If I order right now, how long will it take to get my unit?

Building VR setup, wanted to know how far along Virtuix is from delivering units.

Answers

• They are probably going to be delivering units in the next couple of weeks, however they are up around 20k for the number of preorders, so it could take another year+ to work through all those, depending on how many units each preorder had. Still, the line is apparently only getting longer, so you might as well put your preorder in as soon as you can.
  • E2e1elE2e1el Posts: 2

They are probably going to be delivering units in the next couple of weeks, however they are up around 20k for the number of preorders, so it could take another year+ to work through all those, depending on how many units each preorder had. Still, the line is apparently only getting longer, so you might as well put your preorder in as soon as you can.

Ok cool! Am going to place my order within the week. The estimated time says Q1 2017, is that one wrong then?
  • their current schedule lists Sept - 258 units, Oct - 810, Nov - 1500, Dec - 2000, etc, and that's only shipping FROM China, (everyone is still waiting for the units to arrive in USA to begin distributing out to kickstarters just yet) I can't see how Virtuix would get through the 20k backlog of preorders any time before Q2 at the earliest, and that's only IF they somehow double production numbers every month from Jan onwards.

I can't see any way that the Q1 of 2017 is even remotely accurate.
  • I ordered in April 2014, my prediction for you is 2019 some time if your lucky
  • I am in China。 I found out that our country's Hero and Co are selling OMNI. But the price is high 26888RMB two units. Since you are unable to guarantee the support of kickstarter. So why can Chinese companies sell them? And shipped in December. I booked it in 2014, so it's not fair to the subscribers...
  • Hello @chenhan198405,
    We do have a partner in China that will be handling sales of the Omni throughout Asia. We don't have any updates for your region at this time, but we'll notify you with any shipping news as soon as we have some.
  • I fairly agree with chenhan198405. Hero and Co had been aggressively marketing and making the units available via their distribution channel. However, our orders which were done way before the collaborations of Virtuix & Hero take place were being cast aside and there's no updates or whatsoever.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,010
    I do understand the frustration of seeing the Omni in public use before you've received your own. This community has put down cash early and rightly expects to be prioritized. However, bear in mind that at this early stage there is hardly any custom content for the Omni - though that will start to change soon. Sure, enthusiasts like me will love playing legacy games, but it's going to take a while before there is a compelling collection of games that take full advantage of the hardware. I believe that an effect of being present in arcades will be the shortening of this period.

Look at the history of color television for instance. Experimental color broadcasts began in 1941. Color TVs didn't go on public sale until 1953. Uptake was slow, and sales did not overtake B&W until 1972. It took 19 years for the new technology to dominate the old! None us want that to happen with VR, which has already had one false start in the 90s. Contrast that sluggish adoption with the rapid success of the PS1 and Sega Saturn. Much of that can be attributed to the 'arcade perfect' ports of games like Ridge Racer, Tekken, Sega Rally, Virtua Cop, and Virtua Fighter. People loved these arcade games so much they were willing to buy these expensive consoles so they could play in their homes.

I don't want to diminish the objections of anyone demanding the Omni they paid for; but when purchasing this device I think many of us didn't just want the hardware - we wanted a mind-blowing experience, and maybe even a better lifestyle. I certainly believe that full 'Active VR' systems can deliver this, but not unless we get over this early adoption hurdle. By continuing to patiently support Virtuix, I feel that everyone here is supporting VR development, and securing the long term future of VR in the home - something I look forward to enjoying with you!
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • XainXain Posts: 87
    Sorry for being blunt about this mate but... that's a load of crap.
    You essentially said, "I know its frustrating but there's barely any content, we should let arcades in China get them first so they can create some content for us to use on it."
    That implies that out of all the people who preorded/backed none of them were devs,

What is really frustrating is knowing that the Omni is being produced and used in Arcades with a December ship date in China when its almost like pulling teeth to get any real information on shipping around here. Moreover we are ALL enthusiasts that ordered their Omni and by extension VR Headsets with the knowledge that content would be scarce. I don't have to tell you what the average preorder/backer wants to use it for, you have a youtube channel that hits all points. Here's what I and most likely the community as a whole wants.

