Omni movement simulating Vive/oculus thumb pad touch

As the title suggests, I'm curious if the Omni code has been updated to support the same type of input used by the Vive controllers and oculus touch for movement. That thumbpad thing that is. The Omni can currently support keyboard and joystick movement inputs if I recall. would like to know if you've added in the code or plan to add it in soon, so that it can also simulate the same movement controls that those controllers use. Then we can use it on games like onward and spellfighter etc etc. just curious though since I've not seen any posts withVirtuix staff stating if it supports it yet or not ^.^

Comments

• I'm pretty sure the thumb pad just simulates a joystick itself, so the omni, simulating a joystick, should cover the same base. Ultimately it's up to devs to start offering support for Virtuix Omni. There's only so much that the Omni can do since there's also a lot of context that can only be handled on the software side of things.
  • omni_dev_pramodomni_dev_pramod Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    Hey Dante, from what I understand steam and oculus driver files need to be shipped and integrated with the Omni so the Omni can simulate either of those controllers and be detected as such in any game.
    My initial thoughts are that it isn't viable to explore / implement as there are many hurdles just for that feature.
    Would have be nice to implement that if it was an easier process.

Shipping devs an SDK that makes it plug and play with the Omni inputs for UE4 or Unity would be the easiest integration process with finer control for developers.
    I believe we're working with the Spellfighter guys in some capacity. That game is so cool!

Regards,
    Pramod
    Level Designer
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 202
    Awesome response mate! Spellfighter is a great game, the other I was thinking about is onward cause it's the only PvP military sim I know of for VR and it's super fun! I'd love to use the Omni rather than the controllers for it. Can't wait to see what you guys and gals at Virtuix come up with absolutely love the company and the consistent updates and support. Excited for these to arrive :D any news on the 2ND shipment meant to be shipped in Oct or will there be a new dev/production post coming soon?

Shipping devs an SDK that makes it plug and play with the Omni inputs for UE4 or Unity would be the easiest integration process with finer control for developers.
    I believe we're working with the Spellfighter guys in some capacity. That game is so cool!

Regards,
    Pramod
    Level Designer

In a perfect world I suppose, but you know as well as we do that if Virtuix doesn't take it upon itself to make the software work to emulate those controls it likely will never happen. Most devs aren't going to waste any time incorporating the Omni SDK into their stuff. A few will but a mass majority won't. So to make that dream happen the Virtuix programmers will have to spend a few hours to update the emulator code.

• @DanteM It will seriously take more than a few hours... The controllers are not comparable to keyboard or gamepad emulation since the number you have make a big difference. It would show up as a third controller in SteamVR which is useless for our needs.
  • adminadmin Posts: 163
    Hi @DanteM, here's what I wrote in a different thread: we are talking to many of these game developers, and I believe we'll get quite a few to integrate our SDK. You need to realize that currently most VR game developers make the majority of their revenues in the commercial market, not the consumer market. The consumer market sales are disappointing. However, money is being made by games in VR arcades and gaming centers, especially in China. The success of the Omni in the commercial market gives the developers the incentive to integrate our Omni SDK and earn money for their game via Omni gameplay in commercial locations. In return, our home users will have awesome games to play with their Omni at home.
    edited February 28
    Strange how my Entire post just vanished after being up for 30 mins :/ is this a error that happens often?
    UPDATE: it did it again disappeared from the thread after 54mins..
    thankfully I have it copy and pasted. I don't think ya'll would censor comments much from what I've seen but if so please just tell me and I can adjust the content to fit the standards...

Most devs don't even look at the Omni SDK unless you reach out to them about it. Over the last few months I've personally reached out to some of the devs that are behind a few of the most successful games on steam and some of the upcoming games as well. they all said the same thing. Take ONWARD for example.. one of the most successful games on steam for VR so far. When I contacted the dev he said he has never even thought about using the omni SDK but now that I mention it he may take a look at it.

The devs at Radioactive games who are making one of the most anticipated open world zombie survival games said they haven't looked at the Omni SDK for their game but that they would look at it. Which I REALLY hope they do as that good looks legit, like DayZ/H1Z1 for VR basically haha.

If you don't have a team to reach out to them they won't even begin to look at the SDK, many dev's won't even go out of their way to work on something with such a unique userbase without it being brought to their attention first. Many of them aren't interested in reaching users in arcades they are thinking about the gamers at home who make up the majority of the profit margin and how to reach them.

"You need to realize that currently most VR game developers make the majority of their revenues in the commercial market,"
    I'm not sure what you are basing this off of, or where you got your numbers from but from the research I've done over the last few months supports the opposite oddly. For most games that support the Vive roughly 68% of their profit is from steam games, out of that roughly 57% are consumers and only 11% roughly are commercial accounts. There is money to be had in the commercial market but the majority is definitely not there as the numbers show. The numbers for oculus games are slightly different but still in favor of the consumer market.

