Recruiting Developers for native 3rd party Omni support.

There are a few games that already have added support for VR that would also benefit greatly from Omni Move integration. More to the point, Omni would benefit from having a few extra titles that NATIVELY support the Omni Move's decoupled movement (without needing 3 extra programs just to be able to use it) Is there anything currently being done to try to get communication going with these developers to get them onboard early?

This isn't just a matter of me being impatient to try out more titles with the Omni. How a company supports its product, and how OTHER people support that product early on can create a snowball effect that establishes how an entire genre is perceived. Xbox 360 came out a year before Nintendo or Sony released their consoles, and as a result, developers were starting games on 360, and then making passable ports for PS3 (practically none of which took advantage of the built in motion controls) and horrible ports for the Wii. The Wii motion controls might have even become a new standard if 3rd party developers had developed games from the ground up specifically for motion controls, instead of just mapping different motions to a joystick or button. It's this type of mindset that made Nintendo's Wii titles great, but 3rd party Wii titles were generally horrible. The lack of 3rd party support was directly responsible for the perceived "gimmick" nature of the motion controls, and that general perception is likely why Nintendo practically dropped Motion control support entirely on the Wii U (Twilight Princess HD WITHOUT Motion controls?! Screw that crap) in favor of that stupid clunky touchscreen gamepad.

As it stands, the way steam VR is doing things with room scale, it calls for developers to create "games" (Most of it so far is an experience/novelty rather than a game) that specifically exist within a limited space. Omni's ability to supplement these types of games will be minimal at best, and if the trend continues developers may not even be trying to make those games that would benefit best from the omni. TRAVR is an excellent demo, but it, along with the handful of legacy titles that require 2 to 3 pieces of additional software(VorpX=$40, Xpadder for W10= $8) to run, just aren't going to justify Omni Move's current price point along with the amount of space lost when you set up hardware itself.

There's already a list of titles on Steam that are VR enabled, or are experimenting with adding Oculus rift/Vive support. Pretty much any of the ones that have you move around with a joystick are prime targets to make officially part of Omni move's lineup, and in many cases it seems like it would be such a mutually beneficial arrangement that all that should really need to be done is offer a free SDK, point some of us early Omni adopters their way to provide beta testing feedback, and agree that both of you will put a blurb about their game supporting Omni move on each of your webpages once it's ready.

To get the ball rolling, I'm starting out with a few titles that have caught my attention for combo potential. Sorted by how much benefit to each specific game I feel the Omni's inclusion would be versus the amount of work required to add all the actions needed:

Kairo - Possibly the primest of prime of candidates, Kairo is a game that has all of 3 actions, looking, moving, and jumping. Don't be fooled, it's not a narrated walking simulator like Dear Esther is. It's a legit puzzle game (I've yet to explore just how great the puzzles are, but I'm getting there) and it already supports the Oculus Rift natively(beta opt in) but it uses keyboard or gamepad to handle movement and jumping, which result in mild sim-sickness when you use them with it. With the inclusion of the Omni (assuming Omni implements that Jumping support they've mentioned) there's absolutely no other controller needed except for navigating the options menu (even that could be handled by vision tracking and foot swipes) and the Omni should be able to completely negate the mild sim-sickness at the same time.

Mind: Path to Thalamus - possibly a halfway point between Kairo and Dear Esther, the graphics are more natural and a narrative is included that lends a more detailed storyline to the game. There are some reasonably well thought out puzzles, and all of it is generally handled through the same controls as Kairo, but also with a single interact button. With Omni support, the only thing a gamepad would be needed for would be picking up objects, and that could be handled by anything from a 360 to a vive controller, or even just a simple wireless mouse that could be held in the hand. Sim-sickness is a bit more prominent in this game, so the Omni might not negate everything, but even taking the edge off would be a welcome relief.

Windlands - If you have VR,(or even if you don't) and haven't tried out Windlands, or at least its Demo then stop what you're doing and get it. For VR, the sim-sickness is surprisingly mild, probably due to the slow acceleration/deceleration.(which using the omni could make unnecessary) Where Kairo and Mind:PtT are both primarily walk-sim-puzzle games, Windlands is a full-out platformer. Most of your time isn't actually spent walking, but jumping out, and swinging around, over dizzying heights, so the walking mechanic only does so much for this type of game, however leaning forward, back, and side to side SHOULD still be able to influence how you move while swinging. This is mostly on Virtuix to make sure that this type of contextual control can be included for developers that are willing to implement it. The omni needs to be for more than just controlling simulated walking/running, but developers wont include this type of functionality without Virtuix actively pursuing and pushing this type of feature to be included in games. This will ultimately make or break whether Omni-move will be perceived as a legitimate VR immersion supplement.

Anything Source or Gold Source - Valve is already implementing VR support (still kinda shaky right now, not sure if they've bothered updating to 0.8SDK) in most of their source games, they already have to know that their own best titles(HL, HL2, L4D, Portal, TF2) can't possibly work from a room-scale implementation, despite apparently already throwing in with Vive and roomscale in general. Sim-sickness was a huge thing when I remember last being able to get VR working on Valves titles. The important part to remember with this is that most of valves games involve more than just walking, HL2 requires running, swimming, and driving. While it COULD be acceptable to simply turn over control entirely back to the gamepad in these instances, I would far rather see actual swimming motions implemented while in water(with aim used to determine direction of swimming), and to use the pods directly as foot pedals while driving(left foot out = brake, right foot out = drive, both = reverse)

SNOW - A surprisingly fun skiing game that comes across like an open world version of 1080 snowboarding for the N64. (that comparison is meant to be a compliment for those unfamiliar with the N64 game) Their current VR implementation is horrible, but assuming they get it straightened out and working properly, this is the perfect game to showcase unique omni controls that don't involve walking. Turning and leaning inside of the omni ring could be used to turn and lean while skiing, and pod specific tracking could be used to help with performing midair stunts.

Comments

• JoeJoe Posts: 110
    I just posted in the API thread (and Im trying to get the sdk). It sounds like an xinput bridge would go a long way (and honestly with a calibration step for speed ahouldnt be that hard to do great). But if we cant get api access this is going to be a reverse engineering task...and given the marketshare is probably not going to be worth anyones time unleas they want to sell it for 100 dollars a pop
  • WombatcaveWombatcave Posts: 40
    Hell, developers leaving the option for WSAD motion in new VR titles would be a great start! It is so frustrating we can't emulate to new motion controlled games simply because they quit offering the option for keyboard controls. There are 3 major motion platforms, all in development for over 4 years. You would think developers would at least leave keyboard motion in tact as a starting bridge point.
    Virtuix Omni - Mar.11 | HTC Vive | Oculus Rift | Logitech G25 | Saitek X52 PRO |
    I7 3820 16 gig RAM GTX 970 250gb SSD
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/thewombatcave
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vrcave/
  • jgwinnerjgwinner Posts: 38
    If anyone needs any coding done, I've got my Omni now and would be willing to help at reasonable rates!

== John ==