Building a full set

rottzrottz Posts: 11
Hey guys.

I have pre-ordered the Omni already, and I dont live in the US, so I will ship it to the address of a friend who lives there, and then when it arrives I will go to the US to bring it back.

My question is, since I dont live in the US, I wont have much time (and a place) to tweak, test, and buy what's missing while in the US, so I need to buy everything beforehand, preferably online (newegg or amazon). The problem is that from my research I found the whole setup a bit complex, so I want some input from people who already have the whole setup built, or have researched and know much more than me.

Assume I dont have anything, so I think I will need:

1) Omni + extras such as shoes and waist thing. This I bought already, and I dont think Im missing anything here, but feel free to suggest/ask things.

2) The VR thing. On this from what I learned there are mainly 2 options: Oculus or HTC/Vive. Also from what I learned, the Vive is more geared towards people who DONT have the Omni, since it detects movement and kinda replaces the movement part of the Omni (differently, of course). So I was thinking about buying the Oculus. But I see on this forum many people saying they have the Vive, so Im kinda confused on this.

3) A good computer. I currently have a good MBP, but I plan to build a desktop PC for the VR build. Am I doing right? How good should this PC be? And what part should I focus on this PC - the video? Or CPU?

4) Controller? Which ones are recommended, or most used?

5) Driver?? I accidentally read something on a post here about a vorpX driver. Do I need to buy it? Why?? Ok, this one since it's a driver (software), I could buy after I return from the US, but still I want to understand well the whole setup.

6) Anything else??

Thanks in advance for the info!

Comments

• rottzrottz Posts: 11
    Hey xxann5!

Thanks a ton for your answer and detailed info!!

I have just purchased the Vive according to your info. I won't wait until next year for the VR headset so that decision was pretty easy :)

Thanks for the link of your build. I will certainly check it again when I'm about to buy the PC.

When you say the Vive has a tracked controller, what does it track exactly?

Thanks again

• xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    It tracks there exact position in space just like the headset. There like what Nintendo wanted the Wii controller to be.
  • @rottz Excellent choice. Love the Vive!
  • THET1KTHET1K Posts: 17
    Great choice. The Vive's controllers also support full 360 degree 6DOF movement, while it is not yet clear (from what I have read thus far) that the Oculus will support full 360 degree movement with its controllers. This could cause problems for things like decoupled weapon aiming with the Omni. I know they were recently encouraging developers to limit tracked motion to 180 degrees.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    Good point @THET1K i forgot to mention that.
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    edited May 2016
    @rottz - Where DO you live that isn't in the US, but that you can pick up the Omni FROM the US? The Omni comes in a full sized pallet that is about 32" tall, almost 300lbs, and awkward to move, so you're going to need at least a pickup truck and probably 2 other guys to help lift it into the truck. I'm pretty sure Virtuix can ship internationally, so you really might want to just look into getting them to ship it directly to you. When you factor in gas, time to drive down, and possibly even the truck rental itself, it might actually be more cost effective to pay extra to just get it delivered directly to you.

1) The shoes and harness are essential. If you use US sizes, then you may want to figure at half a size UNDER what you normally wear. I'm normally a US mens 10.5, but I got the Omni 10s and they fit very comfortably, possibly even a little loose. The harnesses also have a little more leeway then what they are listed as (I'm a 38" waist, but wearing gym shorts leaves the medium harness fitting comfortably) The Omni Boom is definitely a good buy if you don't want to run a hook in your ceiling. And the Omni platform is good if you don't have a shelf you can put near the Omni/put the Omni near. (I don't use this one, but it does look like it works pretty well)

