When will U.S. non-commercial orders be able to be placed again?

I'm confused...maybe I missed something somewhere?
According to the announcement: "Therefore, we have made the difficult decision to only deliver units to our U.S. home market and issue refunds to our customers outside of the U.S."

But on the Shop page, the Omni package info states it is only available for purchase for commercial use.

So, can U.S. home customers purchase a consumer version or not?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• XainXain Posts: 122
    Unsure on this one either and would like to know, as I'd like to purchase a second one for my family.
  • WillWill Posts: 3
    Okay, thank you for getting back to me. I'll will wait and see if/when the consumer ordering option opens up again.
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    edited January 4
    More than the whole international issue, this is what really concerns me. If Virtuix cuts out ALL personal sales on the Omni, forget having a userbase for devs to build games for, they wont even have the devs to build the games in the first place.

If you are one of the lucky few to be getting an Omni unit, make sure to hold onto the box it comes in and all of the various packing pieces, because at this rate, you wont be seeing anything new once you get bored with TraVR.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
    I should clarify my answer. Virtuix is not selling directly to consumer, but it's possible Virtuix will find distributors who will then sell the Omni on to consumers. If you come across anyone offering the Omni through their website, you're welcome to inquire about that here; I'm happy to verify if they are an authorised distributor. To my knowledge there is not yet one in the U.S.
    they wont even have the devs to build the games in the first place.

@GreyAcumen - If any developer has a game they want to add Omni support to, they may contact developer relations. The link is on this page: Developers
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • SlopeySlopey Posts: 23
    sutekiB said:

@GreyAcumen - If any developer has a game they want to add Omni support to, they may contact developer relations. The link is on this page: Developers

It'll be interesting to see if anyone bothers - unless you're interested in making a short arcade scenario, it's not worth the effort.

I have several simulations I'm working on for the Oil & Gas/Power Gen industry, and we were looking forward to using the Omni with those, but we've given up on that now - there's no point, and I'm certainly not paying $4k for a "commercial" one - we'll make do with teleporting and room-scale instead.

I really can't imagine that serious VR titles/developers, which won't work in a high-throughput/time-limited Arcade scenario, will bother with Omni support.
  • GreyAcumenGreyAcumen Posts: 308
    edited January 4
    @Slopey - that's exactly what I've been saying all along, and why I am rapidly becoming disillusioned with the potential of the Omni.
    sutekiB said:

they wont even have the devs to build the games in the first place.
    Holy crap, SutekiB, the amount of spin you put on to miss my point would have made Peppy Hare proud.
    If a Dev can't personally verify what issues may come up, or what freedoms they are granted by adding Omni support, then what possible temptation could they have to add support for it? Just look at how often dropping through the floor happened in TraVR, and that game was built specifically for the Omni, and you expect Devs to just plop in the code and that will be the end of it? They certainly aren't going to be tempted to make that sort of attempt with the current consumer-end footprint, which apparently has a very clear maximum bar which wont be getting raised any time soon.

Within the confines of an Arcade setting, what benefit is the Omni even going to be? You already have games like Space Pirate Trainer that are perfect for an Arcade, and that only requires a quick adjustment of the headset and you're ready to play. The Omni only benefits from large open worlds, which require time to explore. Arcades are only suitable for short experiences, and half your time is going to be spent just getting people suited up in the harness, and then also waiting for the other person to get OUT of the Omni.
    This issue is exacerbated by the apparent issue that commercial Omnis may not even come with a full set of shoe sizes and multiple harnesses, which would at least justify the $4k+ price and allow people waiting in line to get the harness on while waiting for the other person to finish playing, and then be able to begin their turn as soon as the other person steps out.
    @SutekiB - If there's any defense, where you can say "no, I'm an official source, and the commercial units totally come with a full range of shoe sizes and multiple harnesses" now would be the time to bring it up. I've been hearing a whole LACK of denial on that subject every single one of the multiple times it has come up. The only people who have been refuting the point are people who are doing it purely hypothetically, purely on the basis that it is such an idiotic and tactically disastrous stance to take, and we're getting tired of looking stupid when all evidence seems to pointing to us defending someone completely guilty of the accusations being posed.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,045
    @GreyAcumen
    If a Dev can't personally verify what issues may come up, or what freedoms they are granted by adding Omni support, then what possible temptation could they have to add support for it?
    That is a question to put to developers@virtuix.com - I don't handle that kind on inquiry, sorry!
    Within the confines of an Arcade setting, what benefit is the Omni even going to be? You already have games like Space Pirate Trainer that are perfect for an Arcade, and that only requires a quick adjustment of the headset and you're ready to play. The Omni only benefits from large open worlds, which require time to explore. Arcades are only suitable for short experiences

I've been doing a lot of testing of the in-house game 'Omni Arena' today - that is a short solo / co-op experience that lasts a few minutes, but contains an area much larger than you could have with room-scale. It's great fun!
    half your time is going to be spent just getting people suited up in the harness, and then also waiting for the other person to get OUT of the Omni

I have some ideas for cutting the embarking / training / disembarking time down considerably, and I'm hoping to get an opportunity to test these soon.
    This issue is exacerbated by the apparent issue that commercial Omnis may not even come with a full set of shoe sizes and multiple harnesses, which would at least justify the $4k+ price and allow people waiting in line to get the harness on while waiting for the other person to finish playing, and then be able to begin their turn as soon as the other person steps out.

I don't handle the commercial side of things either, so I can't say what's included by default. There is a contact form for commercial inquries here - http://www.virtuix.com/commercial-license/

Community Manager at Virtuix
  • flamaestflamaest Posts: 45
    @GreyAcumen your comments are on target and correct; and given this bleak reality, even those few home users (USA) who get their OMNI's will ultimately be staring at a giant doorstop. This is all VERY sad, and at the same time, all I want is to get my OMNI to show the world it really exists; but at what cost? What a waste indeed. VIRTUIX and OCULUS were not at CES this year, yet OCULUS just released the TOUCH controllers. Hmmm...
  • CheezWizCheezWiz Posts: 74
    So long as I can play FPS's with keyboard emulation, it will not be a doorstop. That's all I want.
    --------------------------------------
    Cheez\/\/iz
    Omni Backer #40!
    Rift Backer #2,770 (That was a good one!)
    Middle Tennessee
    --------------------------------------
  • xxann5xxann5 Posts: 593
    CheezWiz said:

So long as I can play FPS's with keyboard emulation, it will not be a doorstop. That's all I want.

This.
  • MAYAmanMAYAman Posts: 5
    CheezWiz said:

Is this even guaranteed?
  • XainXain Posts: 122
    Yes, the Omni while having its own sdk also has the ability to emulate a controller or keyboard and mouse and if confirmed to work with xpadder by @sutekiB
    Check out a few of his youtube videos and forum posts.
  • VeraxusVeraxus Posts: 36
    Given that I'm fairly certain Kickstarter orders are essentially sold at a loss at this point, they're relying on Commercial sales to support the company for now... especially since sticker shock would otherwise make the product a no-go for home users. TBH, Omni makes a LOT of sense as a commercial product... and it's built like a tank.

So... at the moment Virtuix still needs to ship a ton of units to backers. They decreased the financial and production burden by cutting international backers out of the picture, but that's still a huge financial burden if they're shipping at a loss. They've found commercial investors overseas in various markets so that keeps everything afloat... but it also diverts units from backers/preorders to those commercial partners... so that's a capacity problem.