HTC Vive Pre-Orders Open Feb. 29th

Comments

• Just a courtesy reminder: the Vive's pre-order is starting in 10 days. If you need to move money around (because it's probably going to be expensive) now is a good time to do so because we don't know if they're going to pull an Oculus and not charge us up front or not.
  • Strange, interest on this forum about the Vive is lower than I thought it would be...
  • blazespinnakerblazespinnaker Posts: 233
    edited February 2016
    @Sponge101 I ordered a leap motion. May use that instead of a Vive
  • I can't believe how much money Leap Motion has raised--$1.4 Billion (Yes! With a "B"). They must be working on something pretty incredible down there in Florida. The latest leap demo video is cool but I think they're hiding something more up their sleeves for the HMDs releases.
  • I think that's Magic Leap. Leap Motion has struggled a bit. But, I really think hand tracking is the future. Gloves and a few tracking cameras will solve the occlusion problems.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,037
    @Sponge101 Thanks for reminder! I'm very excited for the Vive, having tried it and experienced no occlusion problems. Will be pre-ordering on the 29th.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • @blazespinnaker. Oops. I got confused because they both have "leap" in their names. I'm definitely interested in hand tracking and those wizard videos we posted shows the potential. But I also think there's a need for buttons as well. Oculus bought Nimble but they also have the Touch; not sure how those two will work together in the future but I'm excited as a player and for developers :)

@sutekiB. I'm excited as well. Vive and Oculus are trying different things for VR and that's great.
  • blazespinnakerblazespinnaker Posts: 233
    edited February 2016
    @Sponge101 I'm a big minority report fan. I like the idea of manipulating virtual objects with my hand is cool. I actually like that it doesn't work when out of the range of the camera. It means I can rest my hands without worrying they'll trigger something accidentally.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    I am VERY pleased with the price. Its the exact price i was hoping for, Ok I was hoping for $37.95 lol, but i was realistically hoping for no more than $800.
  • I was hoping for FREE--but, you know, capitalism and all that... $800 for everything and two games: Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption, isn't too bad; at least it isn't $1000 like some people thought. April is the release month but no exact day. It's the same month that Oculus is shipping the vast bulk of their initial HMDs as well--I love competition! I have only one thing to say:

Or the classic version:
    Crippling credit card debt is the american way! lol
  • Oh I guess I'll get one. Damn exchange rates
    I have to say I knew about exchange rates and VAT's and other related import taxes but wow I had no idea they where so high in some countries. In some cases its almost double when its all said and done.
  • Heads-up: The second of the three major HMDs pre-order is about to open. T-minus around an hour.
    http://www.htcvive.com/us/

HTC also reveled the price breakdown for each country. Here it is:

Region
    Currency
    MSRP
    US*
    USD
    US $799.00
    Australia
    USD
    US $899.00
    Canada*
    CAD
    CAD 1149
    China
    CNY
    CNY 6,888
    Taiwan
    TWD
    NT$28,288
    Japan
    JPY
    JPY 111,999
    UK
    GBP
    £ 689.00
    New Zealand
    USD
    US $949.00
    EU
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Belgium
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Czech
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Denmark
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Finland
    EUR
    € 899.00
    France
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Germany
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Iceland
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Ireland
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Italy
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Netherlands
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Norway
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Poland
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Spain
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Sweden
    EUR
    € 899.00
    Switzerland
    EUR
    € 899.00

They're also throwing in Google’s Tilt Brush:

And then there was one--PSVR.
  • @blazespinnaker. Leap Motion is 50% off today (coincidence?...). If you can still cancel your order you can get a good deal on it. Anyone else wanting one now is the time.
    http://store-us.leapmotion.com/
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,037
    Thanks for the heads up @Sponge101, I was F5ing. Vive pre-ordered! Looking forward to April.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • @Sponge101 Yeah, wish I got the half off deal. But then again, can't wait for mine to arrive! Did you get a Vive?
    Vive orderd!!

Now if we only had more info about the shipping dates of another long awaited product (hint! hint!) ;)
  • @blazespinnaker. Really wanted to, but let's just say my credit card wasn't having any of it after that whole $600 Oculus surprise thing. Will definitely get one, just have to wait a few months till my balance sheet looks better. Hope you got yours.

@xxann5. Congrats. My guess shipping will be in the next month or two. Perfect timing, isn't it.
    Thanks @Sponge101 Yes that would be very good timing.