Oculus Touch VS The Vive within the Omni

travis1409travis1409 Posts: 114
I got to try the the Oculus yesterday and it was incredible but I had some concerns when it came to it's use within the Omni. The joysticks. In room scale the joysticks would probably serve a more obvious and better purpose but within the Omni, that acts as a joystick by itself, would the joysticks interfere with your feet movements? The HTC Vive seems like it has a more Omni-friendly design, even if it was unintentional. Have any of the pathfinders or people working with the Omni personally had a chance to try both out within the Omni yet? If so, which would be your recommendation?

Comments

• GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    edited January 2
    The pads on the Vive can be recognized as joysticks as well. The gamepad doesn't matter, it's how the game is designed to recognize inputs. If a game is designed to recognize joysticks for movement, then there's a better chance that the Omni will be able to get its own joystick emulation to be recognized as the joystick of the gamepad the game is designed to look for. More preferably, if the game is designed to recognize the Omni itself, then the Omni can bypass the joystick emulation entirely.
    The problem the Vive brings is that its entire "room-scale philosophy" encourages developers to make games that either expect you to teleport around for large movement and use the play area for interactive movements, or to design games that all take place within the play area. This means that most Vive games don't even bother to check for gamepad inputs at all, leaving the Omni no movement controls to emulate.

Personally, I like the Vive when it comes to performance, features, and steam/revive support, but the Oculus seems to take the lead in terms of ergonomics and comfortable movements. I'd love to have the design of the Oculus Touch, but set up with Lighthouse sensors and able to run steam games. It's like Oculus has taken the "Apple" side of the PCvsMac and AndroidvsIOS battle on the HMD front.

As far as working with the Omni, I'd still stick with the Vive, as long as you have room to set up an Omni and still have the 2mx1.5m left over for room scale. You could set up your "room" to include the Omni, but then shrink your "play area" down so it only uses the open area. There are room scale games that are worth setting up for. If you're only interested in the Omni, then you would probably do just as well to go with the oculus.
  • XainXain Posts: 122
    Pet peeve of mine, its the Rift. Oculus is the company. Personally I would not base which headset you want to buy because of the Omni. If all you want to do is use the Omni in junction with Vorpx it honestly does not matter. If you're already a pc gamer that uses steam and prefers that their library all be in one place I suggest the Vive but you can emulate either headset with mods to play titles that support only one headset.
  • travis1409travis1409 Posts: 114
    I am more interested in any VR specifically for Legacy games than I am for Room Scale. If the Oculus has issues with Mods than I would have to go with the Vive. I want to play Skyrim with the Omni and want the best option to do that. The Oculus seems to be the better of the two in most categories but I haven't been able to try them both with anything outside of room scale since I can only play demos at cons and stores. Seems like the Vive might be more compatible with my specific expectations if the oculus acts like a Mac/Apple. I despise Apple specifically because they make it difficult as hell to mod their stuff or work with thrid party and if what you say is true then I would have to go with the Vive.Wish there was a place I could try out the omni with both.
    edited January 3
    ****... I give up, I have no idea what the **** is going on with the forums but it will not let me post any **** links with the link function. It just **** disappears, taking with it all of mya uyhgbdnsfkj mdfijuk I'm too tired for this. I'm going to work and may or may not try this **** again.

huh.. well then I just literally tried it again and noticed at the bottom left corner a message pop up that says it will appear after my comment has been approved... **** please make that large and in the center of the damn screen. I have a 50 inch monitor, I'm not going to see something that flashes for a second down there. Going to work OTL
  • @Xain Probably the lizard men and Alex Jones turning the frogs gay. I've got good news though, I've just picked up a third Oculus Sensor and will be working on a ceiling mount solution! BRAVA!
    Odd, for some reason the forum will not let me use its linking option. It literally just kicks it out and posts nothing.. Guess I'll just do it the old fashioned way...

Depends on where you live, Im sure a major city would have some place to try out both as far as mods they should also be the same however a while back.. I think 6 months? Some developer ( https://www.reddit.com/user/CrossVR/ ) came up with a program ( https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive ) that made your Vive emulate a Rift so you could play Rift only titles with your Vive (also I believe he also made it work vice versa?). The next patch Oculus added a headset check to their store to stop you from doing that. Of course this was easily circumvented but they got a lot of bad PR for that and since removed the check. ( http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/oculus-reverses-course-dumps-its-vr-headset-checking-drm/ ) I can't tell you what the modding community is like with the Rift as I have a Vive, but I can tell you the Rift modding community is very active ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/index#wiki_applications.3A )on reddit.