Clear and Precise Updates.
    - I want numbers.
    - I want to know how many Kickstarter Omnis need to ship in all.
    - I want to know how many PreOrder Omnis need to ship in all.
    - I want to know how many have been created every month.
    - I want to know how many have shipped to the quality check location in the US every month.
    - I want to know how many have been checked at said quality check location every month.
    - I want to know how many have actually shipped to customers every month.

I won't be mad if you tell me it will be another 6 months. Nor will I be mad if you tell me you needed more funding so you promised China they could get their arcade Omni's first. I however will be angry that I am told nothing and honestly these vague updates are almost as bad. I don't want to be told guesstimates, just give me the database queried numbers.
    That implies that out of all the people who preorded/backed none of them were devs

I understand that some backers and pre-order customers are developers. I know of one backer who is a developer and has received their Omni, and I hope more will be on their way soon - to developers and non-developers alike. As far as I know, the fulfilment of orders and rewards is being carried out on a first-come first-served basis where possible. The lack of precise numbers lately is I believe down to the uncertainty of how long the quality inspections would take, but there should be more information about fulfilment soon, which I hope will answer some of your questions.
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 155
    edited November 2016
    Sorry but SutekiB I'm gonna have to disagree with you on your statement as well, while you make a few valid points a ton of backers didn't even know there would be custom games and content (just the sweet hardware) which makes that not even remotely a factor. Many of us got it for use with legacy games to replace movement controls of walking and jumping... idk about others but " ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ F*** custom content ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "... I and many others bought the Omni for use with games like Skyrim, Doom 4, Battlefield, ESO, GTAV etc in conjunction with a HMD like the Vive and a rifle controller like the Delta Six or by mapping and using mods to make games like (hate that game as an example but its so easy to use) skyrim motion detect wii controllers to control swords and shields in full VR etc etc. Don't get me wrong custom content is cool but ... I know they haven't even finished sending to the first 600 backers yet as I haven't gotten an email or any notices about my unit. That being said hearing about arcades that supported the development long after me is very disheartening and upsetting, here's hoping that it is misinformation.

I'm upset to hear about the China Arcades possibly getting their units before the original first 3,249 backers but nothing we can do about that expect hope that it in no way hinders or effects the backers getting ours. I'd hope the Omni's that Hero and Co are sending out AREN'T made at the same production plant as all the Omni's that NA and the rest of the world are waiting on cause that would be rather.... disappointing to say the least.

side note:
    I have my Voice Attack fully setup for Shouts, My wii controllers fully control Swords and shields (or 2nd weapon) with full motion tracked support thanks to mods, my HMD displays a beautiful scene with head controls and visible body when you look down, just waiting on that Omni for movement and I'll be ready to finally play through the 3 expansions and a full new gameplay of the game (look forward to the live streams and youtube videos of Expedition Gaming ^.^). Same with Doom 4 using my Delta Six controller and mods for head tracking and such as well.
    Xain said:

- I want numbers.
    - I want to know how many Kickstarter Omnis need to ship in all.
    - I want to know how many PreOrder Omnis need to ship in all.
    - I want to know how many have shipped to the quality check location in the US every month.
    - I want to know how many have been checked at said quality check location every month.

oh man if only... I'd LOVE to know how many have been checked and sent to their new homes, and how many have been received by their new owners just so we can see the line moving and how many kickstarters have gotten theirs. We are still within that first 600 range though I know that much. To answer your question about the how many need to ship in total you can see that already on their kickstarter page btw. it's just over 3,249 as there is 3,249 backers and only a handful ordered the package that gives 2+ omni's. After adding it up there are 3,342 kickstarter omnis that need to ship from start to finish.
    a ton of backers didn't even know there would be custom games and content (just the sweet hardware)

@DanteM I can see your point. Some backers would have watched the Kickstarter video and backed, thinking the Omni was only intended as a more immersive alternative to Keyboard or gamepad input. There's no mention of the SDK in the video, although it was announced before the Kickstarter finished as part of the stretch goal. I doubt making the SDK would have been feasible had the campaign only reached its main goal, but it turned out to be more successful than anticipated, and the additional funds allowed the Omni to be improved - decoupled tracking was achievable thanks to everyone's support. Personally I'm glad this was the case. While I still enjoy playing some games in coupled mode, there is a gulf between that and a fully decoupled experience. Had the Kickstarter campaign just barely made its goal, something closer to the original prototype would probably have been shipped out, and another company might have taken it a step further and introduced decoupled - assuming anyone would have tried. Instead, Virtuix has continued to pave the way for natural locomotion in VR, unhindered by space constraints.

