It's Official: GTX 1080 and 1070

Can't decide yet which I'm getting so I'm going to wait for a benchmark between the two before deciding. Virtuix never officially listed a recommended GPU--here she is!
3.jpg 29.2K
4.jpg 26.8K

Comments

• gleamingsandsgleamingsands Posts: 256
    edited May 2016
    Lol I feel like my 980TI just got slammed into the ground.

RIP
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    Now the question is if I should wait for the price to drop on the 980Ti and pick up a second one, or if I should resell it/hoard it for building another pc for a friend and get 2 of these with some water cooling. I suppose the real question is how well real life performance is vs in house trials, but if they live up to even a fraction of their hype, it seems like a no-brainer to snap them up at that price point.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 428
    @gleamingsands. You always could sell your 980ti on Ebay or another online site and use the proceeds to cover a big chunk of the cost for upgrading to the 1080 or buying the 1070 outright with some leftover cash; the market price is around ~$400 last I checked.

@GreyAcumen. Wish you luck with whatever you decide.

It's funny: I have a 480 and I've waited so long for this upgrade--I passed the 580, I passed the 680, I passed the 780, and I passed the 980. I knew the fab shrink would bring great fps improvement but this, if true, is very, very impressive. 980sli is from the videos I've seen, faster than the titan x and the 1080 is supposedly faster than two 980s! The problem with this is VR doesn't like SLI very much right now (could change in the future) and so getting a single card is the best option for a VR build imo.

However, the prices are a problem; there's a ~$220 spread between them. The 80's series cards when compared to the 70's series cards drop in price the fastest and with the biggest percentage--look at the 980 which drop ~$200 compared to the 970 which held on the ~$300 for a very long time in the market. ~$300 seems to be the sweet spot. So this is my tentative idea: I'll get a 1070 and use it for some time until the 1080 drops in price like the 980 did and then sell the 1070 and use the proceeds to finance the 1080 buy. Of course I'll see the benchmarks between the two cards before using this approach. If the 1080 is way, way beyond the 1070 then the ~$220 premium might be justified and I'll buy it outright. Anyways, just me rambling.

I have to say this: I can't shake the feeling Oculus intentionally delayed the Rift to accommodate the the 1080 and 1070. My estimated release window is smack-dab in the release dates of these cards. Coincidence? Unlikely... I'm not bitter about it--it's just suspicious when you look at it.

• edmgedmg Posts: 57
    edited May 2016
    Almost makes me wish I'd waited and not bought my 970, because I think I'm going to need one of these to play Skyrim in VorpX with a decent frame rate. But my old GTX660 wouldn't have played any VR games, so I guess I'll just have to muddle through until my Omni arrives, and upgrade then.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,010
    @edmg Don't worry, one of the first things I did after I got my Vive was test it with Skyrim. At first I was getting horrible frame rates, but after some tweaking, it now runs smooth. I'm going to continue experimenting today. By tomorrow I hope to have finished writing a setup guide for Skyrim + Omni + Vive.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    edited May 2016
    @sutekiB I wonder if you could tell me whether VorpX is worth it? I've already experienced moderate growing pains in the seat of my Oculus, definitely some motion sickness there, but I feel I'm slowly getting used to it; from what I hear, non-vr specific directx games are bound to be even worse in that regard, is this true?
    @gleamingsands Yes, vorpX is worth it. How else are you going to play Skyrim in VR? The head tracking is not perfect (yet), but it has a kind of positional tracking, and while the latency is higher than I would want (may leave you feeling dizzy afterwards), I find the compelling nature of open world games too much to resist :)
  • KijutsuKijutsu Posts: 85
    I had a very crappy AMD7770 so when March came around I bought a new card since my Rift was coming on the 28th of March and my video card was FAR from VR ready! Little did I know that I would get a 1080GTX before my freaken Rift!

Thank God I just bought a used 290X for 200$ (20000yen) probably will be able to resell it for about the same price.

WTB: Rift, Video Card, STEM and OMNI. PST :smiley:

Notice the y-axis says "Relative VR Gaming Performance." The Titan X delivers close to, if not the best, experience for VR right now and the 1080 is said to deliver twice that!--I need benchmarks confirmation but I really, really want this to be true. It's the biggest gaming performance leap I've ever seen. Not to mention only at 180 watts.

1.png 635.8K
    @2:33

"What?! What?! I can afford that! I can afford that!"

Words to live by. The fail is exquisite in both it's texture and quality; truly, a moment never to be outperformed in terms of sheer audacity of character.
    "I can afford that! I can afford that," indeed.
    edited May 2016
    @gleamingsands. I've seen many of these event speeches and the audience tends to be bored--and quiet. But on special event like this the organizer invite excited fans/press to liven up the audience. I think she was just one of them. I appreciate her boldness, though. The same happened with the Fallout 4 event.

