Shoe Mod for wide feet - frankenshoe

bugmagebugmage Posts: 11
edited May 29 in Kickstarter Backers
Hey guys,

So when I received my omni I was super hyped about it. Quickly I noticed it became painful to use it for more than a half hour due to the shoes and my wide feet. They fit well but they front sides of the shoe pinched my feet a bit. At the time of creating this post I would have purchased a wide shoe size if Virtuix had the option. I have wide feet so normally I buy 4E shoes. I tried some insoles that did help but today I decided to build these. They are version 1.0 and I will be testing them this week but so far so good. Anyway this probably impacts your warranty so please be aware and mod at your own risk. Also I make no claims to any trademarks, they are owned by their respective owners.

I would love it if the omni had some adjustable attachment that could clip onto the bottom of any shoe and then they could sell the special plastic replacement pads that screw into the bottom of it. That would be a great idea for the arcades where you have high shoe size variety and high usage. (I know wrong forum section)

Build:
I drilled some holes in the shoe then did one zip in the front and back and one on each side into a mini zip loop I made into the shoe. I hope because the surface has low friction the zip ties will hold. I used a hot knife to cut the pointy edges of the zipties (They could probably be sanded). Then I put contact cement into the zip tie holes just in case. If the rear of the shoe starts slipping I might have to add zip ties in the back or try gluing the entire sole. I'm trying to avoid bulk usage of glue. I'm hoping the treads on the top shoe keep it somewhat centered. Ignore the extra drill holes I had a version 0 :smile:
Also I could have probably kept the front and back parts of the shoe if I had gone a size up when I purchased the Omni shoe.

Happy Gaming

Comments

• bugmagebugmage Posts: 11
    edited May 29
    For a version 2.0 I might cut the base of the top shoe but I wanted to try this first.
  • travis1409travis1409 Posts: 130
    How well does it work on the Omni?
  • XainXain Posts: 122
    @bugmage Forgot to mention this before, buy something called Barge Cement. Its basically glue for shoes, I use it in cosplay and have used ot to repair my boots, **** works wonders and will never come off.
    edited May 30
    Thanks @Xain I will check it out. I intentionally did not glue this yet in case the balance wears out before the sliding sole. @travis1409 now that the holiday is over I will try to put a hour or so on it tonight.
  • sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,059
    Stay safe guys, try not to inhale the fumes if you're working with glue!
    Community Manager at Virtuix
    Put a hour on them, so far so good. Super comfortable. I think however my weight is forward a tad due to the padding on the back of the top shoe. So I will trim it a bit and see if that helps. Other than that was able to run fine.
    Awesome! This might b a better solution than mine. I just don't want to destroy my omni shoes in case it doesn't work for me.
    edited June 5
    Version 2.0 Moved the shoe back a little and cut the heel a bit and the back of the shoe. Added another tie on the side to keep it from moving forward.

Working any better now? Are you having problems with tracking?