Production Update

ModManModMan Posts: 79
edited August 2016 in Announcements
Hi everyone, yesterday we announced our most recent production update on our blog - see below:

Our supply chain is set up (including a manufacturing partner for our Boom and Rack) and most items on our quality improvement list have been completed. Most notable improvements since our last update include the following:

Improved the fit of the clasps that connect the Omni ring to the arms (to prevent the clasps from loosening with use).
Improved the alignment of the ring door with the rest of the ring by tightening production tolerances.
Changed the spring inside the base towers from a traditional spring to a gas spring (for safety reasons).
Controlled the force required to open the foot levers of the base towers.
Finalized the appearance of the illuminated power button.
Added a lock to the ring door lever that prevents the user from opening the ring door during use (for safety reasons).
Made various improvements to the Boom, including an easier mechanism to attach the HMD cable to the Boom cable retractor.
Made various improvements to the Harness, such as strengthening the connection between the aluminum frame and fabric belt.
We are still finalizing the following items:

Tool modifications of the base and ring molds related to cosmetic deficiencies (texture, sink marks).
Testing of the plastic Pod enclosure and button actuation.
Strengthening of the metal clamp that secures the Omni arms in the two base towers.
Fine-tuning of the desired grade of low-friction plastic of the shoe gliders to optimize performance and durability of the Omni shoes.
Development of test fixtures and procedures for testing of the three PCBs that are part of the Omni system.
Beta testing of the Omni Connect and Omni Online software packages.
Our Pathfinder Omni units continue to perform well in the field. Our mechanical engineer Kurt visited a few of our early customers last week to verify the status of their hardware after months of intensive use. All units performed to our expectations.

Community, we are now very close to mass manufacturing. We thank you for your continued patience and support as we complete the last few tasks on our check-list.

Full update can be seen here: http://www.virtuix.com/production-update-and-the-omni-sdk/

Comments

• GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    Is there any chance I could get just that attachment part for the boom shipped out to me to test out? I've already got the main Boom stand, so I would assume all I'd need to do is have that specific piece shipped in a little envelope, then unclip the current cable retractor from that keyring and replace it with the updated version? That's basically the only part of the Omni that I've been having any difficulties with.
  • Hi Grey. I'm going to send you an email. I'm not completely sure what you're having challenges with.
  • WilfmanWilfman Posts: 18
    Great news guys. The end is in sight. Even though I'm far down the list at ~#8600.
  • Thanks Wilfman! Yours is coming too!
  • Hey Chris please let me know when will I receive mine..?
    Ordered December 2014 ty
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 428
    This next update could be the one---just a feeling...
  • RockyRocky Posts: 4
    so can you post here how many orders have been placed and ALSO how many in last 2 months to see how trend is going? cant wait til deliveries start happening. but at least i havent had to wait since 2014 like kayeriotomatikkapi has had to...lol..

hey chrisatvirtuix or modman, does the VorpX work with you and HTC Vive to incooperate compatibility? I'm kinda noobish, so can a Vive game that allows you to walk around a 12 ft. x 12 ft. room setup be set up in a stationary Omni setup to "fool" system? Last question, will a program like VorpX be needed or do you have something like that to assimilate game actions?
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,032
    Hi @Rocky, vorpX enables legacy games (titles not designed or updated for VR) to be displayed in an HMD, and it is now compatible with the Vive. It is needed for legacy games.

As for room scale games, to move around in them using the Omni, the developer must either have used the Omni's SDK, or they must allow WASD input from a keyboard, or analogue stick input from a gamepad - the Omni can emulate this..
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • BlyzardBlyzard Posts: 3
    Production update, thanks Virtuix for the news!