Found an interesting article comparing the last 5 80's cards going back 5 generations from Nvidia--I think there's a way to estimate how powerful the 1080 (fps it will get) by doing some math comparing these released cards and using the info that was released during the speech. Warning: I could be way off. For me, I own the 480 and when compared to the 980 the benchmarks show a ~2.5x increase in FPS. For example, in Crysis 3 at 1080p the 480 got 27fps and the 980 got 66fps--that's around 2.5x the performance. Now, remember that the speaker said the 1080 will be more powerful than 980sli so in the 480's case the increase in performance is >5x. But he didn't go so far as to say 980sli with 3 cards (that would be ~7.5x the performance increase) so let's be conservative and say it's .5. This would mean that the 1080 when compared to the 480, there would be ~5.5x performance increase--that's 148fps vs. the original 27! . Again, this is just an estimate as I'm just having some fun with the numbers, but it does paint a picture of the increase in performance we're expected to get. So, find your card (if you're on the green team that is...) and crunch the numbers if you want.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/12/then-and-now-five-generations-of-geforce-graphics-compared/

3.png 61.5K
    @gleamingsands - I fail to see the failure, I basically said the exact same thing when I saw the price.
    edited May 2016
    It's still the ultimate in cringe. Of course that's what we all said, but its still funny. Laugh already. :D
    I will give you that. The voice carried so perfectly I halfway suspected it of being rehearsed/planted.
    Well... I'm somewhat disappointed. According to this benchmark the performance of the 1080 over 980ti is nowhere the 50% rumored--it's more like single percentage. As far as more powerful than two 980s, according to these tests, is sometimes true and false; it depends on the game. However, when compared to the single 980 the performance gain is huge. The key factor here is the price, MSRP: 600. I'm going to get the 1070 and see how the 1080ti benchmark in the future before even considering the 1080.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review/1100-6439863/
    Maybe I decided too hastily and should wait a few days or weeks for driver optimization.
    Okay, the floodgate (NDA) is open and reviews and benchmarks are coming in from all over the place. I'm busy looking over the ones from the major sites. So far I'm liking the analysis from Digital Foundry the best.

edited May 2016
    It's one thing to see figures and charts--It's entirely different to see it in action:
  • @Sponge101 Awesome! Thanks for sharing this.
    edited May 2016
    @KellCam_Virtuix. Sure! it was a labor of love :)

This guy went crazy and did a 21 games benchmark:
    @Sponge101 - that was a great review. I am distinctly glad that I went for the 980Ti while building my rig, but where I was originally planning to upgrade to 980Ti SLI, now I'll obviously be shifting to 1080 once they bring out a water cooled model. At the very least the efficiency improvements over the 980Ti are just too good to ignore.
  • These cards are way too tempting. Must... resist...
    Don't resist! I played a demo of an upcoming game recently and it was absolutely gorgeous, but it was not performing as well as I'd like on my 970. Sure, the final game might be better optimized, but frame rates and indeed, visuals overall are so important in VR. I think I'll be splashing out on a 1080! People who bought a 970 machine shouldn't be upset though - I've been playing a lot of Skyrim with the Omni and that card, and I've been having a great time. In a few days I hope to upload a video tutorial of how to get it set up correctly.
    edited May 2016
    @sutekiB. Really looking forward to that vid :) . I decided that I'll be getting the 1080 as well and here is the main reasons why. I'm upgrading from such an old card and since the 970 is the VR minimum, I will have to spend at least the market price of the 970 (which for a used is around ~$250 right now). Since the price of the 1080 is around $600, the question I have to ask myself then is: "Is the 1080 worth that $350 premium over the 970 that I have to pay?" Of course the answer, based on all the benchmarks I'm seeing, is a big YES! Now for people with much more powerful cards than I do are going to have a tougher time justifying an upgrade to the 1080 because the gains might not be enough for them (unless they sell the old card to finance the 1080). For me and you, however, the upgrade is extremely justifiable--not to mention we're VR enthusiasts and need as many fps as possible to make games look pretty and smooth.
  • WilfmanWilfman Posts: 18
    @sutekiB A full series on how to setup all games that you have experimented with would be great, for when we all get our omnis :-) . Thanks for all of your videos so far. Keep up the great work.
    edited May 2016
    @Wilfman - When you get an omni, you also get access to the Dropox that contains the files for TRAVR and other support software for the Omni. @SutekiB already has many documents with setup instructions on there already, though I haven't applied them to my own gaming just yet.
  • WilfmanWilfman Posts: 18
    Excellent news @GreyAcumen . Thanks for that. Just waiting for my Rift to come through the door. Its TODAY!! @sutekiB works really hard then. Much appreciation for all you pathfinders.
    This review is different: it gets super technical and covers the 1080 in greater depth. Great analysis--although some of it went over my head.
    Okay, today is the official release of the 1080 and, of course, supply is limited. http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/. However, for those who have decided (like me) to get the 1080 there is another version of the 1080 that you should be made aware of: the closed-looped water-cooled variant--here are two that I found so far:

Keep in mind they sell for a high premium over the regular variant but they also perform great in hot environment--especially during summer time.

It just so happens these two brands did battle during the 980 ti generation as well:

I have the EVGA GTX980Ti with the closed loop cooling system, and I've had no issues with it to date. Heck, I got it for the possibility of overclocking and still haven't run into a situation where I've needed to even dip into that aspect.