SutekiB's Omni Experience Videos

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    Okay here it is! I kinda went overboard on the editing but... here's my special edition of Explore VR - My HTC Vive review! Hope you guys like it :D

Community Manager at Virtuix
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    edited May 2016
    Nice, video, as usual.

I could not agree more about room scale and teleportation. They both have there place but I want more.
  • gleamingsandsgleamingsands Posts: 306
    edited May 2016
    I think it's pretty clear that Omni and products like it are the future of active entertainment. Nobody wants to feels limited, and as Suteki put it, "Room scale, as applied, is like being in a prison of your own design, and nobody wants that unless it's intended in the simulation. What's more bothersome for me is the potential danger, which, no matter how much tech you tack on to the headset, is clear and present the entire time. Great job Suteki, I really loved the green screen!
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for the video. My Vive is supposed to arrive tomorrow, and is likely to eventually be dedicated to the Omni (and maybe the few square feet available for roomscale games), so I'll be interested to see how well it works there.

Edit: BTW, it's worth noting that 'FPS sickness' was a thing back when the first FPS games came out. People complained that they couldn't play them because the movement made them sick. People don't do that today because they got used to FPS gameplay, and developers found ways to minimize the impact on those who were particularly sensitive.
  • KijutsuKijutsu Posts: 85
    Great video and I agree with you about the Omni BUT 2 things will have to happen first, the Omni(or Omnis as a whole) will have to be cheaper and VR will have to be much more main stream for them to gain traction.
    I've been working on a much bigger video which is taking forever, so I put that on hold and uploaded a new let's play. This time - MIND Path to Thalamus! It's a great game, I highly recommend it. The mixed reviews on Steam are mostly people playing without VR, or with VR but without an Omni, so they're either missing out on the atmosphere or they're getting sick when they move. Which reminds me, I need to leave a good review on the store...

• YES! YESSSS! Looks great.
    What is the video you're working on man? I'm looking forward to it. Incidentally, I think I may have ripped off the title for my thread "FrazierDanger's VR-Experience" from you. I only noticed an hour after posting it, but alas, it was too late. Oh well. Sorry my man.
    @gleamingsands Haha, don't worry about it. I think it was @Sponge101 who suggested the name. Maybe it'll become a convention and the forum will gradually fill up with Omni/VR experience video threads? :)
    The big video is Skyrim - that was always the dream man, so I have to do it justice.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 477
    edited May 2016
    @sutekiB, @gleamingsands. Yes! It was MY idea! And be on notice that I have sent legal copyright notice to both of you for infringement-- nay, I'm kidding ;)

• GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    @Sponge101 - I observed your "reaction" and have already notified the fine brothers. They should be sending you the appropriate C&D order shortly.
    edited May 2016
    New video! Who wants to see some decoupled looking, aiming, and walking in a VR FPS?

A VR FPS? It can't be true - such a thing is heresy! Not if you have a Virtuix Omni :)