See here: http://www.virtuix.com/production-update-minecraft-uservideos/
  • KijutsuKijutsu Posts: 85
    Two things if I may:
    1. Make sure, if you can, to try and update your estimates. Shipping per country, cost of said shipping, etc...
    2. Please don't pull an Oculus and screw over Asia!
    So...those 35 Omnis pilot run...they must be going well, right?, right!?, right!!? :p Delivery schedule must be really close to publish. One more day and we're entering Q3---please let the next update be the one.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    I was thinking the same thing @Sponge101
    @xxann5. Great minds think alike.
    edited July 2016
    Never mind--maybe next month... :'( :s
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    YAY! an update. Its basically just confirming what they said last month but at least its all still on track. Very exiting!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game/posts/1618913
    Next month is here!!! ... Actually, one more day, but close enough! Here's the quote we've all been waiting for: "We will provide a more detailed production plan in our next update at the end of this month." This update is the big one guys!
    Get ready--today's the day :)
    ... :|
    edited August 2016
    Well, here's the official (and final) Omni production schedule:

-September: 258 units (5 containers)
    -October: 810 units (15 containers)
    -November (estimate): 1,500 units
    -December (estimate): 2,000 units

Including the pilot-run and Pathfinder Omnis (37, ~50) the grand total Omni to be produce is 4,655; last I heard there's around 5,000 Omni order (not including that gigantic order from the Chinese deal) so we all should pretty much get our Omni by year-end, sooner or later depending on when you ordered.

Would have been great to know where we each stand in the queue though :/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game/posts/1644734
  • AscensiAscensi Posts: 116
    edited August 2016
    So things are delayed again it seems from the original estimation "Our aim is to produce 500 units in July and increase our production to 1,000 units in August and 2,000 units/month by the end of this year." Source: http://www.virtuix.com/production-update-minecraft-uservideos/ I guess it wasn't delayed, perhaps just hopeful thinking but this time at least it's better to have a firm date BUT it would be very much appreciated if we get "shipping details* such as the carrier/shipper with some way to calculate/ get a close to accurate shipping & Duties cost and lastly if you purchased your multiple treadmills at different months/years will the shipping cost have to be paid for all at once and will it be shipped together all at once or separately by each date. I would like to pay for my shipping in advance so there are no delays and also so I don't spend it on other things.
  • Why so few in the beginning? What happened to "Ramping up production" and "500 in July"? Obviously it was never going to happen in July because that was way too good to be true from these guys, but is there a reason beyond forever making the community wait? Why not ACTUALLY "ramp up production" and pump out 500 like they originally said then just keep pumping out more until the kickstarter backers all have their Omni's?
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    Aside from a two month delay, there's not much difference. On that schedule, they'll average 500 a month for the first two months, and hit 2000 a month by month four.
  • @edmg How does 258 equate to 500 a month exactly?
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    (258 + 810) / 2 > 500.
  • One month is 258, that is half of 500 so on the first month they will absolutely not average 500 and on the second month they will absolutely not average 1000. You can't add two months together then call it an average for one month.
  • KijutsuKijutsu Posts: 85
    Seems I was right, getting my Omni by Xmas is what I should expect while US backers get theirs before the rest of us (As long as they are backers and NOT pre-orders I'm OK with that but US pre-orders getting theirs before the rest of us would be very rude.)

http://forum.virtuix.com/discussion/2754/when-do-i-get-my-already-purchased-virtuix-nobody-respond-to-my-email#latest
  • HairboyHairboy Posts: 5
    Will be interested to know if there's any way to ship direct from the manufacturers.... I'm in Australia, so rather than have the Omni do a lap of the world by sea, it would be far quicker to ship directly......
    edited August 2016
    Jan has been answering some of the logistic questions (shipping, delivery, VATS, etc.) and it sounds like they are still trying to figure all that out.

I think it's worth noting that theses numbers are actual contractual production orders and that should give all of us some peace-of-mind as to reliability of delivery. The wait continues, yes, but the uncertainty is becoming clearer at least.
  • Until it's in my house, I will never trust any dates this company gives. It has been constant pushbacks and "ramping up production" for almost 4 years. I apologize for being so negative but I'll be dammed if I'm going to lie about my constant frustration.
    edited August 2016
    The forum is the place to do that. It sounds like I'm joking, but without this forum to air all our frustration I don't think anyone of us would have lasted this long--and we're the die-hard! Imagine the silent majority. Being around others in the same situation makes it more bearable. Group-therapy esque if you will.