As One- Cinematic VR game for Omni and Leap Motion

Hello Omni users!

This is my first post to this forum. I've been keeping an eye on Virtuix and the Omni since Kickstarter, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the platform becomes widely available.

I got into VR development because I'm interested in creating highly active, physical experiences. I like the idea of using the Omni to replace the traditional morning jog. So, as I started building my first game, I was imagining an interesting scenario that could involve a lot of running while still having some form of story.

As One is a 10-15 minute experience where you must run back and forth through a badly damaged spacecraft, repairing systems and trying to keep it together until rescue arrives. It uses the Leap Motion for hand tracking, so the player can touch the computer panels on the ship. One Vive controller is used as well, for a flashlight as well as movement controls. If using the omni, no controller would actually be needed besides the Leap Motion.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more Omnis shipping, but if anyone is interested, As One is completely free. All you need is a Vive and Leap Motion. Oculus will be supported as well, when they start shipping their motion controllers.

I have submitted it through Steam's Greenlight system, but you can PM me for a direct download if you're interested.https://youtube.com/watch?v=3DYFKLQhTtM

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
    Hi @fundygames, welcome to the forum! Your game looks awesome! Brilliant idea to make you captain and engineer, requiring you to run back and forth. One request though, could it be possible to have an option to turn off the camera shake?
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • Thank you for the feedback! You're right, I probably should include a way to turn off the camera shakes. I don't get motion sickness at all, but I understand that this game could probably make some people green.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
    You are in a very lucky minority to get no motion sickness at all - congratulations! Haha. Yes, controlled linear movement is not so bad (jumping, falling, on-rails etc.) but when the camera moves back and forth unexpectedly, that can be very nausea-inducing. It happens early on in Skyrim when the dragon is attacking the fort. When it does I immediately switch to VorpX's edge-peek mode. For explosions I'd recommend getting the idea across through other means - debris falling (I see it has that) particle effects (dust falling from the ceiling), sound of course, and lighting (maybe the lights dim briefly).

I love the idea of being able to play this with just the Omni, a headset and Leap motion though. Haven't invested in a Leap yet, but I'd be excited to try this sometime!
    Community Manager at Virtuix