Any ideas why the Omni Arena keeps switching to the desktop?

I have a fairly powerful rig, GTX 1070 (enhanced), 32G RAM, i7-3820 CPU @ 3.6Ghz.

When I run the Omni Arena, it IMMEDIETLY switches back to the desktop. I get may be 1/2 second of seeing the menu. If I tab back to the program, or try to view it in the HMD, it again immediately switches back to the desktop.

SteamVR complains about frame rate, but I can't get it to stay in the game longer than 1-2 seconds, max. If I enable the debugging console, I do see some frame rate drops, but the blasted thing won't stay in the game long enough to see what's going on. I can't even change any settings in the game. I've tried every steam VR setting to get it to stop that :smile: and it still won't stay in the game.

Travr Training Ops works fine. Most other VR apps I've tried work fine.

The motherboard is a 2011 dual socket board, with just one CPU; I may expand to two xeon's, but most Xeon's have a slower clock rate (but more threads), so I'm hesitant to switch at this time.

Any suggestions?

== John ==

Answers

• adminadmin Posts: 169
    Hi John, I have passed this on to our development team. Arena currently only has a 2D menu to be controlled with your mouse from the desktop to launch a match. Once a match is launched, the game will enter VR mode.
  • @jgwinner It sounds like the game may be initiating the Windows Firewall prompt, but for some reason, the prompt is not appearing. Try to set the firewall settings for the game and see if it is still happens.
  • jgwinnerjgwinner Posts: 38
    I did that, then I tried turning the firewall off - same thing, although it stays up a TAD longer.

No actual prompts on the desktop or anything. Just switches back - in this case, to this web page.

Very weird. Makes it hard to exit out :)

Shadow Ops works fine - was messing around with that and TraVR Training Ops, they work fine (I have some S/W issues with the movement, but the game itself works perfectly).

I don't plan on doing much arena combat, so I guess it's not a big loss, but it is weird.

John ==
  • Hmm... That's strange, I've never seen that.

Do you have any additional monitors set up?
    Do you have SteamVR open and the Vive connected?
  • jgwinnerjgwinner Posts: 38
    No additional monitors, SteamVR open, Vive connected (as the other monitor in effect).

I've tried running it both with and without SteamVR running first. If SteamVR isn't running, it runs it.

== John ==
  • Ok, we will try to replicate this on our end as well. Let me know if you think of any other details that may be helpful.