Vanishing Realms

This NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDS full Omni support!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/

That game looks so F'ing good!

Comments

• Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 428
    Too bad there's no video of gameplay, but the art style is cartoony and vibrant. Why are you so excited about it BTW?
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    Its an RPG with tracked controllers in VR! Sword swinging, shield blocking awesomeness, and hopefully magic as well. At least thats what some people who have demo'ed it have said anyway. There is actually not much info on it yet. Its made by a former Valve employee that wanted to do his own thing.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 428
    Sounds promising. I'll keep an eye on its progress.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    Great find @xxann5! It does look super promising.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    The store page was updated with some footage: http://store.steampowered.com/app/322770/

It does show some movement, but it's very slow (which has me worried). Another worry; this, from their FAQ:

Q: How do I move within the game?
    A: To move short distances, move your body around within your physical room. Using your actual legs. Walk! To move longer distances, aim at your destination and click the right thumb pad on the tracked controller - you'll 'blink' to the destination.

So it mentions room scale and teleportation, but no word on if keyboard and gamepad are supported, and if so, what kind of speed that outputs. I don't see a contact address. I guess we'll have to wait until Tuesday :|
    i **REALLY** hope that all these games that have this teleportation mechanic also allows standard FPS movement, You basically get that for free with just about any engine, I am really hopping they don't go out of there way to disable it.

But if there is full Omni support it wont really matter Just saying :D
    Something to consider, is that VR software and hardware developers have been worrying about sim-sickness for years. They don't want to cause sim-sickness, nor do they want any reviews to say their game/hardware made someone nauseous, especially during the critical launch period. For this reason, there is a chance that some developers have disabled keyboard and gamepad input, and not even left it as an option that can be enabled. In which case, the Omni SDK would be needed to play these games. We could end up in a weird situation where the most advanced VR experiences are with games that are several years old, that were never originally designed for VR. That would be... awkward.

Although, there's nothing to worry about. The SDK will be ready soon, and once Omnis start going out to developers, I'm sure they'll incorporate it. I mean, can you imagine a scenario where 1% of PC gamers had a keyboard and mouse, while 99% only had a mouse? The 99% would be playing games like FTL, Broken Sword, Puzzle Bobble, etc, while the 1% would be playing all of those, but also FPS games like Quake, Doom, and COD. That's obviously completely unsustainable. There's no way the 99% would allow themselves to be so limited in the content they can enjoy, it's human nature. That's why all PC gamers have a keyboard and a mouse!

All the people ordering Rifts, Vives, and PSVRs, are going to order Omnis too (or some other motion platform if one appears). They just don't know it yet! :D
    chance that some developers have disabled keyboard and gamepad input, and not even left it as an option that can be enabled.
    Ya see where they are coming from and it makes sense. I would even be fine with manually modifying a text configuration file to re-enable classic(?) moment mode.
    The SDK will be ready soon, and once Omnis start going out to developers, I'm sure they'll incorporate it.
    I can not wait to get my hands on the SDK, I have some ideas.....
    I hope your right about the many devs adopting the Omni SDK. Keyboard/Controler emulation is very important for the Omni's early life but in the long term it really needs to have widespread direct SDK adoption.
    All the people ordering Rifts, Vives, and PSVRs
    PS4 Support confirmed? :p
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    Yeah, my worry about the 'roomscale' hype is that some developers will build games that don't allow moving more than a few feet without 'teleporting' or using some similar mechanic imposed only due to the limitations of roomscale gameplay.
    @xxann5 The Omni has been in development for as long as many of the launch window games, so a lot of developers know about it and are interested in supporting it. That includes a lot of high-profile titles like The Gallery: Six Elements (some of us here backed that too), so I'm optimistic!
    You're right, KB&GP support is big, but the SDK is a way for VR developers to encourage gamers to try their content instead of legacy games. You'll notice sometimes in my videos I'm getting stuck on geometry - that's because I want to look around while I'm moving, but when I do I head off in that direction.
    And no, PS4 support not confirmed, lol. I'm just saying that all VR setups need some kind of motion platform; it's an inevitability. Could it be the Omni? I don't know, I hope it happens.

@edmg I'm not against room scale games; they have their own appeal, just as top-down and point and click games do now, but the attempts to shoe-horn the FPS into roomscale with teleportation only highlights how integral the Omni is to VR. In fact I'm glad some are trying to do it! Having teleportation-only is better than just not making any game withe levels larger than a room. Teleportation is a quick-fix for people without an Omni, it's not ideal.
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, the problem with teleportinng is not teleporting per se, but that the developers may not give us any other options. I've already read complaints about first-person VR games that make some kind of 'comfort mode' movement compulsory, with no option to disable it and have direct control over your movements in game.

BTW, thanks for the effort you're putting into your videos, watching your GTA5 video was what finally convinced me I should send in my preorder :).
    @edmg Thanks! I can't wait to make more videos, but unfortunately that's on pause for a week or so as I finish up my reports for the Pathfinder program. Very excited to hopefully show some Vive + Omni action!
    Yeah, it concerns me too - one of my bigger worries is that developers who have the gamepad as an option have set the max speed (stick pushed all the way forward), to be very low, like a crawl. That's one of the comfort mode approaches, and it would be frustrating for us not to even be able to reproduce a normal walking speed. Fortunately though, I'm sure that's the kind of thing can be easily patched by the developer, so if it's an issue on release, at least it can be fixed in one of their updates.
    So @sutekiB Gallery: Six Elements full Omni SDK support confirmed !?

OK I will stop now. LOL
    LOL @xxann5, I honestly don't know. They did have this to say recently:

"We had to make a decision as a company to deliver a locomotion scheme that would make exactly 0% of the buying public nauseous. It was no small achievement to get there. That being said, we are ALWAYS experimenting. We sincerely hope to give players more options via patching"

I am trying to find out if they have basic KB/GP functionality.
    edited April 2016
    Bad news just in from CloudHead Games: "The short answer is no, we don't support that type of movement in the release candidate. The slightly longer and more complicated answer is that we've experimented with systems that do that but all of them fell short in terms of end-user comfort. Its something Paul and I continue to experiment with and we hope to provide a future patch that will allow users to experience the differences for themselves."

So, unless we can 'tweak' an option in a configuration file somewhere, we'll have to wait for them to patch it in. I kinda figured this would happen. A LOT of money has been put into this VR launch by multiple parties; nobody wants to see reviews talking about sim-sickness. Oh well, plenty of legacy games to play while I wait for the launch window to end!
    Hmm.... Well thanks for looking into it.