How many non-US backers was it?

gariongarion Posts: 6
edited December 2016 in Announcements
Do anyone know how many non-US backers and non-US pre-order customers it was?
If there were a lot of non-US backers, why isn't a European/Asian upstart company looking to make their own treadmill?
I know here in the USA, if there a market for a product, a lot of entrepreneurs will be all over it! I am one of those entrepreneurs myself!

Comments

• AdminoAdmino Posts: 38
    Hi Garion,
    1. If I recall correctly, someone mentioned there were just under 1000 non-US based kickstarters (around 1/3 of all kickstarters). I think I read somewhere that there was at one point around 20,000 pre-orders, the majority of which would I would expect to be form outside the US (simply because there are more people outside the US than inside it). These are just very rough numbers to give you an idea.

2. There were a few other treadmill ideas floated, but the majority of interested people backed/pre-ordered/invested in Virtuix as they had the most appealing product. Since there wasn't enough interest in the other treadmill products, they died out and the Omni became the product to go for. Since most, if not all, of people involved in the Omni treadmill to some degree, why would any of them go to the effort and expense of developing a different product? Of course, now that has changed, I'm sure more treadmills will gradually appear.

I'm guessing that USA has more entrepreneurs than most other countries (when considered separately of course) in part due to the strong cultural focus on the individual over the group and also in part due to the way the American education system influences children to become more individualistic. As such, there are most likely fewer entrepreneurs in each individual country. Note that I'm not saying that the US culture or education system is "better", just that it is different.
  • XainXain Posts: 122
    edited December 2016
    @Admino US citizen here checking in. Can confirm our education is not better as I graduated from a High School that did not require me to take higher than algebra 2. I was wholly unprepared for college math. *cries softly*

@garion Backer breakdown here https://kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game/community
  • gariongarion Posts: 6
    edited December 2016
    I am not saying Virtuix is right or wrong but looking at the numbers from a small business point of view, I can understand completely why they canceled the international commitments. The numbers for the non-USA customers don't justify the cost it would take to ship or service the Omni in that many countries with such a small user base... By just shipping to the USA only which is much cheaper, where the majority of their customers live and their headquarters are located, saved them millions in loses! Shipping 58 machines across the world isn't worth it... Supporting 58 machines in each different country would just be bad business for a small company. Cooperation can do that because they get kickbacks and tax incentives... Some companies will open up "Dummy" headquarters in certain countries to dodge taxes. I don't think Virtuix is that big yet.
    @garion
    I was just answering your questions regarding entrepreneurs.

I can understand why they didn't want to incur the costs that would be involved in fulfilling their international kickstarter and pre-order pledges at their current stage of development. I don't see why that is the same as arbitrarily cancelling such orders.

This is unrelated to your original question, but I think the primary reason for the degree of negative emotions is because Virtuix made a choice for international backers without any advance warning and without making any attempt to come to some sort of agreement. There are probably many legitimate reasons for the current situation that the backers are unaware of, but from an international backer's point of view (however inaccurate it maybe), Virtuix essentially took their money, used it to develop their product, and then after many years gave it back and said "nah, you're not getting out product, thanks for the loan though". I know that isn't what happened, but that is what it appears to be. If Virtuix had engaged their international backers at an earlier stage, provided more information, and informed them of what the situation was, there would have been more understanding and less frustration when the bomb dropped.

Regardless, the current situation for international backers is to either get their money (plus 3% interest) refunded, or not get anything back at all. They are not very appealing options for people who have no say in the matter, no form or recourse, and no way of changing the situation.
  • @Admino
    Are you saying that international orders will not be shipped? I am customer #1923, ordered in 2013 and I have not been given any information about any cancelation of my order, or any money back. On the contrary, they informed that we need to pay shipment when it is time to deliver, and that it should be in first part of 2017. Did I miss anything important here?
  • DanteMDanteM Posts: 212
    edited December 2016
    Torerk said:

@Admino
    Are you saying that international orders will not be shipped? I am customer #1923, ordered in 2013 and I have not been given any information about any cancelation of my order, or any money back. On the contrary, they informed that we need to pay shipment when it is time to deliver, and that it should be in first part of 2017. Did I miss anything important here?

are you serious right now @Torerk ? Where have you been the last few weeks mate, the forums are abuzz with anger and people going ham on Virtuix about them announcing that they are only supporting US backers.
    @Torerk
    I received an email from Virtuix on December 6th stating that they were unable to fulfill their international kickstarter and pre-order pledges. Instead, they are issuing refunds with 3% interest.

Apparently a mainland Chinese kickstarter backer inquired in kickstarter if they could still get their Omni because they are in the same country in which Viruix's Asia distributor (Hero Entertainment) are operating. Virtuix directed that backer to contact HE directly. If your delivery address is continental US (or I think if you have a commercial license agreement with Virtuix -you are setting up an arcade, etc.), you should be ok.
    I would check your spam folder for messages from Viruix and if you find nothing, contact them directly for confirmation (your case might be different from the rest of us for some reason). They are fairly busy right now so you might not get a reply straight away.