2) I recommend holding off on deciding which VR Headset to use until at least after Virtuix announces that it's ready to ship actual production models. It's likely to be a full year before they work through their current batch of kickstarters and preorders. Currently the Oculus Rift only has the single camera for tracking, and they haven't released their motion controllers yet. HTC Vive has proprietary hand controllers already included in their package, and use two different sensors to detect both the headset position as well as the controller positions. Vive's primary focus is on roomscale, which has you walking around physically in order to walk around in VR, but that OPTIONAL,(and also has inherent limitations to the type of games that can work with roomscale) and it doesn't mean that Oculus is necessarily better for use with the Omni.
    Right now, we can only know rumors about how the Oculus motion controllers compare to the Vive's. As @THET1K mentioned, the Vive's controllers MIGHT have better spacial tracking than what the Oculus will use, but none of that is confirmed. Likewise, I have heard rumors that the Oculus motion controllers will have some sort of finger gesture tracking, though again I'm not sure what that would enable players to do, nor if there is any validity to the rumors.
    More than the hardware side of things, you may want to look at store support. Oculus is currently being rather proprietary about their online store. They have very little structure in place for friend interaction or game/experience rating, and their store keeps popping up every time you run a VR program, even if it's a 3rd party app like Virtuix's TRAVR games for the Omni. HTC Vive is supported by Steam, which is pretty huge in terms of the various kinds of support it offers. Games are easier to find, have more opportunities for you to rate your personal experience and see other user reviews, and your friend list is easier to manage and make contacts for multiplayer games in the future. There is apparently mod out that allow Vive users to emulate the Oculus in order to play Oculus exclusive games, as well as ones that lets Oculus users to emulate the Vive (at least the headset, for now) but Oculus's official stance on this was that they would not support those mods. It's hard to tell whether this will make it better or worse to get the Oculus/Vive in the long run.
    Personally, I'm currently using the Oculus DK2, along with a steam controller. I'm part of the Pathfinder program, which is the only reason I already have an early Omni model. Once Oculus releases its motion controller kit, I'll check what their storefront looks like and decide whether I'll upgrade to the CV1/CV2 model for Oculus, or if I'm going to switch over to the HTC Vive. Since it's still likely to be some time before the consumer models for the Omni are ready, you'd do best to wait at LEAST until Virtuix announces a firm release schedule.

3) The official minimum VR specs are listed as: GTX970, intel i5 4590 (probably haswell or skylake), 8GB ram, 2x3.0 USB ports, and Windows 8.1/10 (technically, windows 7 is supported) It is already apparent that Windows 8 introduces an upgraded video rendering method that can reduce latency. Virtual Desktop is a wonderful VR app that allows you to view and play 360 3D photos and videos, and see your desktop even while your headset is on (making navigation much easier) and it requires Windows 8 or above. I'm currently running on a GTX 980Ti and I've never experienced poor framerate due to rendering issues, but with the release of the GTX 1080, it's almost a no-brainer to go for that card once it's available. The power consumption alone is prompting me to upgrade, but because of that, older cards are likely to see some hefty price drops so if you shop around, a 980Ti could wind up being fairly cost effective.

4) Eventually, both the Vive and the Oculus will have proprietary controllers that will likely be the best option for VR games. The Oculus currently ships with an XB1 controller, which really isn't much different than a 360 controller. I personally use a Steam controller, but that requires a lot of fiddling around to get working with Oculus games. I also use a PS3 controller that is emulating a 360 controller, but that takes some work. If you're a Playstation fan rather than an Xbox fan, you might want to pick up a PS4 controller, which has software and drivers officially supported that let it emulate a 360 controller much more easily than a PS3 controller. The steam controller is probably the best option if you intend to use Vive and Steam. You may want to look into the LeapMotion controller, which is a camera that can be mounted on the front of your VR headset in order to allow hand tracking. It's still in development, the hand tracking isn't perfect, and very few games support it that aren't specifically designed with it in mind, but for $80, it has a lot of potential.

