I hope the Sulon Q is good for gaming!!!

EirheadEirhead Posts: 9
Screw Oculus Rift and HTC Vive! My headset needs to be wireless... The cellphone options are tempting, but a lot of the games I want to play are for PC and not android. The Sulon Q sounds the most exciting to me. I don't have a good VR computer right now anyways, so this is perfect! If it can handle the latest games I'm in... Obviously the higher settings it can play the better, but as long as I have resolution and frames for the all the new VR games coming out over the next 12-24 months, that'll be the perfect system for me. I expect the landscape to evolve pretty rapidly so I don't mind if it's out-dated in a couple years, but as long as it can do VR games now, I know which headset I'm going with in the near future.

Comments

• edmgedmg Posts: 57
    From what little I've seen, it seems much less powerful than the recommended spec for the Rift and Vive. So it may be able to run some games, but I'd be surprised if it looks anywhere near as good as the ones on Youtube.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    You cant compare Sulon Q to the Rift or Vive. They are different products. The Sulon Q is something better than a GearVR but no where close to a Rift or Vive. It has something like an 8th the processing power of the minimum spec for the Rift and Vive. So you wont be playing many of the games coming out for the Rift and Vive on it, presuming you could even get them to work.

I would also be very concerned about the weight and heat that's allot of kit hanging from your face. I would also be concerned about battery life. If they where smart they would have but everything but the screen on a belt or a small backpack. They could have then made it much more powerful with a larger battery. Though I understand wanting to keep it in a nice small package that is essentially a single piece.
  • EirheadEirhead Posts: 9
    Good point. I do think the general design philosophy of the Sulon Q is the way to go, even though the initial offering might be lacking. My biggest peeve with the rift and vive are the cords... Also I think the Augmented Reality considerations in the Sulon are going to be vital for the future of VR - even if it's just the ability to tap a button and go into see-through mode or whatever. I do see games as the biggest driving force behind the success of VR, so a system that can play games well is pretty important to me - I see the gear and google glass more as a niche toy, while actually being able to walk around medieval Europe and sword fight in Kingdom Come Deliverance with an Oculus and Omni will be a much more groundbreaking VR experience. Perhaps one of of Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo will really take it to the next level? The PSVR is a start. Anyhoo, I'm not so sure what the specs of the Sulon Q are or anything, but I was just kind of curious if it was going to have enough power to give me some cordless PC gaming. If not, I suppose I'll have to pass, but I'd be willing to pony up the cash for that kind of system for sure.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    I guess it depends on what you want to play. There are quite a few games on the Gear VR that I find very fun. Hero Bound and Tactera to name two.
    FPS, Roleplaying, Adventure... Worlds I can walk around in with the help of an Omni.
  • langknowlangknow Posts: 9
    Honestly, it shouldn't matter if it's wired, because the boom stand looks like it's really good for wire management with the omni.
    I guess, I'm just thinking of games like counter strike were I can spin around 50+ times in like 20 minutes. Like, people say it'll cancel out, but I like to turn right around to check out my 6, and I tend to favour CCW turns, so I just know I'm gonna get the cords really twisted up in no time. I suppose it'll be healthy for my eyes to maybe take the headset off every 30 minutes anyway... But a cordless headset would definitely be preferable.