To be clear, when I highlight the benefits of the Omni featuring in arcades I am not trying to explain any decision made by the company - I'm a moderator and it's not my place to do that. I'm just sharing my perspective.
    sutekiB said:

a ton of backers didn't even know there would be custom games and content (just the sweet hardware)

@DanteM I can see your point. Some backers would have watched the Kickstarter video and backed, thinking the Omni was only intended as a more immersive alternative to Keyboard or gamepad input. There's no mention of the SDK in the video, although it was announced before the Kickstarter finished as part of the stretch goal. I doubt making the SDK would have been feasible had the campaign only reached its main goal, but it turned out to be more successful than anticipated, and the additional funds allowed the Omni to be improved - decoupled tracking was achievable thanks to everyone's support. Personally I'm glad this was the case. While I still enjoy playing some games in coupled mode, there is a gulf between that and a fully decoupled experience. Had the Kickstarter campaign just barely made its goal, something closer to the original prototype would probably have been shipped out, and another company might have taken it a step further and introduced decoupled - assuming anyone would have tried. Instead, Virtuix has continued to pave the way for natural locomotion in VR, unhindered by space constraints.

To be clear, when I highlight the benefits of the Omni featuring in arcades I am not trying to explain any decision made by the company - I'm a moderator and it's not my place to do that. I'm just sharing my perspective.
    I entirely understand that perspective and can even agree with it. I definitely enjoy the idea and concept behind decoupled mode and I can't wait for games and mod communities in DOOM and Skyrim to get a hold of the SDK and add decoupled to them. I know VorpX has a mild decoupled support but I've heard it's kinda meh at best. I still look forward to getting my unit and still firmly believe that the company should honor their arrangement and the first 3,342 Omnis should go to the kickstarter backers not some out of the blue arcade that hasn't been waiting years for their investment to come to fruition.
    Xain said:

- I want numbers.

(not trying to sound negative or start a riot haha etc etc just confused)
    So I'm confused can anyone (preferably that works for Virtuix) clarify some of the following information for me PLEASE :smile: So with that recent news letter is Virtuix is basically telling us they are way behind schedule? They said 810 would ship in Oct batch... sounds like the first crate just arrived, if that's the case then 4weeks ago in that last news letter why did they say "the first Kickstarter backers have received their units at their homes."? I'm so confused now... are they on target shipping already as they stated last month or are they just receiving them and not shipped any yet?

"See a few pictures below of the arrival of our first container and our Austin headquarters" would of been nice to know WHEN those pictures were taken because it sure sounds like it just happened meaning the news letter before that with the first backers getting theirs doesn't really make sense anymore O.o

The September batch of 258 should of arrived last month and the 810 from the Oct batch should be arriving any day now :/ (likely not going to be hitting those numbers from the sounds of the newletter) I'm so lost with these new letters not providing enough information... numbers, why aren't we getting any firm numbers about this process?

("A container can hold up to 54 Omnis" "We plan to produce and ship one container per week") means roughly 216 a month so time tables are definitely not gonna hit the anticipated mark from a few months back.
    Those previous estimates were missed due to quality inspections needing to be enhanced. There is always this conflict of wanting to give people information, but not wanting to frustrate people when something takes longer than expected. There should be more shipping details made available in the next few updates.
    I am fairly happy with the information we have been given this update, yes I would like to know more but this is sufficient. I am also cool with China getting theirs marked up because honestly Virtuix has probably lost quite a bit of money through Kickstarter Omnis and PreOrder Omnis that were below 400/500.

