Oculus delays Touch controllers to 2nd half of 2016

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-delays-touch-controllers-to-second-half-of-2016/

On the path to perfecting Touch, we’ve decided that we need more time before release, and we’ll now be shipping Touch in the second half of 2016. Pre-orders will open a few months prior to launch.

While it's a disappointment, I'm glad they're taking the time to get their controllers right. I've heard they're pretty incredible.

The Rift remains on track for Q1 release.

Comments

• xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    I cant say I am all that exited about Touch, especially using it with the Omni. They demo'd the Touch with two cameras instead of the one that will come with the Rift to limit occlusion issues. Fine not a problem, tough will come with the second camira, well not a problem until you turn around and are no longer facing the cameras. Good job Oculus. But is there hope? I am not convinced there is. Palmer said on redit that he set up two of the cameras on ether side of his VR room and said the Touch tracking "works fine" but then went on to say...
    Nope. Still has issues with occlusion during many interactions.
    We considered showing four sensors at E3, but decided to go with the stock Touch bundle of 1+1 instead. We want to honestly market the setup most people will actually have, not a fantasy that few games will utilize. Most software will not take full advantage of motion capture style many-camera rigs, as cool as they are for hardcore enthusiasts. Same goes for things like subwoofers, fans, and motion platforms.
    OK so two cameras will work, kind-of, but you really need 4 cameras for the best 360 results, again not a big deal just need to buy two extra cameras, they can be that much. However, that's allot of USB 3.0 ports and ALLOT of feet of USB cables!

I really think Oculus screwed the pooch not adopting Lighthouse.
  • Wow, that's bad news for oculus. The controllers are very critical. Everything I want to do involves them. Good thing for vive.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 428
    I'm not happy :/ That being said however, I agree with KellCam_Virtuix that getting the controller right (especially for VR since it's a new genre) is crucial. Look at the Wii: a sub-par system in terms of specs to other consoles but what made it so successful was its unique controller. People picked it up and interacted with it in a way they've never experienced before, this is comparable to what Oculus is trying to do with VR, making that crucial, first-impression on the player.

Touch was never a high priority for me, anyways. I did wanted to experiment with it but the Omni, CV1 (which is still on track for Q1) were always more important.
    For me a tracked controller is paramount. I do not want to be aiming with my face.
    A lot of people have said that aiming with their face was weird at first but then their brains adapted to it soon after (on Omni). I've never tried it so I wouldn't know but I also love the idea of positionaly tracked controller. Just hope they make it affordable; the STEM is in the high 3 digits.
  • Sponge, it's all about presence. The problem isn't aiming with your face, which is actually easier, the problem is that touch controllers really convince you that you are in the world. No touch is like not being able to use headphones.
    Yeah, many people have tried to explain the idea of presence and I'm sure the controllers are crucial for that. I think presence is something that can't really fully be explained and that each person needs to experience that for themselves to really understand it. I know the feeling of immersion from video games but presence to me sounds like a level beyond that; it now tricks the brain in believing something that doesn't exist -- really amazing and I can't wait to experience it.
    My spidey senses telling me this has something to do with the Vive's CES announcement...
    Could be @Sponge101 thankfully the wait to CES is almost over. Actually the first keynote is tonight by Nvidia http://www.nvidia.com/object/ces2016.html It looks like it will mostly be about car BS that i dont really care about but its possible they could release more Info about Pascal.
    I'm definitely excited about Pascal; we've been stuck at the 28nm fab for so long that 16nm in Pascal should show significant performance. Not to mention all the other new features. The question is is it enough for VR though. Maybe Nvidia will do a live demo of Pascal during their keynote.

Tomorrow is Sony's so I'm excited to see what they have been working on for PS VR.