how to play GTA5 on oculus? or anything

Obs545Obs545 Posts: 14
I got my oculus, and have been playing around with it for a few days. Problem is every time I use it it locks me in the oculus store. I've even unchecked this special box in the oculus settings thats supposed to allow me to then use non-oculus approved apps, but still find myself only able to access to main oculus menu when ever I put it on. I know with the test oculus headsets you guys were able to play around in GTA5 and skyrim and stuff like that but how? If any one could point me in the right direction I've looked every where and I keep finding stuff for samsung gear and other things. I've also found mention of various programs, but all the links I try to follow are dead for some reason, but most seem to be from 2014.

Comments

• NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 139
    The program you want is VorpX (www.vorpx.com).

Enjoy!
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    edited May 2016
    I think what @Obs545 is looking for is the option in the settings for the oculus menu that allows 3rd party programs to run. There are very few options in the oculus settings menu anyway, so if you poke around for a bit, you should be able to find it. You might need to specifically check for them in the window that shows up in your desktop. I'm not sure if the menus that display on your HMD let you access those settings.

Aside from that, if you're in the pathfinder program, you should have gotten a dropbox link that lets you access the TRAVR games, and there should also be a folder in there for legacy games that has walkthroughs for setting up the Omni for playing legacy games with the help of VorpX and 360ce. I'm still fiddling with my Skyrim installation to make sure it works regularly before I'll be ready to test that out with VorpX. @sutekiB is the major force behind getting the omni working with those, so you may want to check out his youtube channel just to see what is involved in getting those games set up for it.
  • Obs545Obs545 Posts: 14
    As I said @GreyAcumen I found that in the settings already, and it didn't seem to really do anything. I unfortunately, although I paid for it just over two years ago now, have not yet received an Omni. But I got my oculus last week and have been playing around with it. Hopefully VorpX will do the trick, thank you @NobleBrutus. And Thank you Grey for pointing out SutekiB.
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    edited May 2016
    @Obs545 - Oh, I'm sorry. For running the 3rd party aps, you generally need to just have whatever the 3rd party VR game is and run it. If your HMD is set up, the oculus store will open up on your regular monitor, but the HMD will display a little warning thing and you have to aim the HMD at the button before it will actually RUN the VR game you clicked on. Of course you'll also need to make sure that the VR game you're trying to run is compatible with the specific SDK version you're using. A lot of stuff is either 1.3 or 0.8, and games that run in 0.8 typically do NOT run in 1.3 or vica versa. It's a giant PitA.
    As for the Omni, I hear ya. It's been 3 years since I paid for mine, and if I hadn't signed up for the pathfinder program, I'd still be waiting for one myself. There have already been a ton of major design tweaks and overhauls since I've gotten mine too, so when you do get yours, it's pretty much going to be a far superior version of what I'm using.
    If you're looking for games to test out on Oculus, I'd recommend Lucky Tales and Farlands (both in the oculus store, free, and compatible with a controller) though farlands has been having problems with its audio. If you're looking for non Oculus store games to try, you might want to look in the steam store for Mind: Path to Thalamus, the Virtual Desktop, and I'd super recommend Windlands(on both oculus store and Steam) there is an old demo for windlands that is free, but has fewer "levels" and it needs the 0.8 SDK to run, which you probably aren't running if you're getting the oculus store popping up.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
    @Obs545 - A belated welcome to the forum! Indeed I am still working on legacy games. My current project is Skyrim + Vive, and am making some good progress there. I will be adding a full tutorial on my YouTube channel, but it's going to take a few more days at least. Unfortunately as I don't have a Rift CV1 yet, I'm not best placed to offer advice on that.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    edited May 2016
    I've been experimenting with Skyrim on my Vive. The bizarre thing is that, after I figured out how to run ENB and VorpX at the same time--I needed ENB for the memory manager so I could run with graphics mods without crashing--I got better graphics and better frame rates. Maybe because I turned on the adaptive quality option in ENB and set it to try to hit 45fps?

What I'm not sure of is whether ENB is interfering with the 3D rendering, as it seems to look flatter than it used to. And, I often have to start it two or three times before I get anything more than a black screen, because something goes wrong when trying to hook the game with two different rendering mods at the same time.
  • travis1409travis1409 Posts: 118
    @edmg I have heard that some people are having trouble getting the Vive controllers to work with Non-native VR games. Are you using them with Skyrim? If so, did you have any trouble getting them to work together?
    If not, what are you using?
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
    Not sure what @edmg uses, but I use either a Steam controller or an Xbox 360 controller (I've made profiles for both - personally I prefer the Steam controller). I'm not sure if you can use the Vive controllers for legacy games.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    edited May 2016
    I was hoping I could hook the Vive controllers into Skyrim, but haven't found a mod for it yet. There are Youtube videos of people using other motion controllers for combat.

I've tried keyboard and mouse and an Xbox controller, but neither is ideal. Still, after sorting out the ENB configuration, I played about six hours of Skyrim last night without feeling sick. The dungeons are really cool in VR because the 3D works well in a closed environment. The wide open spaces outdoors look much flatter, though the thunderstorms were pretty impressive with some weather mods installed.

Since I don't have an Omni yet, I tried playing standing with the Xbox controller for walking, and turning on the spot to turn, but that did feel weird. I wanted to lean over every time I moved forward.
  • Obs545Obs545 Posts: 14
    trying to play Don't Let Go, its 1.3. An I get audio on the headset but still trapped in the freaken oculus main room window with it.