edited May 2016
    Cool--and creepy. How's the fps and settings?
    edited May 2016
    Cool video man. I need more. Any multi-platform VR stuff yet? We could do a collab on Altspace. I'd really like to see what that's about.
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    @gleamingsands - from what I've heard, the mic tends to pick up the noise from the Omni in altVR, so it can sound REALLY weird to everyone else as you move around. They don't have a dedicated controller mute/push to talk button so for now it's rather inconvenient to move around with the Omni in that setting.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 198
    strictly my opinion but in your game play videos you should have yourself in bottom corner. when you are green screened into the middle it looks like you are flying around the level
  • Poor Craddock, he was one day away from retirement.
  • THET1KTHET1K Posts: 17
    edited June 2016
    Incredible videos sutekiB. Thank you for taking the time to create so many good videos featuring the omni. This game reminds me a lot of F.E.A.R...perhaps it's a synthesis of several classic legacy shooters. ROFL @ KellCam_Virtuix-the poor bastard.
  • Eagerly awaiting the next video! I've been playing "Edge of Nowhere." Incredible experience. I was unable to pull myself away an ended up accidentally creating a 2 hour video. Editing will be hell.
    I know what you mean @gleamingsands, I've been editing a 2 hour video as well (might not be the next one that goes up). Factor in several layers of transparencies and it's very time consuming. Still, I enjoy producing them, especially when they get such a kind reception. Thanks @THET1K!
  • travis1409travis1409 Posts: 131
    Can you play Skyrim with the vive or one of the older games like it? I want to see how the controllers work with it.
    Hey @travis1409, yes you can play Skyrim with the Vive. Works pretty well. No motion controls with the Vive wands though, unless that gets patched in later (there are rumours of a Skyrim remaster being unveiled at E3 - I guess it's too much to hope for Vive controller support) - I use either an Xbox controller or Steam controller.
  • travis1409travis1409 Posts: 131
    Someone used WiiMotes with the Omni in Skyrim so I thought there might be a way to get the Vive controllers to work with it.
    @sutekiB. When I heard that Skyrim remake rumor, if true, will mean that it'll now be even harder to run the game in G3D. Sure, one can play the original version, but who will want to skip all the enhancements of the remake? I'm really hoping my hardware can deliver a smooth experience.
    @Sponge101 Whichever version your hardware can handle, you'll love Skyrim on the Omni.

Amid all the E3 / Skyrim / Fallout VR news, my poor little Minecraft VR video probably won't get any views :'(

Very cool sutekiB. Using the left controller for movement direction is a nice hack.

I have a question. In your opinion, is non-decoupled gameplay even worth investing into? I have thought about buying a Steam or Xbox controller, but it seems like more and more great experiences support the Vive controllers. I know you've said before that it's tough to go back once you've experienced decoupled gameplay. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.
    edited June 2016
    Thansk @THET1K! That's a good question. It's difficult to go back to non-decoupled games, and the same is true of going back from 6DOF head-tracking to 3DOF. Difficult, but not impossible. What's not possible for me is going back to first-person games without the Omni and an HMD. It's too much a loss of immersion. Frankly, my interest in that sort of gaming had begun to wane even before I got into VR, and it was only certain titles that could hold my attention (TES Oblivion, Fallout 3, DayZ). I would still recommend a Steam controller. Games like Skyrim, GTA V, and Fallout 4 are worth playing even without motion controls. A huge part of the experience is the atmosphere - the sense of being in these places and free to move around them. Yes, the fun is diminished somewhat by the lack of decoupled and motion controls, but they're still fun, and they are worth playing especially for now while decoupled titles are scarce.

In any case, you may like the Steam controller for non VR gaming. I am still interested in playing strategy games like FTL, and third person games like Ni No Kuni (it's just first-person games I can't get into without a full VR setup) - and the Steam controller is very nice and more comfortable in the hand than an Xbox 360 controller. I hope that helps!
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    That is a very interesting hack to get decoupled movement, using the left controller. Now we need a third controller or tracking puck to then attach to our Omni harness.
    edited June 2016
    Thank you for the detailed response @ sutekiB :smile:. I will probably go with a Steam controller eventually. I foresee myself either gaming on the couch or in VR.

@xxann5: According to TheSonicRetard, and I quote, "the Omni can decouple body orientation from foot tracking. This is something I didn't expect, and they dropped it on us in the pathfinder group out of the blue. It was a wonderful surprise. Without going into the nuts and bolts of precisely how it's done (NDA, remember), the ring that holds the harness does the heavy lifting. There is actual hardware in the unit that lets the harness figure out it's orientation in absolute space. Currently, only natively written games take advantage of it, but I have been in close contact with Bo Xuan Hon, author of GTAVR, and Virtuix, and they're working on a way to get the body orientation tracking to talk to the translation software so that non-native applications can work with it."

Check out his "full month with the Virtuix Omni" review.
  • I would love to be able to just make a house in Minecraft and then walk around in it. Nothing fancy, but that would still blow my mind.

Do another Vivecraft video @sutekiB! I can easily watch an hour of someone playing Minecraft, even better if it's in VR.