-$150… a bit steep.

Conclusion:
Is the vest worth it? it depends on what kind of gamer you are. For traditional gaming this vest will add immersion to the experience. For VR gaming, I think it’s going to be an excellent add-on. Until the Omni is released however, it’s hard to tell how well Kor-Fx will add to the overall experience, since you’re running and not stationary. If you can swallow the price tag, and you want to try something new for gaming, I would recommend the vest.
Jan. 15, 2015