Rigged up my own Omni shoes

Me and a buddy of mine rigged up our own Omni shoes.

Comments

• travis1409travis1409 Posts: 128
    Here's a video of them working in action!
  • XainXain Posts: 122
    Lol, is that literally a bag of Doritos and a case of Mountain Dew I see in the background? Will have to compare the Omni shoes and those sliders but seems viable as long as no damage results to the Omni from your ghetto rigged solution.
  • pittsburghjoepittsburghjoe Posts: 58
    Looks just as sloppy/unnatural as the regular shoes ..congrats?
    @Xain no mountain dew but I did have a bag of doritos. The shoes were clunky but it beats the alternative of someone with bigger feet than me having to spend a 100$ just to try the omni.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 135
    Thanks for sharing!! I have some friends that will want to try it as well, and the 100 dollar price was irritating (esp. when I ordered with the pricing being considerably lower) I'd rather try this than shell out hundreds of dollars on shoes. Heck I could also probably have more comfortable shoes!
    Right, didn't know the price of shoes increased from 60 to 100. As I said earlier with the Harness I should be able to come up with a solution since it seems we're getting nickle and dimed hard.
    It does not work as well as the original shoes, but that's to be expected. It might have been our height differences, it might have been the type of plastic we used but either way he had to take two steps at least for every one step of mine. Which is the exact opposite of us normally, he's 6'3" and I'm 5'2". Next time he's over we are going to do some more experimenting but they work well enough for someone just to try it. It left some white residue on the base that I worried were scratches but we were able to wipe it right off. I wish we could find out what type of plastic was used on the omni shoes so I could make it work better. Feels like the same material as skateboard wheels. My recommendation is go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick some of these up and put them on a pair of skate shoes, or any shows with flat bottoms really. If I find something that works better I'll post it on the forum. If anyone else tries this with better results, please inform me.
    edited May 30
    @travis1409 It could possibly be the simple fact that the ones on the official shoes are more... even? Like the legit ones are like 3 strips that look to be at least an inch tall and two wide? You can try ordering a type of thermal plastic that I use in cosplay. Basically its a bunch of really tiny beads that you boil in a pot, once it gets hot enough the beads will combine and you will be able to mold it until it cools. You can reheat it and reform it as many times as you like.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IhVuc6RNyaw

-edit The stuff I use is called Instamorph
    The question is though, how well do those slide? Some materials are more prone to stick rather than slide.
    Hm, I have some on me, but since I don't have an Omni the best I could do is slide it against other plastic.
  • lipploglipplog Posts: 73

It does not work as well as the original shoes, but that's to be expected. It might have been our height differences, it might have been the type of plastic we used but either way he had to take two steps at least for every one step of mine. Which is the exact opposite of us normally, he's 6'3" and I'm 5'2". Next time he's over we are going to do some more experimenting but they work well enough for someone just to try it. It left some white residue on the base that I worried were scratches but we were able to wipe it right off. I wish we could find out what type of plastic was used on the omni shoes so I could make it work better. Feels like the same material as skateboard wheels. My recommendation is go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick some of these up and put them on a pair of skate shoes, or any shows with flat bottoms really. If I find something that works better I'll post it on the forum. If anyone else tries this with better results, please inform me.

Hey Travis1409,
    Did you ever get your rigged shoes to respond as well as the Omni shoes? I picked up a pack of plastic sliders, but I'm reluctant to ruin my shoes before I know it'll be worth it.
    Dude they come right off, it won't ruin your shoes. It won't even damage your shoe. We never solved the issued because he hasn't been over to hang since. We think more pads to cover more surface area might be the issue because he said he could feel parts of his shoe getting caught on the omni where the pads weren't covering. I also think it might have something to do with him being new to it because I had some friends try it who could fit into my shoes and they had some issues walking on it as well that I don't remember having.
    I just did a quick test using my adidas energy boost sneakers and the Super-Slider set you posted above. You were right about needing to cover the entire sole to prevent the rubber tread from coming in contact with the dome and tripping you up. (I've ordered more super-sliders). But for the most past, the hack seems to work. Someone asked if the sliders might not damage the Omni dome, but I don't see how it would be any different than the Omni shoes, unless the super sliders are made of something different than the Omni shoes. As for the foot tracking, I just tucked the Omni trackers under my laces, before I remembered that the frackersneed the brackets in order to activate, I'll pull them from my Omni shoes whenI have more super-sliders and let you know how they work. And I really hope they do because the Omni shoes are KILLING my feet.
    I did the exact same thing with the bracket. We were on it, ready to go, wondering what the hell was wrong before we figured it out. The super sliders seemed to leave some sort of white residue on the bowl that I worried was scratching it but it came right off with a damp paper towel. Me and my buddy were talking about alternate solutions to this issue and we thought about those brackets that mountain climber put on over their existing shoes. We thought about getting a pair of those and outfitting them with a permanent plastic sliding bottom but that would require a lot of tinkering. Makes me wish, though, that Omni would have done that initially instead of trying to sell us a pair of uncomfortable shoes for every person with bigger or smaller feat that we know. It would also work better as a slide on in an arcade setting because then the people at the arcade wouldn't have to be cleaning out shoes like a bowling alley does.
    Yeah, I noticed that yellow residue as well. But I remember reading something on the Virtuix site that said the more you use the shoes on the treadmill dome, the better it works. I.e. The more wear the better. I'd have to search for it, but I'm sure I didn't misread it. Unless it was written about an earlier version that's now changed. The only issue I noticed was that the rigged shoes don't slide as quickly as the Omni shoes. The super sliders have more resistance.
  • MAYAmanMAYAman Posts: 55
    The leaning forward is killing me lol
    I tried using the 'booties' that are in the painting aisle of home depot...I'll get details posted here when I'm home...we'd used them with carpet sliders to try to make something that would work. In the end, we ditched the carpet sliders, and just used those...wiith the sensors run through shoelaces on the shoes underneath. That actually was playable...my friend had a great time. One thing we had to do was run duct tape around from ankle to under the middle of his foot to help hold it on, but it worked and was super cheap. I'll work to iterate and see how good we can make it.
    interesting! I’ve been using the sliders on a new pair of comfortable Nike’s with pretty good success (see pic below). The sliding isn’t as smooth as the Omni shoes, and as you can see in the pic, the sliders wear out fast after only a few sessions. But the comfort of a real shoe is worth it. How long do the booties usually last?

