PSVR Launches October 2016 -- $400 U.S.

Sony finally let loose the date and price at GDC. Looks like their subsidizing this heavily with the expectation of making up for it on the software side. Spec snapshot below. We finally have all three major HMDs prices and release dates. 2016 looks to be the true year of VR. Now we need only one more release date... ;)

Source: https://live.theverge.com/sony-playstation-vr-gdc-2016/?_ga=1.155264635.1181033070.1442348560

Comments

• xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    They nailed it with the price. Though i somewhat expected they would be subsidizing the hardware. That is after all the console module. Subsidize the hardware so people actually buy it, and then make your money on the software.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 428
    Turns out that Sony is actually in the black (making money) on the HMD--this surprised me. They said it's because of their hardware experience that allowed them to find inexpensive parts for the headset and therefore undercutting the other two HMDs. But the camera is not included so another $60 there. Total cost of console and headset and everything else (move controllers) comes out to a little over $800, which is in the ballpark of the Vive and probably the Oculus as well when the Touch prices are revealed (my guess $150). Sony's VR seems to be the lowest cost to entry but their audience is somewhat different than the PC VR audience.
    In the black?! now that's surprising. Does not include the camera??? well I guess if you already have one...
    I have to admit I'm really considering pulling the trigger on PSVR. Main reasons are cost and it's Sony--they will have great software support internally and from 3rd-party; more will be announced at E3 probably. That being said though, the Omni alone is enough reason for me to first purchase PC-based HMDs. Still hoping for Virtuix to make a deal with Sony however...
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 54
    I've not owned a console since the N64 - and I only got that for Wipeout 2047 :smiley: besides, it's only 12 days till shipping day!!! :smile:
    Yes, and I'm extremely looking forward to it as well. I've waited years for this moment--I held off buying the DK1 and Dk2, I held off trying lesser HMD, I've been borderline obsessed with VR for some time. I had hoped that my first VR experience would be a combination of the Rift and Omni but as things are now it looks like CV1 will come first.

I understand your point about the console. It needs great AAA VR games to get us interested. Right now, looking at the games for PSVR, I wouldn't say there's a killer app yet--I'm borderline on buying it at the moment. For me, it will be at E3 that tips the balance.
    HA that's funny @kzintzi I bought a PS3 Just to play the last of us and I bought a Wii just to play Zelda windwaker.

19 Days until shipping for me.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 54
    @Sponge101 I'm a lot like you in respect to VR and waiting... held off backing the DK1 (bit annoyed with myself now since they all got a free unit) in favour of waiting till the production version came out, then did the same for DK2... now I'm like my kids counting down to Easter (and with the same timeframe which they both think is funny)....

I got obsessed with VR back in the 90's and have been waiting for now... I wanted the Omni and Oculus to be my first experience too, but that's not going to happen - partly coz the additional cost of shipping things to Australia from the US (and that whole screwed up pay more for being in Australia thing), but mainly because I missed the initial pre-order rush and figured it'd be months before I could actually get an omni... oh well, that'll be my Xmas present from the family :smile:

11 days to go....
    90's huh... Virtual Boy... my condolences...

You know, looking at it now and just judging it on its look, it's not that much different looking than the other HMDs; you're still putting your eyes through a ski-mask-like device. Specs wise, there's a world of difference of course. Check out the color palate:

People complain about VR headache, well, this is the OG. Makes me wonder what Nintendo has up their sleeves--"Virtual Boy 2: The Epic Return" would be awesome!

About 2-3 weeks for me :'(
  • Nice! I still have my Virtual Boy. Nester's Funky Bowling, Wario Land, and Golf (yes, just golf) are still fun to this day.
    @KellCam_Virtuix. They're fun to play for a while then I get terrible headache (because of the motion-blur, red and black, etc.)-- a lot of people suffer from this too. Still, Nintendo was way ahead of the curve on VR; now they seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach. I'm predicting an E3 announcement about something...
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,009
    Omni compatibility with Nintendo, Sony, Xbox, PC, and mobile VR headsets. Can you imagine a world like that? :)
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • @Sponge101 I started off my VR experience young, building up immunity to those symptoms. Although, strangely, I still get a headache when reading while riding in a car :p
    @sutekiB. Sure I can--I can see the headline in news articles now, "Omni: the revolutionary device that breaks down console exclusivity, obesity, and fanboyism." Developers and publishers would love that B)

@KellCam_Virtuix. I wonder if reading the same thing in the Gear VR with a serene environment would trigger the same headache. Interesting as an experiment...

• GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 305
    edited May 2016
    @SutekiB - It already works via bluetooth, (even if that is currently just for use with samsung gearVR) so I'm sure that it could manage being recognized as a wireless analog stick. It could theoretically all be up to Sony to decide to add support for it.
  • "It could theoretically all be up to Sony to decide to add support for it."

It won't happen if Virtuix does not reach for Sony to support it, as it is not really Sony's job to seek out input devices.. So I am hoping that the Virtuix folks are on the ball there and are at least making contact.