I am reading this update as the first Omni contrainer (which will contain 54 Omni's) has arrived. So starting on the 5th at the end of each week they will ship a container which will total 216 Omni's a month. Now I know you said you will ramp it up after Chinese new year and probably will as I see many people wanting off for the holidays however I will only expect 54 Omnis to be made and shipped a week for the first 7 months. Meaning after 7 Months only 1,512 Omnis will have been made and shipped and it will be dead center of 2017 then I hope/expect production to double to 432 a month and by the end of 2017 there will be a total of 4,104 Omni's made and shipped. All Kickstarter units will have been shipped and a few lucky preorders as well. I hope I am one of them but I don't know the kickstarter number vs preorder number.

Thats pretty much it, I hold you only to maintain the 54 a week quota and if that happens I will be happy as its a constant flow of Omnis being made and shipped. If by February you guys have missed without ramping up or both missed and not ramped up I'll probably cry and debate suicide or worse.... the Cyberith Virtualizer *cringe* The creators videos are so **** cringeworthy I literally have to try not to throw up as I watch them. Not to mention his slide/shuffle product just looks infieror as ****.
  • Xain said:

If by February you guys have missed without ramping up or both missed and not ramped up I'll probably cry and debate suicide or worse.... the Cyberith Virtualizer *cringe* The creators videos are so **** cringeworthy I literally have to try not to throw up as I watch them. Not to mention his slide/shuffle product just looks infieror as ****.

Oh my god, dude, stop. At least go for the Kat VR system. Sure it doesn't seem to have a solution for the HMD cables just yet, but it does seem to allow a less restricted range of motion than the omni and there's supposed to be a Wireless HMD support for the Vive already being demoed.
    edited December 2016
    Both good replies, I am happy to know that the line is still at 0 and hasn't started yet which at least let's us know where we stand haha. None have shipped yet but they should be soon it sounds like.

Cyberith does suppose jump and crouch which is pretty sick though, Omni says they support jump but it seems to not support crouch as that ring stops you from crouching down being it doesn't have any vertical rails to slide on. You can set you headset to crouch by leaning forward to lower the height but that's not actually couching sadly. It's more expensive than the Omni which is why I won't ever back it but it does have vertical movement which the Omni doesn't and that is huge but not enough for the price jump in my opinion. I also like the concave platform more as well. By time his stuff launches the Omni will already be in motion (hopefully) which will cause his stuff to flop unless he manages to get a hold of the Omni SDK and find a way to legally make his product work with it as well to piggyback off the already setup Developer foundation at that point.
  • giroudfgiroudf Posts: 127
    ok so we have at least one year to wait for the product being really available for the pre-order (hopefully all backers should get theirs by the year 2017).
    The interesting part is the fact china goes public early, and by the time it is popular there (let's say mid 2017) we will see clones growing like mushrooms.
    (Kat VR being the first in line).
    Since these guys will have all the time to test it, and improve, there would be chance we will see a clone in 2017 that is cheaper and better.
    As long we are free to get refund, i see no problem here.
    @DanteM His early version was trash, his newer one might be better but I was under the impression it was still a flat platform instead of a nice concave bowl. Also he pushed real hard in the beginning about his treadmill not requiring shoes like its competitors and then slowly changing his stance as he realized flat platform and socks was fail. Finally theres a lot of moving parts in his model that look like they can break if you really get into the swing of things. I still remember the Omni feature video where they show the dude running full tilt.
  • @DanteM - I think you severely underestimate just how horrible the concept of crouching in games would be converted to reality. There's a reason why Duck Walks are considered Drills. I don't care how healthy or fit you are/want to be. After 2 minutes of sneaking you'll be cussing the software out for pulling you out of sneak when you inevitably straighten back up just because you physically can't keep crouching. "just leaning over" is pretty much the only feasible manner to be able to get through any normal game where crouching is used at all.
    Even if Cyberith was given the SDK or could piggyback on it for free, that flat platform is going to tank his chances for success. I can't even imagine how much damage you could do to your legs trying to run on a flat platform the way I've been doing on the Omni.