Profit drops with Vive, Rifts & Omnis -Arcades

I posted this under the HTC Vive thread but I think this deserves more attention. There is porous foam cushion around the Rift and Vive. We have to think of the Omni and Head gear like gym equipment -certain areas need to be wiped down. People will get discouraged to use the equipment if the foam lining around the Vive mask isn't able to be cleaned.

Omni Team please contact the HTC CEOs about creating a special non porous foam liner or maybe the Omni Team can produce their own third party solution. There will be people with skin conditions, maybe "special odors" that want to use the equipment whether they are visible or not and other people that know this -in a manner of speaking wont want to wear the same clothes.

I typically envision the good and bad when pursuing a goal and this issue still remains unresolved.

Comments

• Better to just create a custom liner on their own man, but really just some disinfectant would work.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    I use a cover that goes over the Vive's foam lining - this can be wiped down in-between uses.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • AscensiAscensi Posts: 116
    @sutekiB I thought of painting it with fabric acrylic but the surface may not turn out smooth. I've also thought of some kind of material covering it but results may not look pro or feel nice. Do you have any pictures you could share for your solution? This would be for an arcade @gleamingsands not for private use otherwise I would have made my own solution.
  • CidpliskitCidpliskit Posts: 18
    https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-pre-vr-cover/
    Check this out I just got mine and love them
  • CidpliskitCidpliskit Posts: 18
    sorry wrong link but this is the one I ordered.
    https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-foam-replacement-6mm/
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    edited July 2016
    Thanks @sutekiB t and @Cidpliskit !! I think Virtuix should/could make business suggestions like this that help make successful business and help Virtuix and associated VR businesses grow -maybe a thread and in the Future -"Virtuix Omni growing your business" newsletter -tips and strategies -simple things that can make a difference.
  • WONDERFUL! @Cidpliskit Thank you so much man, this is excellent.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    O thats awesome, thanks @Cidpliskit I will have to pick up a pair.
  • I can vouch for those VRCover foam replacements. They are awesome, and they shipped out to me within a week.

I was having some issues with blurriness because I require the lenses to be very close to my eyes.. so close that my eyelashes almost touch. These are just enough cushion to provide optimal FOV and clarity, and they are also much more comfortable on my face. Plus, they make the Vive look kickass.. like it's wearing a leather jacket.

Highly recommended.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
  • Just note that they have two versions of the covers now, 6mm and 18mm. I needed my eyes closer to the lenses so went with the 6mm ones. These increased the 'sweet spot' on the lenses for me so that my peripheral is not so blurry now.. as well as increased clarity looking straight ahead.
    Update: in a response I received from HTC, they are making their own implementation for Active VR . I did make a purchase for the VR covers as well -they look awesome!
  • I have purchased 2 different types of covers from VR covers and they fit easily and can be wiped and kept clean with no absorbed liquids.
    I definitely recommend these for commercial use.
    I have been trailing the HTC VIVE at my trampoline park in preparation for the Omni and I have also asked customers to simply roll a single sheet of blue kitchen paper to go above their eye brow as this also helps prevent any perspiration sharing and we have had absolutely no complaints about that.

Can't wait for the Omni to arrive but still waiting to be given a date.

Once it does arrive I really feel that VR tech will boom
    Just an update.. I've talked with the Vive team and made the suggestion about this issue before I knew about the products above. They've informed me that they are working on a "Sport VR" type suitable for active VR.