I 100% support virtuix and the Omni and can't wait to see how it progresses and how mods bring out the full potential on legacy games like skyrim. ^.^ I stand by the idea that commercial vs consumer was a terrible idea as numbers don't lie the majority is the majority.

@DanteM It will seriously take more than a few hours... The controllers are not comparable to keyboard or gamepad emulation since the number you have make a big difference. It would show up as a third controller in SteamVR which is useless for our needs.

A "few" may be a poor choice of words on my part sorry, from a programming standpoint 150 hours is a few for me compared to those programs that take 1000+ hours. There are already emulators that are opensource out there to emulate the vive wand on a keyboard but this would not be the best way to do it with the omni.. The way you would want to do it is actually rather easy to implement. If you have ever used a Thrustmaster HOTAS then you are familiar with TARGET the software they use to bundle the stick + pedals + throttle from 3 controllers into one. This allows for games like Star Citizen to be able to function with the setup much easier as well as people like SolarFly to code their own layouts and make more fluid controls but i digress. This process can easily be replicated by Virtuix so that the Omni and the controllers bind into 1 controller, letting steam work flawlessly with them. It would let the omni function as the touch pad and leave the rest of the controller to function normally, all the while steam would view the omni and the controllers as the same devices it's actually rather simple software to create too if you look at the github open sources that rip off TARGET. Hope this helps to drive some new and exciting advancements with the Omni ^.^

That fully solves your 3rd controller dilemma, any other hurdles you can think of that I may of missed? That was a solid point but one I already accounted for with the code I'm toying with for my personal with with vive and omni. I'm sure if Virtuix doesn't write the program someone will.. maybe. Most of the more active and skilled modders within the modding community are all EU and they aren't exactly keen to help us Omni folk anymore, least not currently. Hopefully that changes in a year or so.

The TARGET software also allows you to bind things like a keyboard, gamepad, and rifle controller all into 1 controller for easy use with steam (which I've already done). I definitely plan on toying with it to try and frankenstien a vive/omni hybrid one of these days.
  • adminadmin Posts: 163
    Hi @DanteM we're certainly not censuring you - not sure why the post was vanishing, sorry about that! Yes, we are actively reaching out to the developers and we are in conversations with most of them. Radioactive games wasn't on our list, so we'll be sure to add! Where do you get your numbers from regarding break-out consumer vs. commercial, and are you sure they capture the many direct licensing contracts between devs and operators (outside of Steam), especially in the China market?
    admin said:

Hi @DanteM we're certainly not censuring you - not sure why the post was vanishing, sorry about that! Yes, we are actively reaching out to the developers and we are in conversations with most of them. Radioactive games wasn't on our list, so we'll be sure to add! Where do you get your numbers from regarding break-out consumer vs. commercial, and are you sure they capture the many direct licensing contracts between devs and operators (outside of Steam), especially in the China market?

no worries admin I think I figured it out ^.^ it appears as the forums have an error related to editing posts. If you edit a post excessively or modify it to add more multiple times say 10-15 times over the course of an hour it errors and removes the post occasionally. It appears to be a cache related issue with the edit function possibly. I was able to successfully recreate it last night several times but was not sure if it happened to line up with censorship or if it was the editing causing it. (also recreated it twice with this post *thank you copy/paste saving*). Since you say it wasn't censorship it is much more likely to be the editing function having an error with it. course it took me editing the post about 20 times to recreate it. Adding in proper grammar here and there, punctuation I missed or just and extra line here or there while I was bored.

I really do hope the programmers look at that concept for a binding software similar to TARGET, that could make the Omni so much more potent in the long run.

all the numbers related to consumer vs commercial accounts are reported directly from steam as they track account usage to determine if it's a commercial steam account or a user based account. The profit margin numbers I have gotten from talking to the devs of the more popular games in the VR community on steam and off. The top 4 vr game platforms for tracking popularity and success are Steam , vrgamesfor.com, viveport and the rift store using those you can determine the 20 most successful VR games and contact their dev's directly. It's been a social experiment and just kind of tracking down the ins and outs of the VR community as a whole. It is extremely possible the dev's were not accounting for such contracts when we talked and were just quoting me numbers from direct sales profits which is how content builds popularity and publicity leading to a overall largely user base and thus an even bigger profit margin. Especially when you start getting into sequels, then branding for your studio and game become one of your most potent weapons as the user base that enjoyed the first game often will buy the 2nd even if it's not marketed very well or if it is terrible.. just look at the last 2 CoD games, the active player base dropped by 70%+ in the first 2 weeks after launch but their initial sales were still outrageous due to large user base on prior games. Steam reports active players and stats for the games which makes tracking this easy.