Pre order notification thread

2»

Comments

• yannisyannis Posts: 13
    In the investors update they also said that thet distributed more than 2000 units bit also added that current customers and distributors have ordered secind and third containers. Each container is 100 units, based on an old newsletter.
    They also added that for the first time last month they made a profit. Just 100k but profit.
    In that newsletter they emphatically thank their early supporters for making the company great. Didn't mention screwing us in the process.
    OK. I got THE EMAIL and paid the shipping cost. Let's see how soon i'll get it. Original order number was 2927 placed 11/01/2014 at 02:02PM.
    In the email they pretty much tell you that if you own a Rift you pretty much buying a hunk of plastic and metal and if you own vive it's a bit less of a hunk but not much. I am putting my faith on the hacker community to use the hardware and "fix" the software.
    Cheers everyone and good luck.
    Y
  • JoeJoe Posts: 180
    That email sounds updated from the one I received, which didn't mention rift vs. vive...can you post the contents? I'd be curious to know the wording, esp. since they changed their support of a device that I, and others purchased, with the belief that it would work with Rift
    here it is. The rest is order info.

Greetings from Virtuix!

We are pleased to report that we are preparing to ship your Omni soon! We sincerely appreciate your patience as we realize the wait has been much longer than anticipated. Thank you for coming on this journey with us. We would not be here without you.

We do want to make you aware that the Omni has changed significantly since you placed your order. Virtuix has shifted its focus to the commercial market and is no longer working with content developers to create consumer focused content. The content platform we are building is designed for the commercial market and most games will not be available to consumers. Additionally, our games are developed for the HTC Vive and do not support the Oculus Rift HMD. We are happy to ship your order but wanted to make sure you know what you are getting. If this does not meet your needs, we will be happy to refund your order.

Wow...thankyou. That's so damn disappointing to those of us with Rifts, or that supported them. I think we guessed it in the forums, but that's the first time I've seen them come out and essentially say it.
    No worries. Microsoft threw a curve ball on the entire VR industry and soon all will have to comply with the Mixed Reality standard.
  • If your order was placed Nov 1st 2014, and you just got the e-mail... my Jan 20th 2015 pre-order probably has a few more months to go :X
  • Ouch, my order was placed in early 2016. I guess I should relinquish all hope.
    See the omnivr overlay thread...honestly having an Omni without that work isn't terribly exciting...but with it...it opens up a TON of potential and could make it a consumer device again (IMO)
  • willEwillE Posts: 5
    So pretty much Virtuix is saying they sat on our money all this time, but will no longer actually support games we can play at home? Joe, how are you enjoying your Omni these days? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the refund. I think that's what they want. It's really sad.
    that's exactly what they did. I'm not enjoying my Omni at all...I'm hoping that I can get the Omni vr driver working or Evols solution at some point, but honestly it's just a huge hassel. Everyone's playing VR games like Doom and such, and games got adapted to seated or other experiences. I haven't used my VR setup because the Omni kind of dominated the corner of the room and the headset...to use the headset I have to stand in the Omni right now, or rewire a bunch of crap. It's pretty miserable. If you're looking to dev, then I'd say go for it, you'll get to dev. but for the room it takes up, I kinda regret having it.

The other side of the coin though is I think Virtuix will be out of business at some point...and then there won't be a way to get one at all. None of the 'self builds' have come close to what they delivered.
  • willEwillE Posts: 5
    I don't actually dev, but I'm a member of a group of game developers who have been waiting patiently on this thing to come in. I'm going to house it in the group facility in downtown Memphis. The main reason I haven't asked for a refund for the unit is because so many people are waiting to get their hands on it. It'd be selfish. In Virtuix's early days I thought about investing. I'm really happy I didn't do it. What is it that turns otherwise good people with good intentions into the worst type? Ah, money.
2»