On another note I'm not sure if you have followed any Vive news but there has been a debut for a new prototype controller design ( http://www.wareable.com/vr/htc-vive-new-controllers-3356 ) that you may like. A few companies that have shown off wireless solutions ( ) for the headsets and there is also a backpack computer ( ) that regardless of what the reviewer says will not make your Rift wireless as the tracking cameras will still have to be connected with a wire to the computer residing on your back.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    Hi @Xain - I'm terribly sorry, I did not get any notification that your posts were being filtered for spam. I fixed that for you, and now you should be able to use the link function again. Thank you for providing helpful information to other forum users - it's much appreciated!
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    @sutekiB Ah, I figured it was something like that, my sleep addled mind was just like, 'Try everything! And then I gave up and decided to wait until you saw it. Also how's the vorpx update? Im almost debating buying it now but the only reason Im holding off is because I want to use it in junction with my Omni.
    I still have yet to purchase the Vive or the Rift because I have been waiting on a firm date from Virtuix before I buy them. I was just trying to get a first hand experience from someone who has gotten their feet on the Omni. I know that it's ultimately trivial which one I buy because they will both work with the omni but I was trying to gage on which would work better and factor that into my decision. Thanks @Xain. The mod community for both is super active and both controllers have their advantages and disadvantages but they are both fantastic pieces of hardware that are only going to improve with time. I am leaning towards the Rift but seeing so many people who have the omni already using the Vive makes me pause. That may be because that when the pathfinder program launched the Touch controllers weren't readily available if I remember the timing correctly. As much as I hate having to wait for my Omni, the advantage of waiting this long is that the VR market is constantly improving while I go into year 4 of waiting for this thing. I wonder if the new Vive controllers will be out before I get my Omni? The release date is just "2017" so I have no idea to be honest but based on Virtuix track record I will probably get my hands on the the new Vive controllers before setting my feet on the Omni so I will likely get to try them out for myself.
    @travis1409 So... you aren't going to buy any rift or vive roomscale games? I mean I was the same way at first, when the Rift was first announced I was like, 'Thats cool, but I can't see myself enjoying it without some way to walk around in a VR world. Then Jan was all like, 'BAM! I GOT YA BRO.' and instantly I knew what I wanted in life, Vanilla WoW, Oblivion and Skyrim. ALL in VR.

Then I bought the Vive, expecting it to gather dust until I got my Omni but low and behold; I tried a few room scale demos and became a believer in roomscale VR with tracked motion controllers. I have never in my life experienced awe like this. On a separate note Im seriously wondering what Rift users did for the 6 months they had to sit in a chair and use a controller, mine would have just sat there gathering dust.
    I loved the room scale VR demos I have tried so far but at the moment I have a very small space for it, enough for the omni but not much more. If and when I get a new place with more room for room scale, then I would love to do some of the roome scale stuff. When I finally get my Rift or Vive, I'll be using my omni space for room scale until the omni actually gets to me then I won't have room for both. Room scale, to me, is something I will be using as a placeholder until I get my omni and then just something I show to people who want to try it after that.
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 23
    Any thoughts on the VIVE vs the Rift in the Omni? I have both (self-educational pursuits) and figured I'd put the Rift on the Omni because the VIVE just seems more natural for room scale (less cameras, it cam first, etc).

Someone suggested to me that the Rift tracking even with four cameras was not that great an option for the Omni due to the amount of upper body motion. I imagine I will try the Oculus first and if it doesn't work out, put the VIVE in it. Beyond the tracking, there are the game options in some cases which I guess could drive me to one or both headsets on the Omni.
    @MarkV PLEASE keep me informed because I am still wrestling with decisions on which one would be better for the Omni. Once you have tried them both I would love for you to either comment on here or shoot me a personal message. They both seem to have strengths and weaknesses but the Omni is a factor that I have a hard time judging since I don't have one and neither do most of the reviewers.
    Will do. My omni arrives tomorrow. I've got most of my room set up and ready to go. I did receive the Boom (looks good so far, having the Omni should prove one way or the other) and the stands (good for the lighthouses) and the keyboard "rack" (disappointing as it moves so much to be practically useless - mine may be a defect since the box had already been opened on receipt).
    Started downloading content - right now the VIVE has more support from Virtuix. No Omni Arena executable listed for the Rift is posted.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,040
    @MarkV The Rack may wobble if fastenings are loose. Have you tried spinning the Rack clockwise to make sure it is fully tightened in the base? Sometime if you pick the Rack up from the top half to move it, the lower half will spin loose a bit before you set it down.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    @sutekiB, yes, it's definitely the base (grab the lower end of the pole and move it - not the top) and the base pole will not twist any further. I expect some sway, but it's significantly worse than the stands and the boom and at a much lower height. I may swap the base for one of tracking stands. I can post a video on dropbox if you want to better understand what I'm describing.
  • adminadmin Posts: 164
    Hi MarkV, we'd love to learn more. Could you send us a video link either here or at support@virtuix.com? Thanks for your feedback!
    I'm in the support system. Thanks! I originally submitted something through the website (contact us) as I didn't know about the support site. Thanks again!
  • CheezWizCheezWiz Posts: 74
    I used thread locker on all my stuff, even the Omni. I used the medium strength loctite. Years of building guns and RC models has made me dependent on the stuff.
    --------------------------------------
    Cheez\/\/iz
    Omni Backer #40!
    Rift Backer #2,770 (That was a good one!)
    Middle Tennessee
    --------------------------------------