HOW TO: Play any VR Game With Full Locomotion on Omni! Arizona Sunshine Verified

EVOLEVOL Posts: 123
After lots of research, experimentation, and several sleepless nights I finally got this working! It's not for the faint of heart. You must install a ton of software and configure it all. However it does work great once completed. I put together an install document, it certainly could use some improvements. Maybe after I get some sleep I can improve it. I'm pretty sure it's all accurate but I could have missed something. I wrote this based on memory. Click Here for Instructions

This has been created and tested for Arizona Sunshine but will work with any game that includes Full Locomotion. You may have to make changes to the script file for some games. If you make any changes for a game or just some improvement to the script please post it here. The Script file should be self explanatory it is currently basic and easy to read.

This does require SteamVR but should work for Oculus through Revive however this has not been tested yet! I will try to get that tested in the next day or two.

Everyone do what you can to push developers to add Full Locomotion to their games, this is much more likely than requesting Omni SDK support and almost as good.

Comments

• Jesus dude, you're a genius at this stuff, though it still begs the question: How hard would it be to just add regular gamepad inputs to vr games as a rule?
  • EVOLEVOL Posts: 123
    Lol, thanks! I spent a lot of money on these Omni units and I refuse to not have software to play on them. While I agree developers should just add always active regular gamepad input into their games it's not likely that many ever will. When developers even add gamepad support it's almost always a one or the other situation. (Gamepad or motion controllers.)
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    dude! this is fantastic! anyone test with touch controllers?
    @admin have you seen this? this is what we have been asking you for
    UPDATE: The Instructions have changed a little. The Script files have been updated for "Click to run games" when you run on the Omni it will click for you now. Also added a new game The Gallery EP2.
    edited November 10
    UPDATE: Oculus Touch support confirmed within SteamVR. Instructions changed to reflect this.

NOTE: Oculus Users who have not updated Omni firmware. It should still work but the newer firmware adds more range to the Omni Forward/Backward movement which really improves the overall experience. Also the scripts are designed for this amount of range so they will need to be tweaked for the old firmware.
    edited November 11
    I'm compiling a list of all the VR games with motion controller and full/free locomotion support. I know I'm missing quite a few. If you know of any missing please inform me here or on this steam group.

Steam: (Many on Oculus also)
    Arizona Sunshine
    Bullets And More VR - BAM VR
    Climbey
    Dead Effect 2
    Dead Moon - Revenge on Phobos
    Don't Knock Twice
    Doom 3
    Dreadhalls
    HALF-LIFE (With Mod) (Expansion Packs Also)
    Island 359
    OVERTURN
    Onward
    Paranormal Activity: The Lost Soul
    Pavlov
    Quake II (With Mod)
    Raw Data
    Robinson: The Journey
    Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
    Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
    Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
    Technolust
    The Gallery EP2
    The IOTA Project
    The Wizards
    VINDICTA
    Windlands

Has Official Omni Support:
    Karnage Chronicles
    VRZ Torment

Oculus Exclusives:
    B99
    From Other Suns
    Minecraft
    Robo Recall (With mod only?)
    edited November 11
    UPDATE: Tried to play an Oculus game (Technolust) on Vive headset using Revive. Omni control was very unreliable. I think this was due to Revive already doing controller emulation. I will have to do more testing but it seems Oculus games played through Revive on a Vive headset is not going to be a viable option.

I own very few games on Oculus, I only have Technolust because I was a backer and then they refused to give me a Steam key. (Pretty shitty..) I had never used Revive before tonight. I never had a reason to before due to owning an Oculus also. The Vive wands do not translate well to touch from what I experienced.
    edited November 12
    UPDATE: Instructions have changed for a simpler installation. The script has been updated and now works good for all 3 tested games in one script. (Maybe works decent in most if not all games? Unsure..) Revive support added for Oculus headset/controllers, Robo Recall w/Locomotion mod tested. It's awesome!! (Revive support may be possible on Vive headset/controllers but will take more time to get it working, and I might not get around to it for awhile. I want to play games!)

NOTE: This forum is dead. :/
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 46
    edited November 12
    Evol, thanks for this effort. It's AWESOME. Or will be when I get some time to actually play with my Omni. And the forum isn't completely dead. I still come and read, just don't contribute much/anything. I suspect there are others. Where did you get the RoboRecall location mod ? I never saw it released anywhere.
    I thought I had put the link in the document. However I see that I didn't. I put it on there now, but here it is also. Locomotion Mod v6
  • JoeJoe Posts: 160
    You may have brought me back. I won’t get to try this till early December most likely sadly, but this looks exciting. The work is appreciated
  • travis1409travis1409 Posts: 130
    Holy **** this is so awesome! Gotta try some of these when I get some time.
  • I also thank you... although my omni hasn't arrived yet, I'm saving a copy of these instructions for when it does.
    im already looking foward to playing From Other Suns with it
  • jgwinnerjgwinner Posts: 39
    Wow! I looked over your script and directions - absolutely brilliant.

