HOW TO: Play any VR Game With Full Locomotion on Omni! Arizona Sunshine Verified

13»

Comments

• no lol.
  • EVOLEVOL Posts: 137
    lol... yeah that is definitely required...
  • Ok so i tested again in pavlov in coupled mode and it definitely followed my initial observation, also the other thing that notice is that the moving forward and back depends on leaning forward or back on the strap/hip. even if i move my feet forward if im leaning back i move forward in game. If i lean back and move my feet forward i move back. I would have to try again in decoupled mode maybe weekend afternoon if i get home earlier. if not mondaysince im off. What games have you personally played successfully with omni and oculus.?
    edited November 17
    Honestly only Robo Recall I really only use my Oculus for Oculus exclusives. I'll give some other games that have been tested on my Vive a go when I can.

I'll buy Pavlov next time it goes on sale...
    I'm not sure how new you are to the Omni. So maybe you don't know this... The Omni is designed so you must lean forward to walk forward. To walk backwards or strafe you lean backward.
  • JoeJoe Posts: 172
    To debug, in the Omni software, under advanced, you can select 'streaming' and see what the Omni software 'thinks' you're doing....that is the best way to figure out what's going on..if it's the Omni, the game, etc.

In slightly other news, all of my attempts to get input from the Omni were failing. I decided to drop the other approaches and just get SlimDx setup. 3 lines of code later...I can see the Omni in my code...next up...capturing input...if I pull that off that'll remove both FreePIE AND Hydra from the mix...

I have to give this a break for about two weeks sadly, visiting parents for the holidays. I have the Omni input captured, and have access to the open input driver. One thing that would be a HUGE help Evol is if you or someone can download the client command line for openvremulator and let me know of that works for you. Try clientcommand axis 3 1 1 1 (assuming that “clientcommand listdevices” comes back showing your touch controller as “3”. Let me know if that moves you as if the analog stick is pushed.

The command line is essentially the device id, the axis id, the x and then the y values.

So “clientcommand axis 3 0 1 0” I think will move the stick forward on the X axis. With that info I may be able to develop while visiting family, but away from my Omni :)
    edited November 18
    Here you go Joe these are the Axis commands. Sorry for the delay wasn't able to look into this until just now.

client_commandline.exe axisevent 5 0 0 1 Forward
    client_commandline.exe axisevent 5 0 0 -1 Backward

client_commandline.exe axisevent 5 0 0 0 Center

client_commandline.exe axisevent 5 0 1 0 Right
    client_commandline.exe axisevent 5 0 -1 0 Left

Doesn't seem to be any way to have analog control though sadly. It's just a full press event.

My Left controller is 5 due to the Hydra controllers. When you activate the Axis through the command it locks the axis until updated either with command or controller.
    I think you can pass like .3 and such (decimals) at least according to the code. Did it hang on the console when you ran that it does the console let you send another command? This may be really good news for. Shack I have in mind till I can wrap the vr input emulator code
    edited November 18
    I can keep sending commands.

Vive Buttons:
    System 0
    Menu 1
    Grip 2
    Touchpad 7

Opps didn't even think to try decimals... :/
    edited November 18
    Touch Buttons:
    System = 0 (Both controllers activated SteamVR menu no Oculus Menu.)
    Y or B = 1
    X or A = 7

I couldn't find the thumbstick button I checked up to 15 I think..

I also did try decimals and that worked great.
    Excellent! I think the axis will be enough for what we want...we’d still need the controllers to aim and shoot and stuff, just want to walk to move. That’s great news! I may try to rig up something to test, but I won’t be much use till I am back in town with my Omni. Till then please keep the game list coming, this is a huge breakthrough
    Only button needed for omni is the run button which is the thumbpad/stick on all games that I know of. I was just trying to find them..
  • So i tested this with onward and it works. I think its the way the thumb stick is works in the game. Question in onwards how do i run faster? i don't think running on omni speeds you up.
    I don't have Onward. I read the default run control is a double press and hold of the touch pad. Hopefully you can change this in game to just press and hold, which is what the default script does.
    edited November 21
    UPDATE: I have spent the last couple nights gathering a list of all games which have free locomotion. I'm sure I'm still missing some but I think I've got most of them at this point. Some of these games may not actually have free locomotion. I guessed on some based on videos or the vague info provided. I also have tested a few more Unreal games and sadly some still don't work even if you disable the Hydra controllers before launch. I've also determined what engine most of these games use and put that on the list as well. This list is really for my own testing so it has notes on games I've tried out without the Omni to gauge if I think the Omni will work with them or not. I'll provide this list for anyone who might find use for it. Click Here For The List
    nice work!! I won’t make progress on my side till December sadly due to the holiday, but hoping my approach gets past some of the limitations in unreal, or that we can figure it out. Does using the command line work in unreal?
    I'm certain your solution will solve the unreal issue. It is only because of the Hydra driver.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 173
    EVOL said:

UPDATE: I have spent the last couple nights gathering a list of all games which have free locomotion. I'm sure I'm still missing some but I think I've got most of them at this point. Some of these games may not actually have free locomotion. I guessed on some based on videos or the vague info provided. I also have tested a few more Unreal games and sadly some still don't work even if you disable the Hydra controllers before launch. I've also determined what engine most of these games use and put that on the list as well. This list is really for my own testing so it has notes on games I've tried out without the Omni to gauge if I think the Omni will work with them or not. I'll provide this list for anyone who might find use for it. Click Here For The List

POLLEN, The Assembly, and original Doom also have free locomotion
    edited November 22
    Thank you RABID, added them to the list.
  • Where to I donate?
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 173
    theres a mod out now to add standard locomotion to Doom VFR by binding the touch controller to WASD movement on keyboard. wonder if any of it could be useful here?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7h6nva/smooth_locomotion_in_doomvfr_for_rift_i_scripted/
    I haven't used Autohotkey since many years ago (used it to run bots in mmo games) When I get a chance I'll have to look into this..
  • RABID said:

theres a mod out now to add standard locomotion to Doom VFR by binding the touch controller to WASD movement on keyboard. wonder if any of it could be useful here?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7h6nva/smooth_locomotion_in_doomvfr_for_rift_i_scripted/

Adding to this for Vive.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7hap1x/video_user_uomarehaly_tried_posting_that_shows/
  • MarkVMarkV Posts: 48
    An Omni demo with the released Doom VFR will get some hits on Youtube. Just sayin'
  • Saw this game added trackpad locomotion: Unknightly

Saw this game added trackpad locomotion: Unknightly

I knew the developer had said it would be added in the next version. I was unaware the update came so soon.

Thanks for letting me know! :)
13»