OpenVR OMNI Overlay

13»

Comments

• SkaarahSkaarah Posts: 51
    MarkV said:

Skaarah, how can I help with the donation? Paypal? Patreon? Or something else?

Here is a paypal link. https://paypal.me/pools/c/81eZoHWVPa
    A quick update on progress. I tried playing FalloutVR with it. It worked pretty well for the most part. Up until I had to run up hill. At that point the game decided that I was meant to be underground and I fell under the game world. So I'm working now on the overlay application and what I want to do is have some sliders that I can interpolate between any axis offset, trackpad input, etc. I think this will help alleviate boundary issues for games that support trackpad locomotion.
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 80
    Okay, I kicked it off with a $100 donation - it's the least I can do given all the hard work people have been putting in to make the Omni usable.
  • $50 from me just now. I have not tried this or even gotten the Omni setup yet, but like MarkV I appreciate the work in trying to get Omni usable.
    edited January 23
    Trying it is on my list as my well. I grabbed the distribution last night and it looks like you just use a command in the SteamVR binaries directory (vrregpath) to add the path of the DLL that is included in Skaarah's distribution. There's a removepath as well, so I imagine if it breaks something, it's easy enough to undo. I'm unclear whether OpenVR needs to be installed as I think I installed it on everything.

Oh, one more thing - if you're trying to figure this stuff out for yourself because you haven't had the time to keep up with everything, I highly recommend OVRDrop (at least for Steam games). It allows you to put a window up inside of VR and manipulate that window (or the whole desktop). I think the new Oculus Dash stuff does this as well. I thought OVRDrop was supposed to work with Oculus games, but I wasn't able to get it working in From Other Suns (for example).

Anyway, the reason OVRDrop matters is so that you can change settings and read documentation without having to go back and forth in the headset and the Omni. I have one of the Omni stands (VR Rack) and have the keyboard right up next to the Omni so I can type while in VR. Still inconvenient, but nowhere near as annoying as having to exit and enter the Omni every time I need to do something. OVRDrop lets you pull the window up nice and close so you can actually read text in windows and then shove it away when you aren't using it. I like to put the window above myself as I am typically not looking up. You can also hide it with spacebar (that is configurable as well).

Another thought - haven't tried this with the Omni, but a while ago I picked up a Targus wireless keypad (https://www.amazon.com/Targus-Wireless-Numeric-Keypad-AKP11US/dp/B002NUYTCA) and mounted it to some sort of Velcro ipad band. You wear it on your forearm... It's a great way to have macros on hand when you can't get to your keyboard. A lot nerdy and it's not a high quality keypad, but sometimes having another 18 keys to press can be useful. If you don't want it conflicting with your existing keyboard macros, there is an application (have to dig to find it again) out there that will let you assign different devices to appear as different keyboards to windows. Thinking about this - wasn't there a keyboard tray that was supposed to mount directly to the Omni ? Sort of like a mobile VR Rack ? Since the harness/diaper rides around the Omni donut, I can see where this is an issue.
    edited January 24
    MarkV said:

Okay, I kicked it off with a $100 donation - it's the least I can do given all the hard work people have been putting in to make the Omni usable.

$50 from me just now. I have not tried this or even gotten the Omni setup yet, but like MarkV I appreciate the work in trying to get Omni usable.

HOLY HELL YOU GUYS! Thank you! I was expecting just a couple dollars. With that enthusiasm I'll focus on getting the installer and steamworks ready. Good idea on the mini keyboard. I have one for my TV pc but never thought to strap one on for vr. @MarkV: you don't need to install anything from OpenVR except for having steamVR installed from inside steam. The only reason to install the openVR sdk is to build the apps yourself. Which btw I have included in the git repo as submodules.

Edit: My profile avatar is exactly how I look right now thinking about your generosity.
    Any updates for the weekend? I hope to get some time to play with your existing stuff this weekend.
    I got approved for Steamworks but I'm still working on the installer. I'll try packaging it up tonight and upload it and generate some beta keys.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 198
    Skaarah said:

I got approved for Steamworks but I'm still working on the installer. I'll try packaging it up tonight and upload it and generate some beta keys.

