Oculus - $599 USD

blazespinnakerblazespinnaker Posts: 235
edited January 2016 in Lounge
Quite the price point, more than I thought. Surprised Piper Jeffrey's was so far off.

Reddit crowd, not so happy: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zqde2/rift_is_599_launch_details_released_as_preorders/

Hmm, I guess Vive must be, what, $1000?

Comments

• xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    WOW! just WOW! So much for being "in the same ballpark" like Palmer keeped on saying. If it's true that oculus is selling it at cost then that is insane. I was expecting the Vive to be between $600 and $800, Not the Rift. I really hope HTC does a better job at keeping the costs down, they do have more practice at this sort of manufacturing so I suppose there is still hope.

Absolutely crazy
  • blazespinnakerblazespinnaker Posts: 235
    edited January 2016
    Yeah, I suspect this will make the GearVR a lot more attractive to the crowd. I don't foresee Vive being cheaper.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 477
    I'm hurt -- badly... :'(
  • TomekTomek Posts: 76
    I am pretty well off but even I paused before entering my details. It was much more than hinted. Plus they just suddenly charge an extra $50 in Australia with VERY expensive shipping of $132. A total of >$1.1k AUD for me in Australia and the AUD is likely to be even lower when they ship and charge. I'm afraid this will lead to many people not getting one. It was completely unnecessary to give original backers a free one. I'm sure this bumped the price and will hurt adoption.
    But hey, the wireless adapter for the controller is included... that takes the sting away right? Palmer has a lot of explaining to do tonight.
    That AMA is going to be a **** show.
  • TronesTrones Posts: 2
    Ill probably just stick with my DK2 until star vr or another 5k hmd comes out... it's not like I use it often, waiting on my omni to be shipped :)
  • Yeah, I hear you Trones. Problem is that DK2 has poor positional tracking compared to cv1. :(
  • I bought it anyway. I said to myself "Screw it, I'll do anything." And so I did. 599.00 is no problem if I'm not getting charged till March, and at a price like that, you know they think it's worth it. What say you?
    I'll see what Palmer has to say in two hours before deciding whether this was worth it or not. Either way, it's going to be entertaining.

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 54
    I bought mine - managed to get into the first shipping run too so I'm completely stoked..roll on April.

@Tomek I'm in Perth so I feel your pain on the price increase but I said to myself I bought an iphone when they first came out for less than that and most of my devices cost around the same..
    Nice, Congrats @kzintzi I have decided to wait on the Vive.
  • LyonheartLyonheart Posts: 4
    edited January 2016
    I"m actually surprised its as cheap as it is ( cost is relative ), But I understand why people are shocked ( due to the misleading "in the ball park" quote.) But i would have paid more, and I'm willing to bet the Vive will be more than 600. I will be buying the Vive as well. ( no I'm not rich.. I'm just a gaming enthusiast )
    Exactly @Lyonheart you don't have to be rich to afford this kind of stuff. It just takes time and willpower to save the money. It might take some longer to afford then others but its still doable.