Anyone gotten their Omni to work in gamepad mode?

As most games have xbox only support, I’ve only had a few games to test it with, but I’ve tried Halo, F.E.A.R., and been GTA San Andreas, and still can’t get gamepad mode to work. Does anyone know of a game that has worked in this mode?

Comments

• sutekiBsutekiB Posts: 1,057
    Hi @lipplog, no - Gamepad mode is mainly for Omni games. It's possible to use a program called X360CE to convert gamepad mode into Xbox gamepad analog stick output, but the process for doing this is not very user friendly in my experience. You are better off playing the game with keyboard controls, putting Omni Connect in Keyboard mode, and mapping the actions to a gamepad using Xpadder or the Steam Controller app.
    Community Manager at Virtuix
  • EVOLEVOL Posts: 37
    edited October 15
    I use X360CE, I prefer it to using Xpadder and it's free unlike Xpadder. However sutekiB is correct about it not being user friendly if you don't already know the program. I have used it for years for my vehicle simulators, when games don't have wheel support.
  • lipploglipplog Posts: 73
    Thanks. Yes, I tried both those applications and was thoroughly confused. I’ll stick to keyboard.
    Unless there’s anyone willing to share their configures X360CE or xpadder game files that I can drag and drop into my game root folders. That would be amazing.
    edited October 16
    What controller are you using with the omni?
    edited October 16

I’m using an HTC Vive.

edited October 16
    Okay, but which controller will you use with the OMNI for legacy games? For example xbox360 with wireless dongle or what I use currently is a Cabela's Top Shot Elite.

I suppose it should be possible to use the Vive wands using the vorpX built in controller emulation. I have not tried that yet. I will try that tomorrow night. I painted my VR room today and had to take down the Vive base stations so I can't test anything until it dries.
    Oh. Yeah, I’ve been using my Vive controllers via VorpX from the start. But I have a wireless Xbox 360 if necessary. Though I haven’t used it since my DK2. Are any of your game configurations for the Xbox controller?
    So I just tried setting up the OMNI as a xbox360 controller by itself, and then using vorpX wand controller emulation. The issue here is that vorpx creates a second xbox360 controller which wont work because it defaults to controller 2 and the OMNI is set as controller 1. X360ce can combine multiple controllers into one. I had success in the one game I have tried so far "Hard Reset" using the wands in keyboard/mouse emulation mode and OMNI emulated as an xbox360 this is a valid option as long as the game accepts keyboard/mouse and xbox360 controls at the same time. I'm going to do some more testing with different games now.
    I got an email today from Virtuix support saying they’ve moved away from supporting gamepad mode due to the complex nature of setting it up using third-party software. But I’m assuming it still works, if you understand how to use x360ce and xwrapper. I failed to grasp both.
    Here is x360ce setup for OMNI to xbox360 controller emulation only. You will have to set vorpX motion controller emulation to keyboard/mouse as stated above and set that up within vorpX. Drop the contents of either the Win32 or Win64 archive depending on the game into the same directory as the game executable. I will find my Wireless xbox360 and setup combined controller configs and post those as well later. You shouldn't have to open x360ce at all just launch the game. You should hear the windows "System Notification" sound upon launching the game this lets you know x360ce has launched properly.
    Thank you so much!! I can’t wait to try them out.
    Here is x360ce setup for OMNI and Xbox360 (wireless dongle) combined.
  • MAYAmanMAYAman Posts: 55
    ^^^Can this be used with the Xbox One wireless dongle as well? I can't find my Xbox 360 dongle.
    I stepped on my Xbox One controller and broke it, I'll pick up a new one and see about doing it soon.
    x360ce doesn't have any keyboard/mouse to gamepad emulation. So for vorpX key bindings another software must be used. I personally don't like Xpadder I only recently bought it because sutekiB had suggested it in all his guides and forum posts. I looked at creating key bindings in it because I'm sure most people here will have it instead of my personal choice. Pinnacle Game Profiler However Xpadder sucks! The only options I could use for key bindings would be hold (insert button) for (amount of time) or tap (insert button) (amount of times) to activate key binding. Pinnacle allows me to create a Shift key on the controller, any button pressed while the shift key is held can be a key binding. Pinnacle comes with a free trial and is currently on sale for $6.99.

After it is installed run it, click on the right where it says Game Profiles.

Click the Import button and select the vorpx Key Bindings.pin file. (This forum won't let me post this file.)

Click OK and it takes you back to the first page. If you haven't already turn on your Xbox360 controller. Select it as the Device and vorpX Key Binding as the Config. Press Play.

Here are the Key Bindings when you hold the LB button they are active.

I created all the key bindings for vorpX however the mouse wheel would work in game but vorpX would not recognize it so to use the HUD Scale and Image Zoom You still have to use the mouse wheel sadly. I played around with it for awhile and moved key bindings around to what I felt was best and omitted a few that seemed unnecessary. You can still open the vorpX menu and navigate it with either stick then use the right trigger to select any other options.
    Here is x360ce setup for OMNI and XboxONE (wireless dongle) combined.

I'm having trouble getting Pinnacle to recognize the XboxONE controller properly.