AWESOME!!!!!
    edited January 28
    Alright gents. I do believe the installation is ready to go. Just have to wait for the product keys to go through. PM me "GimmeStemKeyPlz" and once I get one I'll pass it to you. Testing on your various environments will not be smooth so please be patient with me.
    when trying to launch it i am getting invalid app configuration
    edited February 1
    There currently is no launchable options. Once it installs it should just work. If not than I botched something. I think I'll write up a quick configurator app to use as the launch options with some buttons to help figure out the problem.
  • I disabled the hydra drivers from the workaround, launched vanishing realms with slide settings on, and nothing happened. I'll try some other games, and see if the movement works. I have openinput emulator still installed, as well as using the beta input branch of steamVR. I could be missing something, or maybe something is somehow conflicting, but I have plenty patience as we test things out.
    ty MrHmYesQuite. The OpenInputEmulator might have conflictions. My driver is doing some similar tricks so can you try uninstalling that? Btw it should even work in vrHome. I was just reading up on some games though and it seems like a lot of games have a 10x10 walkable area. So the current implementation wont work well for those games. I've been working on getting the customizer overlay application in so that you can edit the configuration while inside of vr.
    Skaarah, by "just work", do you mean - install it, run game, nothing to configure? Turn on the Omni, start Fallout 4 VR, walk around ? Should get to try it out tonight. I do get the "(invalid app configuration)" but that sounds like it is just because Steam wants a configuration file and there isn't one.
    It throws that error right now because there isn't anything for it to launch just yet. But I figured since I'm making a helper app to try and debug these issues I might as well pack it into the overlay application at the same time. I'll try to have that up and running by this weekend.
    I'm still working on the configurator. In the mean time I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the steamworks liscense and to those who have been helping to test. It's going to be a long road getting this to be a semi professional product but we will get there.
    Okay. Ive updated the beta branch with a piece of the overlay app. it has a button to install the driver. Something isn't working with the steamworks install settings so for now try running that. It is located in bin/win64 of the OpenOmni install path.
    Small update while I figure out how the new Input system works.
    - launch options updated. should show config app when launched.
    - added stubs for omni configuration
    Just checking in on how things are doing. Skyrim VR will be the next FO4 for Omni so it will be interesting to see if it can working with the Omni.
    Things have been a bit crazy so I haven't had much time to work on it. But the current beta release should support locomotion controls replaced with the omni input. The forward direction of walking will move you in the direction the first vive wand that was turned on.
    Skaarah, thanks for the update. Should we assume that the directionality of the Omni ring will be hard to support generically? Your work is based on the OpenVR SDK ?
    Right now my current trouble isn't using the direction of the omni ring. In fact that all works perfectly. The problem is with most locomotion implementations. I can't tell the game what the yaw ... is ... wow. Okay, so, in my explaination I figured out what I need to do to fix it but you might not like it. Lemme break it down real quick.

Most locomotion games use the direction the wand is facing to set what the forward walking vector is. For example, in PavlovVR when you point the wand forward and press UP on the touchpad your character walks forward. When you point the wand to the left and press UP on the touch pad your character walks left. The road block I was hitting was in attempting to 'undo' the wand orientation. In my head the math checks out but for some reason it just wasn't working out.

My new plan that you might not like is to replace the wand YAW value with the Omni YAW value. I'll test out how it goes with only overriding when walking but it might not make a big difference. I'll get working on that tomorrow.
    Upon the request of ragtag I started a discord channel. https://discord.gg/XPq8xh2
    And after debugging a little bit I found out the paths for the install button were wrong so it should work now.
    so does this work with the Rift or is it strictly Vive? i am having no luck at all with it
    Rabid, the game would need to support OpenVR. I don't know if the Oculus specific games are using it.
    ok, has anyone gotten this working with a steam VR game using the rift?
  • Sponge101Sponge101 Posts: 477
    I'm curious too. Want to try this method myself for the Rift.
13»