Oculus Room Scale VR--Looks Good

Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 477
When I get my Rift I plan on standing in addition to sitting. Apparently, even with a single camera, the Rift is tracked pretty well. Oculus hasn't touted room scale as much as Valve so I am very happy to see the Rift is capable of this :)

Comments

• This is really great news. This means that just about every title Valve makes can be ported to the Rift, especially later as the controllers become available.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 477
    Yes, but he hit his head against something--twice... :# Since the Rift doesn't have a Chaperon-type system for safety, developers and Oculus are going to be limited from what they can do with room scale; both from a marketing and legal standpoint.
  • Easy solution; external webcam. I've got to admit, I'm surprised that Oculus did not consider this problem, I guess they felt that the consumer would have no interest in room scale VR. Probably an arrogant decision, but they are the progenitors of the technology and laid out the groundwork for Vive's hardware. Still, a software mod made to read an external webcam, mounted wherever, would probably serve to protect against those things, at least as a work around.
  • Additionally, I'm not suggesting native hardware support, I'm more suggesting Vive games modified to run on Oculus hardware. I doubt there will be much native support for this technology on the Oculus. By the way, downloaded the Oculus store yet?
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    edited March 2016
    "Since the Rift doesn't have a Chaperon-type system for safety,"

Supposedly it's already in SteamVR. There's nothing magical about configuring a box to move in and having it displayed in the game when you get close to the edge.

Also, it doesn't really work on the Vive, either. I've seen videos of people playing Vive games where they almost fall over things in the room even though the chaperone system is telling them they're at the edge of the play area. Playing any remotely intense game without a person watching you to make sure you don't fall over is going to be a risk, even if you have room to move around safely.

My guess is that Facebook didn't want Oculus to support moving games because they don't want to get sued for millions of dollars when someone breaks their face.
    @gleamingsands. Not yet. Still waiting for my Rift that's coming in April. Glad you got yours though.
    @edmg. True. I guess people are too immersed to care about hitting something :D

We're predominantly a standing-VR-experience community ( we have to because--we're on the Omni forum...) so HMDs that can allow us to move freely with good tracking is crucial. Still waiting for someone to upload a vid with a two camera setup to really test its tracking. Without the Touch the results would be somewhat limited but cool to see nonetheless.
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    @edmg - It's not a matter of being supervised by a person vs not, it's just a basic matter that you're dealing scenery that flows perfectly through the chaperone guides. Instead of being seen as a wall, they register merely as a light effect that should be able to be walked through and so our bodies don't shy away from it at all, even if you do remember that there's supposed to be a real wall in that position. Sometimes though it's just a matter that it takes time (and school of hard knocks teaching methods) to incorporate the grid lines with a reflexive "oh hey, don't go there" response, especially when gameplay might be tempting you to try your odds.
    That's why I prefer the Omni as a method of locomotion in games, even if it's more restrictive. If I used the VR system with anything remotely intense, I would get super paranoid about those grid lines, and have to constantly remind myself to pay attention to them. Despite being a more passive system, it puts more of the responsibility on the player to remain grounded partially in reality. With the Omni, you have a consistent minor restriction on your movement, but no actual risk involved. A constant pressure or restriction on movement will eventually be adapted to and forgotten about, allowing you to immerse yourself in the experience without having to think about reality until after you're done.
  • JacobVRJacobVR Posts: 6
    I was lined up for Oculus but after seeing Vive I think I’ve changed my mind. The room scale VR looks incredible. And don’t really need that much space. I just get the feeling oculus has just done a bit of a crap job of launching. With the Vive, you have the controlers and kit for roomscale. And a defined benchmark for every user. Oculus fragments their release by seperating the touch controllers out. And also extra base stations for standing. If they had even of bundles a special Xbox one controller with some IR LEDs/ glued to it so could track that it would of been an improvement. Shame, as those touch controllers do look a lot better then Vives.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    @GreyAcumen I can say that straight from the start i had no problem with the chaperon grid appearing and intently knowing that i need to stop. I did not feel there was any learning curve for it. Now as i said in another post there was one time i was moving too fast and did slam into a wall :p