Personal Health Concerns

Hey everyone, I've been really interested in the Virtuix Omni for a while but I have a pretty major health concern relating to its use. About five years ago I suffered a pretty significant fall in Yosemite National Park. I'm a photographer by trade and I was there in Winter taking photos. I misjudged the ice and got a chance to experience the joys of human kinetics against solid rock. Since then I was diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, or CRPS. The best way to describe CRPS is comparing it to a horrible sunburn that penetrates into the deepest part of your body. It can effect a pretty wide area but I'm fortunate that mine is contained to my left leg, extending from the knee to the foot.

This condition makes activities like walking difficult. On the days I actually get out of bed I need to utilize a cane to perform most functions outside of the house. This has caused me to enter a more sedentary life style with online gaming becoming a major part of my hobbies. I'm a huge supporter of VR and believe it's already revolutionizing electronic media. Virtuix Omni is hands down the most exciting thing about the VR experience for me and it's something I'd really like to enjoy. Obviously the above health condition is a major point of concern for me. I'm not asking for medical advice, just a little bit of direction from people that know more about it than I do.

What are the chances that someone with major difficulties walking could enjoy Virtuix Omni for even an hour a day?

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,049
    Hey @Alastrom, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your accident. First, let me say that I'm not qualified to give medical advice; second be aware that the Omni is currently not available to order on the website. However, I do believe the Omni could be very helpful for users with reduced mobility. The static Ring can help you support your body weight if you choose to lean on it (or the harness frame) with your arms. It's also possible to adjust sensitivity so that less foot movement is needed to trigger in-game movement; that should mean that in theory even if one foot wasn't moving quite as much as the other, you should still be able to get a smooth and consistent movement through the game.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • sutekiB said:

Hey @Alastrom, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your accident. First, let me say that I'm not qualified to give medical advice; second be aware that the Omni is currently not available to order on the website. However, I do believe the Omni could be very helpful for users with reduced mobility. The static Ring can help you support your body weight if you choose to lean on it (or the harness frame) with your arms. It's also possible to adjust sensitivity so that less foot movement is needed to trigger in-game movement; that should mean that in theory even if one foot wasn't moving quite as much as the other, you should still be able to get a smooth and consistent movement through the game.

That is the most encouraging thing I've heard all day. Thanks for the response.
  • @Alastrom, I am going to be the canary in the coalmine on this. I have MS and I was hoping that I could use the Omni to do some gait training for myself but in 2015 I had a catastrophic attack that left me incapacitated. I was hospitalized for months. After a ton of physical and occupational therapy I can get around with a rolling walker at a snail's pace but I can do it. My Omni is supposed to come in a few weeks. I intend to get in touch with Virtuix because I want to show the folks at the hospital that I went to as I promised them that I would show them the unit.

The hospital that I went to is a state of the art rehab facility. They are pretty open minded about gaming as they use the Wii to keep stroke patients from getting too bored with their physical therapy. @Alastrom you might be interested in their use of a machine called an autoambulator. It as robot that helps you develop the muscle memory of walking.

Let's keep in touch, I am sure I will be able to tell you how NOT to do things with the machine.
  • AlastromAlastrom Posts: 3
    @3devious, sorry for your troubles. I'm so excited to hear that the medical field is integrating this technology into their rehab. As much as I want a Virtuix Omni, days like today bring me back down to earth. Gaming has become something of my escape from this B.S.

I'd love to hear more from you.