I would also like to know how well the booties perform because the Omni shoes are not comfortable at all
    Where did you get those tiny runners?
    You mean the sliders? We got them at Lowes.
    edited October 12
    For the booties I got them at Home Depot, I need to try them side by side to comment on how well they work. For now, they allowed my cousin to actually use the device
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 35
    Joe, can you post a link to the booties? I have two pairs of shoes (got the second pair before they went up in price), but I'd like to have a general purpose solution for people that want to try it out.
    Sorry just saw this...Evol those are the ones..that and duct tape!
  • flamaestflamaest Posts: 72
    edited October 15
    Has anyone tried wrapping a pair of shoes in DuPont™ Tyvek material?
    I seem to recall this material is extremely strong and very smooth and slippery.
    it is also the same material in the free USPS Priority Mail envelopes that you can get at any US post office.
    https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-tyvek-envelope-P_EP_14
    OK, so I got my Omni yesterday and set it up. It was super easy to assemble and I have to give Kudos to the Omni team for their engineering, this thing is rock solid, and easy to put together. I am going to respond about the "slipping and sliding" comments I hear from everyone who doesn't have one of these and even from those with an agenda. As you know from my posts I've been SUPER critical of Virtuix and their bonehead decision to cancel all consumer support and sales, huge gigantic mistake IMO.

Now that being said I want to touch on the "slippy slide" comments. If you spend time, and I'm talking about less than ten minutes, you can almost certainly learn how to walk naturally on this thing. You don't have to do that dumb super lean forward either, you have to "learn" the correct stride. Also, it doesn't feel like you're walking uphill, that just plain bullshit.

So basically I'm super impressed with the construction and design. I don't notice the ring and really don't even notice the harness. As for the ring intruding on putting your hands down, thats not really true either. If you want to walk with your hands at your side that is true. But if you want to walk with your weapon or your touch or Vive controllers in front of you, I've found that they can pretty much hang in a natural position. I'm surprised everyone with an Omni all this time hasn't made a video or post touching on these topics, at least I haven't seen them.

Now, I've used the Omni last night with PSVR and my AIM controller and farpoint and it was awesome. I just used the left stick to move and faked moving with my legs on the Omni. Not ideal but so much better than playing farpoint without the Omni as I kept crashing into things as the PSVR doesn't really have a boundry system. Just the action of moving my legs in the stepping OMNI motion adds to immersion.

I'm going to play more PSVR games with it from now on. I have all my headsets cords routed to a cieling hook, but I'll be picking up the Omni boom and VR rack this week.

Omni veterans, can anyone inform me on what is the best way to achieve the best experience with the Omni? I heard that if you download the latest software it locks out all legacy support. What is the exact process I can use now to make sure I get the most out of the Omni? I have VorpX installed, I have my Oculus Touch ready to go, and I have modded versions of Doom 3 BFG, and all my steam versions of Skyrim, Fallout, and GTA ready to go. :)

Again, let me state that I feel that if Virtuix would reopen and support the consumer market they could be the leaders going into VRs second stage coming in 2018/2019. Arcades isn't going to do it. Maybe in China, but in the rest of the world where disposable income is more common people spend big bucks on their home entertainment. Pool tables, ping pong, Pinball machines, arcade machine, all have the same or larger footprints and are huge all over the world. C'mon Virtuix you're blowing it, bring Omni back to the masses and rule this segment.
    MAYAman said:

I heard that if you download the latest software it locks out all legacy support.

I can answer most of your questions, but I’m not sure what you mean by locking out legacy support. Are you saying your Omni no longer works with AAA games?
    This is a misunderstanding...the original statement was that the latest SDK only worked with Omniverse...which was (wrongly) taken to mean that if you updated to the latest software it would kill legacy support.

The latest software works fine with legacy support. There is also an SDK coming that is not tied to Omniverse reportedly coming out (which is great as that’s direct support for us consumers and indie devs)