It's Official: GTX 1080 and 1070

2»

Comments

• Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 430
    I'm leaning towards the EVGA version as well but I'll wait for some reviews.

Here's another polished comparison vid:

Chose the Seahawk--I regret nothing! Amazing performance o:)
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    edited August 2016
    Good choice. I am a big fan of EVGA. I currently have the 980Ti Classified. Love it. I will likely get the same when the 1080Ti comes out.
  • That is one nice GPU!
    edited August 2016
    @xxann5. Coming from the 900 series don't expect to overclock as well as you did jumping to the 1000 series. Nvidia placed a whole bunch of restrictions on oc so most GPU can't past 2.1 GHz; unless you get lucky and win the silicon lottery. Maybe with the Ti they will be more open, though. EVGA is rock-solid, as always.

The 1080 is around 25% faster than the 980ti and the Titan Pascal is around 20-ish faster than the 1080 and since the Ti tend to offer around titan performance you can reasonably expect a 50% performance increase. Not bad--every bit helps for VR (as I'm learning). Going from the 480 to the 1080 I saw ~5X performance increase; I'm not going to wait that long in the future and I'll upgrade when the next gpu reaches ~2.5x performance compared to the 1080.

@KellCam_Virtuix. I know, right? Compared to the hybrid the seahawk is more low-profile, more stealth-like if you will. Plus it has the word "seahawk" in the name and the helicopter on the cover are nice cosmetic bonuses imo. Most important, though, is performance: 2.1 GHz OC; ~60 degree full-load in California summer heat; and dead-silent. I'm never going back to blower-style again.

@KellCam_Virtuix. Has Virtuix decided on what's the minimum recommended PC spec (especially the gpu) for the Omni? I'm guessing it's similar to Oculus' and Vive's recommended spec but a confirmation would be nice going into the launch.
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    edited August 2016
    @Sponge101 - Why would there even be minimum PC specs for the omni? Theoretically, you could use the Omni with non-VR games. (it would be weird and limited, but it could be done) The Steam controller doesn't have minimum PC specs, and the Omni is really just gamepad supplement.
    There's also the fact that the Omni is also compatible with Samsung Gear VR, so it's not like you'd even need a PC at all to meet the minimum specs.

Heck, even the various Rift and Vive and other VR options don't REALLY have minimum specs of their own, it's just that the games that you run on them can no longer run at THEIR minimum specs. It's more like adding a 3rd option to all games: Minimum, Recommended, and VR recommended.
    @GreyAcumen. I was thinking about Virtuix-developed games when I wrote that. I'm also hoping the games will have graphics fidelity/scaling options as well; in those cases recommended/minimum specs would be useful. Then again, hearing their general recommendation is fun for the hell of it--I'm one of those guys who reads the steam game spec for the fun of it.

I also thought about how different the experience will be for the player using the Omni in a game averaging 30fps vs. 60fps vs. 90fps. Will it feel too slow and sluggish. Actually, your a Pathfinder, how's the experience been for you in terms of fps and latency?
2»