Omni tracking pods

I got a question. Do the tracking pods work without the platform ?

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,009
    Hi @Csnorlax, welcome to the forum! The tracking Pods communicate with your computer or smartphone via an aggregator board in the Omni; so they won't work for their intended purpose without the Omni.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 305
    how does this aggregator track the pods? Is it only their velocity, or can it actually track their 3 dimensional position when they are between the ring and the base?
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,009
    From the product page: "The Omni Pods are IMU based tracking devices that attach to the Omni Shoes and accurately track the movement of each foot at all times with no noticeable latency. The Pods not only accurately track forward motion in any direction, but also strafing and backwards walking or running at analog speeds, and even jumping.
    The Omni Tracking Pods do not require a dedicated SDK to work with existing games and VR content. The Pod firmware emulates a gamepad controller that works out-of-the-box with any first-person game that is VR-ready and suitable for locomotion."
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    Yeah, the advertisement even states that it can allow the player to show simulated character feet that will accurately represent the player's real feet. With that in mind, more actions that just running should be possible. Jumping/Hopping has already been advertised since before the kickstarter was over, but I've yet to see any signs of that. Other actions should be plausible as well, like kicking/stomping, swimming, skiing, etc. I'm looking at this from a developer angle in the hopes of pushing just what types of experiences the Omni can showcase, so it's important to me to know if the Virtuix team is actually pushing for those capabilities.
  • NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 136
    @GreyAcumen - indeed it does mention that here: http://www.virtuix.com/resource-center/ under 'accurate positioning'. I'm also wondering about that, given they are not using that functionality (as far as we've seen) in any of their demo games. I think that it may hark back to when capacitive sensors were used not IMU pods and this piece of text hasn't been updated? However that's just a guess.
    @NobleBrutus - Yeah, but if anything, the whole point of the pods system was that it actually tracked the feet even better, specifically letting them track the foot even while it is in midair. I don't think this is a limitation of the hardware, but just a limitation of how the value of those types of actions are being perceived. Hopefully Virtuix devs will at least include enough raw tracking in their SDK release that the actions can be checked for and contextualized from the game's side of the equation.
  • NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 136
    @GreyAcumen However that depends on the capability of the IMU's. A single generic IMU is not usually enough to track absolute position in 3D space, usually only change in position, the reason I said the capacitive sensors may have offered more is that it could likely easily tell where your foot was on the Omni, although not when it was in the air. Of course I'd love to be surprised!
    @NobleBrutus - it's not enough to track absolute position when there's no other frame of reference, but the ring and base of the floor provide 2 frames of reference. As long as your body is inside the ring, there's only so much area inside of the ring that your feet can be. from that limitation I think it should be possible to emulate 3d tracking for long enough periods of time to handle simple movements like kicking, jumping, leg sweeping, stomping, etc.