I wonder if someone that can write a device driver could package this up and make it a nice clean install. Geez, I might be able to do this in a couple of weeks. I'm just finishing up a book on WebVR.

== John ==
    edited November 14
    You are all welcome!
    UPDATE: Bad news.... Apparently the Hydra drivers used have conflicts with some games. Instructions updated with some new working games and some that don't work at all. Also added instructions on disabling the drivers for the games that require it. :'(
    jgwinner said:

Wow! I looked over your script and directions - absolutely brilliant.

I wonder if someone that can write a device driver could package this up and make it a nice clean install. Geez, I might be able to do this in a couple of weeks. I'm just finishing up a book on WebVR.

== John ==

That would be awesome if you could write a OpenVR driver for the Omni. As noted above I'm starting to find games which conflict with the Hydra Driver.
    Can you explain a quick summary of how th spicers work together? For instance what is the hydra portion doing, what is Free
    Pie doing Etc. I’d like to understand the architecture so we can look at where we can try to update or adjust
    Okay, so Valve made OpenVR drivers for the Hydra to work with SteamVR. The sixense_fake dll files allow FreePIE to emulate the Hydra. FreePIE supports various controllers including DirectInput controllers like the Omni. OpenVR-InputEmulator remaps OpenVR controllers. This does the Hydra to Vive wand or Touch controller emulation. It also does the remapping of some Touch controller buttons for Revive's built in Touch to Vive emulation.

So it goes like this:
    Omni > FreePIE > Hydra > OpenVR-InputEmulator > Vive or Touch
    edited November 14
    What needs to be done is DirectInput controller support added to OpenVR-InputEmulator. With all the functions of my script.
    K that makes sense...that would simplify this down to install openvrinputemulator and done. And I see we have that source. Excellent!
    edited November 14
    Go Joe Go! :D
    OK, you guys have me super excited about the Omni again :)
    Adding support for the Omni directly into OpenVR-InputEmulator would be so awesome and would certainly fix this issue with some games conflicting with the Hydra drivers. Also would be extremely nice to edit Omni settings on the fly inside VR and save profiles for games directly. Even better if it auto switched profiles for each game.
    edited November 14
    k. OpenVR-InputEmulator has a console project it looks like, in that source there is a method for axisEvent that seems to inject an x/y for the axis. My initial thought is to build a simple app that listens for the analog stick from the gamepad mode of the Omni, and then just relays that to OpenVR-InputEmulator via that method in the console project (I'd try to just bring up a c# project, and do this via marshalling the calls, since it'd be clean and easy in .net to expand on the functionality). I wont be able to test it on an actual Omni till December, but I can work on some code next week and send it your way to test if that works. Also if you have c++ skills, that's the approach I'd take. This would remove most of the steps. Please tell me more about the settings for the Omni that you want set...is it stuff like turning down sensitivity because certain games work well/don't work well based on it?
    edited November 15
    This forum hates me today it deleted my post twice and now when I try to put it up again it gets flagged for approval. I'm pretty sure I can post it again in an hour or so without approval. (This happened once before.) Luckily I saved it in a document this time so I won't have to rewrite it a third time... :s

Click here to see the document....
    @admin @sutekiB are you guys paying attention to this?
    No worries Evol, I saw one of them come through with some settings, and I'll keep that in mind when I design it. I'll also have to see if i there are regkeys that are managing the settings that we can fiddle with to dynamically set them (If you have time to fiddle, grab a copy of regmon from sysinternals...use that, set a setting in the Omni sw, see what you see in regmon, then tweak the key and see if something that matches shows up).. That's a handy trick for figuring out a way to program against a lot of things. If they do store it in the registry, then it's easy to manipulate outside of their program typically. I could then do a profiles portion that saves off settings per game via xml or something, and we could just share those files.
  • This is some crazy stuff. I had almost given up on the Omni, was even thinking about reselling because of total lack of support apart from what, VRZTorment? But this, well, we have a few people in the community who are working on the problem. Now if @Admin would go ahead and send out a news letter listing out the mods here for the benefit of those who aren't paying attention to the forum anymore but are still signed up to the feed, well, that would be very nice for a few people.