Omni Arena

For those who don't know, the Omni Arena is a multiplayer, multi Omnis game where people compete against each other in an arena-type virtual battle-space.

The main reason I'm excited about this is there is an idea in the sports community that esport is not a "real sport". They criticize our medium because they perceive our lack of drastic body movements as sub-par to their own respective notion of what active sport really is. I think this event and what Virtuix refers to as "active VR" has the potential to really change people's perception of what VR can be: not just solo gaming but as a gateway to social, active. immersive experiences that can one day be mentioned with other major sports with an enthusiastic fan base. Just my thoughts, anyways.

Comments

• yes, absolutely Mostly you'll see pretty athletic folks winning those sorts of tournaments. Athletes are great for marketing.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    I have always had a bit of a different definition of what a sport is. In my opinion a sport is as follows....
    1. Must have 2 or more teams
    2. Must have 1 or more people on a team
    3. Each team attempts to complete a objective
    4. Each team attempts to prevent the other team of completing that objective
    So by my, what most would consider odd, definition. Baseball, Hockey, Chess, Team Fortress 2, StarCraft1/2, Magic the Gathering and Omni Arena are all sports. Now things like Golf, Nascar, F1 racing(pretty much any racing), TRAVR Ops training, Track and Field would be considered competitions because none of them meet the 4th and in my opinion most important point that makes a sport a sport.

Anyway those are my crazy thoughts on what a sport is.
  • @blazespinnaker. Which makes you wonder who Virtuix will choose to compete at CES since it's not open to the general public; will the competitors be average gamers or those who compete athletically who can maintain the tempo of using the Omni for an extended period of time without exhaustion being an issue.

@xxann5. I agree with those criterias but my issue is the sports/general public won't see e-sport as a real sporting event even if those criterias are in effect. Those COD or CS competition are entertaining for us hardcore gamers but they're not covered/talked about by the sport community with as much intensity as other major sports (basketball, football, etc.). What I'm hoping to see is this Omni Arena, and especially when all people get their Omnis and start uploading/sharing their experiences online, that the sport broadcasters will say "Oh, this is 'a real sport now' and we should give it some air time like other sports because it will appeal to a broader audience now."

Another point I'll make about this is Virtuix has some very influential people as advisers: specifically Mark Cuban, owners of the Mavericks, and Mike Griffith, Vice Chairman of Activision. With them on board I see the potential in the not to distant future where a competitive e-sport tournament will be started to test the feedback it will get from not only gamers, but the sport community as well. And if it is really successful then who knows, maybe we'll have high salary professional Omni players like we do with other major sports. That's my long term vision on this as it relates to e-sport.
    O ok @Sponge101 I see what your saying. I definitely think the Omni could be a great launching pad for getting the general masses to consider e-sports "reall".
  • Ooh! shiny... Me. Must. Have. :p

• Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 477
    BTW, why is there an Omni base and shoe hung on the wall?
    I for one would want to proudly display the prototypes if it was my company. Hell Elon Musk is going to be doing that with a 1st stage of the Falcon 9 that just safely landed after launching its payload into space.
    The main goal behind that project is making space travel economical -- way beyond the scope for the like of us poor commoners though :(

It would be awesome if they somehow hung this old version on the wall and the new one next to it.

@KellCam_Virtuix. Is there any way we can see the Omni Arena tournament live?
    According to Virtuix, "We are an official partner of HTC at the show and have the latest Vive HMD kits on display." Not sure if that means only Vive HMDs are used during the tournament but using the controller for this event does make sense. Wonder if they have gotten Touch development kits yet?
    So far this is the best video of Omni Arena tournament at CES that I could find:
    Who's that guy with the cool blue glasses I wonder?... ;)
    Here's another video from a different angle. We are witnessing the future of VR gaming, folks:
  • blazespinnakerblazespinnaker Posts: 235
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, Arena was really awesome. Agreed, this is the future. Bit sad they didn't live stream it all, but alas. :)
    I'm sure they wanted to (why wouldn't they?) but CES is notorious as being a wireless interference nightmare; it is after all the largest consumer electronics show in the world. It's the same reason why they couldn't use the Vive lighthouse because the environment is so bad.

I'm not joking when I say this: I would pay pay-per-view level money to watch tournament like this. As a viewer it's just so much more fun to watch guys running around than seeing them sitting with keyboard and mouse/controller in other e-sport.
  • blazespinnakerblazespinnaker Posts: 235
    edited January 2016
    I wouldn't mind playing in a fantasy omni arena league :D If they could stream the video such that I could ghost it in my own Omni, that'd be cool. Maybe a teleport / levitate options as well.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    Who's that guy with the cool blue glasses I wonder?... ;)
    Ah, that would be me. Unfortunately I caught the Flu just before CES started, so I haven't been well enough to compete (though I did fill in for someone for a couple of rounds). Since I was there, I decided to try my hand at shout-casting. It was fun doing some live commentary for a change! I felt like an old retired pro turned pundit. There's still a chance I might play tomorrow depending on how I feel, but I actually lost my voice completely today and couldn't even do the commentary so it looks unlikely. I will do a write-up at some point after the show finishes.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    That's really unfortunate. I knew you really wanted that trophy (not to mention all the traveling you had to do). I hope you get well as I'm sure you've taken all the necessary medication to do so. (I was wondering why you didn't say much during the videos.)

This event is an important moment in VR gaming as it's the first ever competitive VR tournament so I'm sure your first-hand experience will provide insightful and vivid personal analysis -- can't wait! :)
    Check out the form the guy on the right has! that's awesome
    The man has skills, no doubt.

I'm really hoping Virtuix has tapped and will upload the entire tournament from beginning to end so we can get a visual taste for what it was like there.
    Agreed. If they went through the trouble of getting, what seemed to be a very good announcer, I would assume they recorded it. Hopefully they are just editing it up and will post it soon.