5) VorpX is only needed if you want to use the Omni with games that don't run in VR natively. I haven't had a chance to try it out properly, so @sutekiB is going to know the most about it, and in particular how it works in combination with the Omni. He's written most of the guides on setting up legacy games for use with the Omni. You can check out his youtube channel, Explore VR, to see some of the legacy games he's gotten running and a bit of how he did it.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    Yes, good choice @rottz, I'm having no regrets with my Vive. @GreyAcumen's post is very thorough and on-point. I have a substantial YouTube guide in the works right now, that will focus on getting Skyrim to perform well in VR. The written version is already available in the Pathfinder folder. Stay tuned!
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    Thanks for the awesome input! I forgot to check for a few days for more replies and now there are many new posts, awesome!

@GreyAcumen - regarding the shipping size, I created another topic a month ago asking if the Omni could be disassembled into smaller and lighter parts and some people confirmed to me that it can, so I was confident I could easily ship it as luggage on the airplane. Please let me know if you think that it doesnt, or if my plan is flawed. Check the post here: http://forum.virtuix.com/discussion/2738/disassembling-omni-for-shipping-transport

Now regarding the 5 points:

1) Thanks for the sizing info. I got already 2 different shoes and 2 different wait sizes, so I hope Im covered in one of them. I thought about buying the Boom but since I will have shipping constraints I thought it would be better if I didnt purchase it yet, but I might regret not having bought it.

2) Lots of info here! First, I have bought the Vive already (arrives tomorrow or Tuesday) so I cant wait until the Omni gets shipped to decide about it. Regarding the Omni shipping, do you really think it will take a full year? Any news or forum post that points to this? They claim on their website that they will ship new purchases on Q3 (2016!), and when I bought I was thinking that statement was true, I will be very pissed if it indeed takes a full year to ship.

3) I was thinking about getting a GeForce 980, but will more likely buy the new 1080 when it gets stocked properly on most stores.

4) The Steam controller you mentioned doesnt come with the Vive? Is it different (and better?) from the one that comes with Vive?

5) and @sutekiB , awesome, I certainly plan to play legacy games as there arent many (good) games yet for VR from what I see. And I will certainly replay Skyrim on VR, so Im looking forward for your guide! Where is that written guide you mentioned? What/where is the Pathfinder folder? I will check your channel that was linked by @GreyAcumen .

Thanks a lot for all the info!! Awesome stuff!
    I cant seem to find out how to edit a post, so here goes a follow-up correction: regarding the controller (item #4), I did a little research and now I fully understand the difference between the controllers that come with the Vive (directional Wii style) and the Steam Controller (which is a regular gamepad).
    edited May 2016
    @Rottz - the heaviest pieces are the two arm support locks. I never actually weighed them, but I'd estimate them at roughly 50lbs(25 kilos) for each one. However when it comes to shipping, your big issue is going to be the actual low-friction base, which is basically a 3-4 foot (1.2ish meters) diameter, 4-6 inch(13cm) thick, octagonal base that is all a single molded piece.(not counting protective padding to keep it from getting damaged) Even for checked baggage on a plane, you're talking around 5 regular checked pieces of luggage, plus the base which will probably be a specialty extra fee baggage. You could be paying close to $200-$300, maybe even more depending on what airline you're using and how stingy they are being, and that's assuming that you have no other luggage with you. Then there's the price of the round trip ticket, the fact that you'll absolutely need some help to get those massive packages to and through the airport (and back out at the end) and the risk you're taking of luggage getting lost or stolen during the flight (the amount of risk varies by area, but I had brought my Wii on a flight, and had it stolen out of my bag after it had already been checked in)
    Unless Virtuix specifically has your country listed as a "no shipping" zone, it's almost guaranteed to be cheaper and safer to have them deliver it directly to you, or at least to somewhere in your country, or hell, even a neighboring country that you can drive to, so you can pick it up and personally convey it back to your home the entire way.

