Rift VS Vive.....again.

travis1409travis1409 Posts: 130
Now that mine is on the way and I still have yet to purchase either, I wanted to bring this back into the discussion. The HTC and Virtuix have been collaborating so it would seem that, going forward, the Vive is the best one to buy but on the other hand there are emulators out there that can make the Rift think it's a Vive. The Rift is now 200 dollars cheaper as well, since I'm on a budget that seems like the most appealing option. The Vive seems to be more friendly towards devs and modders alike while the Rift seems to be more user friendly. Anyone care to weigh in?

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,059
    You should choose the Vive. I haven't tried emulators, but I wouldn't take a chance on that. Content needs to support both the Omni and a headset, and content that supports the Omni more often supports the Vive than the Rift.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • WombatcaveWombatcave Posts: 40
    I owned the oculus dev kits and a cv1 on release day. The cv1 died the day I got Omni so I went out and bought a Vive... as an avid user of both purchase the Vive. The oculus is better in every way except tracking, but it is so much better you will forget everything else. Besides Omni natively supports Vive so you will have no compatibility issues.
    Virtuix Omni - Mar.11 | HTC Vive | Oculus Rift | Logitech G25 | Saitek X52 PRO |
    I7 3820 16 gig RAM GTX 970 250gb SSD
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/thewombatcave
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vrcave/
  • travis1409travis1409 Posts: 130
    I was worried about the tracking issue as well. I love the Rift controllers though. Like Wombat said, the rift beats the vive in everything but tracking is so crucial for immersion that it's a really big deal.
  • gleamingsandsgleamingsands Posts: 294
    I'm still a big Rift fan, but only through my experience having been more than bearable thus far and not having tried the alternative. I'd give the Vive a try, but it's as simple as this: The Vive is more expensive.

I've still yet to encounter a single experience I couldn't use with the Oculus.
    @gleamingsands Have you tried any legacy games for the rift?
  • gleamingsandsgleamingsands Posts: 294
    It's awful. Just awful. @travis1409 It made me sick immediately because I accidentally moved the y axis
    Ouch. Maybe I SHOULD get the vive then because legacy games are one of the main reasons I wanted the omni in the first place.
    I picked up the Vive today but I bought it at the Microsoft store so I can return it in 30 days if I decide I want the rift more.
  • DragonflyDragonfly Posts: 4
    I just received notification and my order is ready to ship but I am bummed and don't know what to do. They no longer support the Rift which is what I have and they no longer support consumers only commercial.
    I am so crossed I'm just going to sit and think about it unless someone has any hopeful information about any kind of support either Rift or just ANY support if I receive it. It sucks I waited 3-1/2 years and come to find out they made these major changes.
  • elswheyrelswheyr Posts: 5
    edited September 2
    I just received my oculus rift ... my initial impression is that it is lighter, the screen door effect less noticeable, and set up was easy. That having been said, I do not feel that the positioning of the first two sensors/cameras offers as much of a room scale experience. I feel my HTC Vive is better. at room scale. The Rift seems to be really good at stationary play, either seated or standing. As long as the cameras can see the head set or touch controllers, it is great. In a room scale setting, where I am moving and turning away from the cameras, I am having occlusion issues. It feels like the room scale implementation was an after thought. Some of the titles that seem to be Oculus rift only are nice, Although I do not know if they alone would justify the purchase of an Oculus Rift. Maybe, I will find the room scale better with a third camera.
  • flamaestflamaest Posts: 77
    Good job on getting everything set up. That being said, Oculus has already stated that you need a minimum of three cameras to do room scale. Two cameras is not enough. This is a known issue and I would encourage you to reattempt your scenarios properly with a third camera, even go as far as a fourth if you can. They are pretty cheap. Let us know any updates.