Omni Meetup in Altspace VR!

Calling all pathfinders, virtuix enthusiasts, devs and curious VR people alike!

Where? Altspace VR
When? Saturday 10/09/2016 7pm GMT (dd/mm/yyyy) (timezone dependent)
What? Chat, chill, games and hype.

Altspace VR is a free multiplayer social experience for VR which supports keyboard and gamepad movement. Chat or play games such as frisbee golf, 'holograms' against humanity or explore the maze. We will meet in the lounge at 7pm GMT.

Feel free to come along whether or not you have an Omni or even a VR headset I'm sure many of us will be able to answer your questions.

If enough of us Omni folks turn up we could try and organise further events perhaps on other games.

Timezones
12 Midday : Pacific Daylight Time
3pm : Eastern Daylight Time
7pm : Greenwich Mean Time
8pm : British Summer Time
9pm : Central European Summer Time
10pm : Moscow Standard Time
2pm : Central Daylight time
12 Midday : Pacific Daylight Time
3pm : Eastern Daylight Time
3am on 11/09.2016 : China Standard Time (Sorry Guys)

Comments

• NobleBrutusNobleBrutus Posts: 143
    edited August 2016
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    edited September 2016
    I might be able to make it. I probably wont bother trying to set up my Omni for use in AltVR though. not unless I see someone else using it and having it work well. Being able to have hand movement via Leap Motion is really much more entertaining anyway.

EDIT: nevermind, I was looking at this weekend. NEXT week I probably wont be home until 4:30pm EST at the earliest. o unless this event runs for 2 solid hours minimum, I wont be making it.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,069
    Sounds like fun! I don't think I have anything on that day. You might want to push it back an hour or so for @GreyAcumen.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    edited September 2016
    @GreyAcumen We could move it back an hour or two. Lets decide that for certain closer to the time when we know who's interested.

Can you not use the Leapmotion as well as the Omni? I don't think Altspace disables keyboard input. (I'll double check tonight.)
  • @NobleBrutus - I might be able to. When I said that, I thought the meetup was a week earlier. I wasn't really considering keyboard movement because I hate being limited to coupled movement (but I could put up with that for a few hours) and I've never used the keyboard to move around in AltVR, so it didn't occur to me that I could use that method.

My suggestion is that since we're all Omni users, we should do the Jungle Maze, but once we get to the top, we have a straight out Omni race from one side of the top of the pyramid to the other (no teleporting or controller use, obviously) From what I hear, the noise of using one frequently gets picked up by the mic though, so it should make for an amusing (and noisy) race. We'll need someone not in the race to call the signal for the race start and to observe the finish. We'll probably want to adjust our avatars to make sure everyone can be told apart easily.

I'm a bit curious to see who all is DK2/CV1 and who is vive out of the Omni users.
  • Given it's looking more like us three is there any other games we could try?

I have a Vive, VorpX and (obviously) the Omni.

I don't know if Onward supports the Omni, if so it would be a perfect fit.. Otherwise a private Counterstrike or TF2 match?
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 307
    edited September 2016
    I'd prefer something like a L4D2 coop if we're looking at something outside of AltspaceVR. There are also a bunch of other apps we could try that are free demos. Big Picture is still getting updated, and it's supposed to allow screensharing through VR.

As for other games within Altspace, I definitely want to try a game of Boss Dungeon. I actually had a round demonstrated, so I should be able to explain it fairly well. Also the shooting game was rather fun. Neither of them particularly leverages the Omni though.
    edited September 2016
    @GreyAcumen L4D2 is a really good suggestion! If @sutekiB wants to 'youtube-ify' it then it could be a really good demo for the Omni. There's no other platform where you could play such an intense game in VR and seeing it played coop would probably make a lot of people go 'wow'.

Any more concrete idea of what time you'll be around Grey?

That would leave 1 spot open for anyone else! L4D2! Last call!
    @froydman @TheSonicRetard @FultonX @KellCam_Virtuix @jasonbazar @gferreiro @IM0001 @sometreknerd @Alkapwn @Fred_LV2VR @blazespinnaker @ModMan
    After Altspace I would love a private CS:GO match. I have a guide for setting it up with vorpX, xpadder and a choice of controllers in the Pathfinder folder - it's in a zipped file. No instructions on setting up a private server, but I'll look into that when I have a moment.
  • gleamingsandsgleamingsands Posts: 306
    edited September 2016
    I'm dying over here. l: MUST BE PART OF THING I CAN'T BE A PART OF

Oh well, the release date for the Oculus Touch controllers were just leaked.

http://vrtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?4525-Oculus-Touch-Controllers-Price-amp-Release-Date-is-Revealed!&p=14890
    edited September 2016
    Would Sunday work better for either of you?

Sorry Gleaming! You could maybe attend as a 'legacy gamer'. Depends what we decide on.
  • Man, I'd love to make it but I've got a wedding this weekend that I need to go to. Relatives, man, they're always getting in the way of my VR experience.
    @froydman can't you convince them to get married in Altspace? :D
  • Would Sunday work better for either of you?

I'll be available Saturday at around 5PM EST, but Sunday I'm available after church, so probably as early as 12PM EST.
    sutekiB said:

After Altspace I would love a private CS:GO match. I have a guide for setting it up with vorpX, xpadder and a choice of controllers in the Pathfinder folder - it's in a zipped file. No instructions on setting up a private server, but I'll look into that when I have a moment.

I don't own CS:GO, so I'll have to sit that one out.
    I still haven't tested out my omni with altspace. I'll probably do that sometime today.
  • Bad news... I tried Altspace again today and couldn't get it to respond to keyboard input like it did in the past. Let me know if you have any luck. Is there any VR multiplayer game working with the Omni right now?

When will we get Omni Arena?

I also don't own CS:GO... just CS:S.
    @NobleBrutus Altspace still works. Don't launch the Steam VR version though. Select 'Play AltspaceVR' and then turn the Vive controllers on. That worked for me. I haven't had time to get a private CSGO server running yet, and can't promise that will be ready in time. I'll keep you posted. I think Jedi Knight could also be played in multiplayer, but again I haven't tested that yet.
  • @sutekiB Awesome! I knew I'd had it working. We can always do another event for CS etc when Froydman might be free.

@GreyAcumen Lets try today at 5pm EST, 10pm BST (aka 2 hours later than intended). Let's meet in the Lobby then head to the maze!.
    Ok I'll be jumping in the game in a minute or two. One of the Virtuix devs will be joining us. See you in the lobby!
  • Right I'm going in now!
  • well, I'm not going to be there. I just found out that my wireless signal is just at the right spot where if I run ANY bluetooth device, it completely destroys my router's signal to the point that I need to manually reset it. So that means no PS4 gamepad, no bluetooth headset, and more importantly, no PODS.
    Why my signal is this bad today only, when I had easily used all of these before without issues? I have no idea, but it's pretty obvious that until I get some sort of powerline adapter, I wont be doing anything with my Omni online. I'll see if I can hop into Altspace without the Omni though.