1) Like I said, unless you can put a hook in your ceiling, you'll want to have the boom. You really do need to have the wires of the Vive running above your head so they wont tangle around your body when you turn. As far as shipping goes, if you're still dead set on trying to get the package through your checked baggage, then the boom could easily be broken down and fit in the same package that will have the low-friction base. Depending on what limits are on the shipping range that the base needs, you may wind up with extra weight allowances that will make it more efficient to include even more pieces with the low-friction base.

2) Congrats on the Vive. I'm surprised you managed to get it shipped out to you so soon. I had heard that the waiting list on them was closer to a month or more between placing your order and actually getting it shipped out to you. As far as Virtuix goes, Q3 shipping is a pretty firm possibility, but I could see it getting pushed back to Q4 if something important came up, but that's referring to their initial consumer shipment date. When I said that it might be a year or more, I'm referring specifically to YOUR Omni. People have been lining up for an Omni for 3+ years now, and while some people have dropped out or canceled their orders, and some pathfinders (maybe some devs) have gotten a few early Omni Models already, there's still a huge queue of preorders and kickstarter backers to work through before they'll have a chance to get to yours. Plus due to how bulk shipping works, they'll likely hit geographical areas as clusters, rather than it purely being a "first come first serve" situation.
    Really, I don't think you should worry about the time for the Omni that much. The Omni is good, but there are few games that support it natively just yet, and there are really a bunch of good roomscale/seated VR games that will help you get used to the VR tech and resolve those issues that are specific to the Vive, before you throw the Omni into the mix.

3) Do you already have a VR capable PC system? It'll be a shame to have the Vive and not have a PC that can run it. The 1080 will be in high demand for the next several months, but if you've got the patience then that's probably a good plan.

4) I would hardly call the steam controller a regular gamepad. It also has motion controls, and can be customized to simulate keyboard and mouse in all sorts of different configurations, I love aiming in FPS using the motion, and driving games would probably also be great. If you've got the Vive, then your major gaming experience is going to be through Steam, so having a steam controller would probably be a good idea if you're planning on doing any gaming that isn't VR specific. If you're planning to just do VR, then stick with the Vive controllers.

5) The pathfinder folder is a dropbox folder that will be completely useless to you without having the Omni to set it up with. By the time you get your Omni, there will probably be dedicated downloads on the main Virtuix site, so there's really no need to worry about any of that now. For really good VR experiences, I suggest checking out Windlands ($20) AltVR (free - more of a VR chatroom, but with games you can play and movies or other things you can do within the different rooms) The Lab (Free) Portal Stories: VR (Free), and you should also check if your Vive includes codes for Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption, and Tilt Brush, and also make sure to check out the Budget Cuts Demo (really just about any Free VR demo) and also make sure to grab VR Desktop ($15 incredibly useful for being able to navigate your desktop while still wearing your VR headset)
    It's a good idea to have some proper custom VR experiences before you try doing the Legacy games or the Omni, so that if any problems pop up, you know where they stem from.
    edited May 2016
    @GreyAcumen the limit of shipping size is around 1.60m if I recall correctly, so I might be able to pack it with enough protection under the limit. I will probably take someone with me to bring everything to make it easier.

Shipping to my country has several disadvantages: it's very expensive, the package can get "lost" or held up on customs/border police/mail quite easily, I will pay a load of money in taxes (while bringing with me I will almost certainly pay no taxes), and I will certainly have a very low priority on the shipping queue (shipping inside US will certainly be the top and less risky priority for the company). And a trip to the US is always pleasant :smile: .

1) Regarding the boom, you almost convinced me, but I think I will settle for the hook on the ceiling. It will be easy to setup and I can customize the path a bit more (maybe make a longer path so I can hide the wires behind a furniture or something else).

2) Regarding the Vive, I bought it a couple weeks ago and it was expected to ship in June, but it ended up shipping earlier. It has just arrived today, but in the US, so I have to go pick it up now, but I will wait for the GTX 1080 (which brings us to the next topic...).

