Anyone getting PSVR?

PSVR is about to launch and the recent reviews are fairly positive. Will any of you be buying one? If so, what games are you getting?

I hope to get one in the future, but will be waiting for more games (maybe after RE7 releases).

Comments

• Waiting for PS4 Scorpio to come out to make sure the VR gets a solid framerate
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 428
    edited October 2016
    No, because I prefer/need the versatility of PC-based VR. What I am jealous of is the comfort of the PSVR is better than Rift and Vive. The screens are hanging in front of your face and there's no pressure against your face. Sony's ergonomics history is great for the most part.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    @Sponge101 I also heard the PSVR HMD is far more comfortable than even the Rift. But I also will not be picking one up. At least not in the foreseeable future, as I have always been far more interested in PC gaming. Though I usually end up picking up a slim version of the consoles to play all the interesting games that I missed out on.
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 428
    @xxann5. Sure, I agree content is everything. That what's great about PSVR--letting developers establish AAA games on console first before porting to higher end pc hardware. I'm willing to bet some of the exclusive games now will be ported after a year or less.
  • @Sponge101 - I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sony has been pretty much the ONLY company to manage holding on to 3rd party exclusives. Even Nintendo generally only keeps things exclusive when it involves their 1st party characters. Microsoft almost always at least releases on the PC, which is why I'd never bother with an XBox console.
    Obviously every VR developer is going to want as large of a pool as possible, and HMDs are a limited pool even tallying them all together, so most of them will be unlikely to agree to go permanently exclusive, HOWEVER because of the limited pool, Sony could go the heavyhanded route and just overcompensate. Because of the limited pool, Sony could just offer more money guaranteed, if the devs agree to be permanently exclusive, than what the devs could make even selling to the entire current VR pool. It's not easy to compete against selling to the entire PC gaming community, but against a mere fraction of it that VR HMDs have managed to penetrate?
    Also, if PSVR can deliver comparable performance WITH comfort, at a significantly lower price point than Vive/Oculus + PC to run it, it's basically a shoe in for anyone with an interest in VR. You'll get both the high end people, who will buy the PSVR just to have it to compare, and also the low end for people who just can't afford the PCVR route (but who don't want their VR being done through their phone via GearVR) That could result in a veritable explosion of VR adoption, provided Sony's supply can meet demand.
  • edmgedmg Posts: 57
    One reason I'm glad to see the PSVR come out is that Sony seem much less worried about 'OMG! Letting players move might make people sick!' in their VR games than PC developers have been. We need to kill the 'no movement but teleportation' fad dead, if we want VR games that work with the Omni.
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    I agree @edmg Sony is giving zero fucks about sim sickness.

I think this will eventually not be an issue. I am dating myself but I remember when games like Doom came out and people where saying how sick it made them. People got used to it. I am willing to bet it a bit worse with VR but i bet people will get there VR legs, especially with the Omni coming out.
  • @xxann5 Agreed! My first FPS was Wolfenstein 3D and I remember thinking how strange it was to be moving through a game without seeing the character on-screen (I hadn't heard the term 'first-person' before then). I got used to it quickly and it became one of my favorite genres. My experience with VR has been very similar.
  • giroudfgiroudf Posts: 127
    edited October 2016
    the real question is , will we be able to use the omni with the PSVR and PS4 ?
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
    I actually have a PSVR still in its box. I can't wait to hook it up and try it out, but I've set myself the task of updating the CSGO legacy game guide first - the new version will include a section on how to host a server for multiplayer. It's nearly done, and I'm looking forward to having some online matches against my fellow Omni users!

@giroudf I think so. Apparently the VirZOOM is compatible with PSVR, so I don't see why the Omni couldn't be as well. It might take a little while since the SDK still hasn't been officially released (a few developers have early versions of it). I would say that PSVR needs to be able to take advantage of 'PC peripherals' like the Omni, in order to port over games that have free-roaming. If you can play free-roaming games on PC, but not on console, there's a danger that console users would migrate over to PC. I mean, imagine if you could only play Skyrim in VR on PC?
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • WombatcaveWombatcave Posts: 40
    Thread is a little old, but a friend of mine picked up a used PSVR AFTER playing vr at my house with the Omni. He was so blown away he wanted to get one himself, but Omni isn't for sale, and without a decent pc already the only cost effective way was a PSVR. I tried it out and have to say, it is REALLY good. Not quite as good as Oculus, or even the Vive for visuals, but really close. I was iompressed by how smooth it was, at 60 fps I was expecting a noticable lag, but it really is butter smooth, completely immersive. Only drawback is the single camera is limiting. However, since the Playstation has bluetooth connectivity, I do not see why it would be difficult to connect the Omni to it and emulate a controller. Hopefully Virtuix gets enough notoriety to grab Sony's attention, as my understanding is the PSVR has outsold Vive and Oculus. Time will tell I guess, damn you early adopter patience.
    Virtuix Omni - Mar.11 | HTC Vive | Oculus Rift | Logitech G25 | Saitek X52 PRO |
    I7 3820 16 gig RAM GTX 970 250gb SSD
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/thewombatcave
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vrcave/
  • flamaestflamaest Posts: 46
    Since Microsoft just killed their VR Scorpio feature at E3, the PSVR would seem to be the only console option. I really wanted to get a Rift with Scorpio, but that may never happen.

Although the Rift has come down in price, you are still looking at almost 1.5k for a Rift+(good)PC.

Virtuix needs to step up their announcements about PSVR compatibility since it is the LEADING VR solution by sales counts.