3) No, I have to build one. The last gaming PC I built was for Diablo 3, around 4 years ago or so, so it's pretty old. I will build a new one, and as suggested by @xxann5 I was planning to get a GTX 1080/1070 but from what I searched they seem totally out of stock, and I cant find any info on when will they be available. You mentioned they will be in high demand for the next several months, which I agree since they're new, but they should be restocked soon right? Or do you think it will take months to get properly stocked? If it will take a long time for me to be able to buy it I might just settle for a 980Ti (which is a shame since it's the same price as the 1080).

4) I bought a couple Steam Controllers also, they should arrive on the next few days. I will probably use them not only for VR but for any gaming on the new PC, they seem pretty nice.

5) Thanks for the apps/games suggestions. I will certainly buy some when I get my set built (except for the Omni which should take a while :cry: ) .

Thanks a lot again for all the rich info you provided!!

Best
    edited June 2016
    ( EDIT: Nevermind!! Out of stock again (or was a temporary glitch on newegg). )

@GreyAcumen @xxann5 @sutekiB calling the pros real quick: this GTX 1080 seems to be stocked right now in newegg (I dont know if I didnt notice yesterday, or if it got stocked today): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127940

How do I know if it's good? For me all boards of the same category seem equal... See: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+1080&N=100007709 601201888&isNodeId=1

If any of you are online please leave your thoughts as I dont know if they stay stocked for long :smile:

I will research meanwhile.

Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind!! Out of stock again (or was a temporary glitch on newegg).
    edited June 2016
    @rottz - okay, if the delivery in your country is that unreliable, then you're right to go the direction you are. You're expectation that USA will get priority on shipping is probably right too. When I got my wii stolen, it was when I was coming BACK to the states, so the risk should be low with getting your packages FROM the US to wherever you live.
    Also, I'm glad to hear you like visiting the US.

3) You might be able to make do with a simple upgrade, but I like the features offered on the newer motherboards. I believe I had decided to go with Windows 8 Pro, and then upgrade to 10 from there, but you might want to go straight with 10. Don't forget to factor in manufacturer's warranty for the parts you buy. I ended up paying about 10% more, but all my parts have around a 5-10 year warranty over the 2-3 years that I would have gotten at the lower prices. I did most of my comparison shopping through newegg.com.

4) They are. Battery life is great for wireless (and if you plug the controller in for wired play, you don't need batteries) customization is great, comfort is great. The only problem so far is that you still typically need to start steam in Big Picture mode to be able to set up your controls easily, but that could change with a steam update. Even then, once the controller has been set up for a game, you don't have to run it in big picture mode, you just need to make sure the steam overlay is running. Eventually, they probably wont be useful at all for VR though.

5) Search your email (the one your ordered the Vive with) for "[email protected]" which should have information about if you get the 3 games I mentioned for free, or check out your HTC account for information about linking your HTC account with your Steam Account, then keep an eye on the upcoming steam summer sale.(should be in the next week or two) I'm willing to bet that with VR being the big hot topic right now, there is going to be at least one day that focuses some solid sales on at least some of them (the ones that aren't free already) I could be wrong, but it's worth keeping an eye out for, and might be worth paying for even before you get your system built. Windlands and Virtual Desktop are VR staples, so any type of sale on them is worthwhile.
    Nevermind about my earlier post, it's either out of stock again, or was a temporary glitch on newegg :smile:

I dont see a big point on extended warranty since in 3 years or so all or most parts (including the VR) should be obsolete, so I think I'll skip that, thanks for the reminder tho.

Well maybe for racing games and similar stuff on VR the controller could be used, but I agree it will be mostly for old flat games.

Yeah I got some free VR software when I purchased the Vive, and activated already on Steam, I just dont remember exactly what it was. Excellent reminder on the summer sale, thanks, I will definitely keep an eye for VR stuff - even if before I get my hands on the Vive, which will likely be after the summer sale it seems.

Thanks again, best.